Would you like realistic miis?

Ace_

Nah, I think Miis are great as they are. They're very simplistic, yet have a ton of design options, and can be quite expressive. Making them "more realistic" would make it harder to build non-human Miis, or those that are intended to signify abstract concepts, since the "realism" would cause them to cleave more closely to the human mould. And I don't think that's in the players' best interests.

Hi, world's most annoying Mii user here. I appreciate them removing the dynamic proportion mechanic of Miis from 4 (for gameplay reasons, there was just no reason not to have the smallest, shortest Mii), but at the same time was a little weirded about by the human proportions given to Miis in Ultimate. Mii Swordfighter without a hat stands as tall as Cloud Strife. I think they're aesthetically funniest when they resemble Miis straight of the Wii Mii Maker channel. Then again Miis have been phased out harder than amiibos so if they were to return, I guess they could look like whatever they want so long as they keep the doofy faces and expressions.

Create-a-character is a compelling idea for Smash Bros but I can understand people being bored with miis by this point. When mii costumes of guest characters come out in place of said character, it can feel like a cop-out. A one-size fits all approach to representation, rather than something more carefully considered. Imagine if instead of Mii Altair, we got that Assassins Creed outfit for Link, or perhaps someone else that wore it in the past that's already in the roster? There are so many avenues they could explore regarding aesthetic customization, that when people react negatively to the one thing they do do (Mii Outfits) it really hammers home that something is wrong with this approach.

I really hope Miis get to stay. I can't describe the raw thrill of Fighting Chrom with a mii dressed as Chrom, using a mockery of his moves. You can still do Mii outfits at the end of the day, the Cuphead outfit is 10/10. Almost as good as if they made him a fully realized character. I was so burned when Sora arrived without an Organization XIII cowl as a Mii outfit. I could have been out there fighting Day One Soras as Nobodies of all sorts of characters. The ultimate Kingdom Hearts shitpost material, wasted.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I tend not to like "realistic" things in general, especially in juxtaposition to the cartoony and stylized. For example, the New Donkers in Super Mario Odyssey. In a game where every other inhabitant fit the cartoony mold of Mario's world just fine, the New Donkers looked like someone hacked Sims into a Mario game. By the same token, making the Miis look more "realistic" would just make me like them less than I already do, and they weren't exactly favorites of mine to begin with, though I appreciate the role the Mii Fighters play in Smash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 3:52 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't know if realistic is the right word. But less shitty. Miis with cel-shaded/anime quality on par with a Zelda/FE character? Yes! Current Miis? Just the crappy "we have x character at home" version.

Yeah, that's what I meant.