[GBA; Sacred Stones] Bug?

Hello, Serenes Forest members! I have a question regarding a possible bug in the game, and I guess this may branch into all of the GBA titles.

So I was playing around with manual calculations, using the resources on the wiki to help me calculate the equations of avoid rate, hit rate, etc. And I came across something interesting.

One of my units (Vanessa) has a base avoid of 25. A generic Soldier has a base hit rate of 85. Subtract 85 from 25, and you get 60, which yes, that is what displayed for the Generic Soldier's hit rate against Vanessa when I went to check it.

However. The problem I have is that, when she goes on a pillar, she *does not* gain the +20 Avoid from standing on the pillar. Which means that, regardless if she's on or off the pillar, she will have a 60% chance of getting hit by that same Soldier instead of the reduced 40% chance being on the pillar.

Is this a known general bug? Why is this the case? Thanks in advance! Let me know if need actual images to help solve the problem.

Heyo! What you're seeing isn't a bug, though I'm not sure it's actually stated anywhere either. Flying units do not get avoid (or defense, as I recall) bonuses from terrain. This is to balance the fact that they ignore terrain penalties, though of that ability still ends up being much stronger than what you lose.

39 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Heyo! What you're seeing isn't a bug, though I'm not sure it's actually stated anywhere either. Flying units do not get avoid (or defense, as I recall) bonuses from terrain. This is to balance the fact that they ignore terrain penalties, though of that ability still ends up being much stronger than what you lose.

OHHH, okay. Thanks for this! That is good to keep in mind from now on, then. Really appreciate that.

Yes this is an easy to miss mechanic and I was probably playing Fire Emblem for 10 years before I was blown away by the discovery. The only terrain fliers are able to benefit from is the healing provided by forts and thrones. I don't recall any tutorial text or visitable house that tells you flying units don't benefit from terrain avoid. The most explicit they've ever been regarding this was probably FE1. Terrain of both units was displayed at Battle Start rather than on the map screen. And a flier's terrain was perpetually Sky - granting 0 avoid.