Ever had a final boss fight that required you to give it your all?

PostZordem

Final boss fights are usually the battles that require the player to use every ounce of their skill and abilities in order to defeat them (and maybe a little luck, too). Though for me, I haven't had to use everything I had since beating Dragon Quest 3's final boss, at least until today. So, I just beat Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door for the very first time today, and I thought it was an awesome game (makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't continue with the TTYD format). From the characters to story to gameplay, TTYD was simply a masterpiece in an otherwise gimmicky series (excluding the original Paper Mario for the N64). Most of the bosses in this game weren't too hard to beat, either. Well, at least until I fought the Shadow Queen in TTYD's final boss fight. 

Here were my stats for Mario going into the fight: Health (HP): 50/50; Flower Points (FP): 50/50; Badge Points (BP): 30. As for my partners, Goombella and Bobbery were the only partners I bothered to upgrade twice. Everyone else only got one upgrade. I had about 3 Ultra Shrooms, 1 Jammin' Jelly, 2 Revive Shrooms, a Repel Cape, Electric Mushroom, and a Super Shroom. Suffice to say, I had a bunch of healing items prepared before the final boss fight. As for badges, I didn't have a single power or defense buffing badge equipped, and instead used them for additional moves for Mario, and one very important badge that allows the player to switch out a partner without using up a turn. 

Phases 1 and 2 of the Shadow Queen boss fight weren't too bad, but once a rather long cutscene had ended and both Mario, his active partner, and the Shadow Queen had full health going into Phase 3, it was truly time to finish off the demon that lies beyond The Thousand Year Door. The Shadow Queen was no pushover, and proved to be far tougher than both Grodus and Bowser + Kammy Koopa combined (a back-to-back boss fight which also occurs within the Shadow Palace). Not only is she the only boss in TTYD to have health in the triple digits, but she also has plenty of attacks that can deal a good amount of damage to either Mario or his partner. It really did require everything I had in order to defeat her. Every single partner except Ms Mowz was near death, I had to use every single item I had, and I mostly used the Crystal Stars and few of Mario's badge moves + some of the stronger partner moves in the battle. The fight got really tense once it was down to Mario, Bobbery, and the Shadow Queen (I had no FP, items, and a low crystal star meter at this point). The Shadow Queen was down to single digits of health by the end of the fight, and I had sacrificed Bobbery in order to get her health down to only 3 health points. Mario had only about 6 points of health remaining, and if I didn't take her out here, I would have to restart the entire fight over again. Thanks to a stroke of luck, Mario managed to survive the Shadow Queen's attack while Bobbery was down to 0 HP points and was out of the fight since I had no reviving mushrooms left. I jumped on the Shadow Queen one last time with Mario and took her out with a well-timed jump to end the fight. After that, the game was over and the credits rolled. 

So, that was probably the most recent case of a boss fight that required me to give it everything I had in order to win. It was truly a challenging fight, and fun as well. It was very satisfying when I took down the Shadow Queen within my very first try (Honorable mention goes to Dragon Quest 3 for also requiring me to give it my all, though I feel that the level grinding I had to do along with the special healing stone and multiple final boss fight attempts don't make it quite as special as the Shadow Queen boss fight in TTYD). 

So, has anyone else had a final boss fight that required them to give it their all? The particular game doesn't really matter. It could be Paper Mario, Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, or whatever. As long as it was a final boss fight that required you to put everything you had to the test, then it counts. 

Not in a long long time. When I was a kid, the final levels of Disgaea 2 were really tough for me. I don't think I even made it to the boss... And I never actually beat Sephiroth in Kingdom Hearts 2, but I he's not the final boss. (Xemnas was a really fun battle though.) 

Persona 5 Royal had a tough final boss, but nothing I couldn't handle, and TMS#FE's final boss was a joke by the time I actually got there due to me grinding out some weapons for skills. 

Fire Emblem bosses are pretty easy, although the Ashen Wolves boss was probably the hardest of the bunch due to the limitation of units and random warping. 

Maybe the final story boss in Pokemon Legends: Arceus? I lost the first time because I didn't expect it to be a 3-part boss battle and that third part utterly destroyed me. But once I understood what was going on, I was able to beat the boss without too much trouble. 

PS4 Spider-Man's final boss was easy, as was the final boss for Horizon: Zero Dawn...hmm....good question!

Iris in Pokemon Black 2 came close. I lost a lot of momentum when my Ampharos got an unlucky crit against Iris's Haxorus, and I think I lost 3-4 of my Pokemon against her.

Shadows of Valentia. I had to constantly keep using the most powerful spells and illusories and then spam heal my units, only 4 of whom were in any shape to fight by the time I got to Duma: Alm, Celica, Silque, and Kliff. I don't think a single boss has left me so exhausted. I really wish I was aware of Celica's route softlocking at the Tower, so I could've grinded them a bit more.

Cynthia in the original Pokémon Diamond too, but I was just a kid who went in a tad underleveled and I don't even remember what happened. But with Brilliant Diamond, I'm going to make sure things are different. I will sweep the floor: Garchomp and all! I've grown up these past 15 years since we battled last.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

Two examples come to my mind:

The first is Mr. Sandman in Punch-Out!! for Wii. I had so much trouble with his pattern in the simulation that I started sneaking in jabs and baiting his attacks, and amazingly enough, that worked.

The second was Demise in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Took me multiple tries to beat that fight, and again, I got fed up and started fighting more aggressively, getting in hits and perfect guarding as necessary.

Colony Wars : The Super Titan was hard for me to beat, mostly because you can't really strafe that well in that game and I had to find an alternate form of movement to deal with his 24ish laser turrets

Jet Force Gemini - The Ultimate Electric Jump Rope boss... not counting the one in MDK2, but that's technically only the 3rd boss and not the final boss...