What are some of your favorite character dynamics?

Examples of what I'm talking about are: 

• Badass and Child dynamic
  • Redeemed Villain dynamic
  • Mentor (character that used to be the protagonist that train the new protagonists as an example)
  • Hyper & friendly person & quiet, pessimistic person become friends

Also provide examples of these dynamics if you can 🙂 

I personally don't really like villains with a tragic backstory since that's sort of a given at this point. But I do hate-love most evil villain characters, sort of like regina george from mean girls. Other than that, I'm a big fan of the quiet character. Especially if there's a big twist where they turn out to be the antagonist.

I wish there was an option for a "blunt character". I like characters that are straightforward and can be honest, since you don't see that a lot in real life.

• 2 months later...

This thread seems pretty interesting. I'd hate for it to disappear into the backlog of pages of the General Gaming Forum while it's only got one reply, so here are some of my personal favorite character dynamics:

Parent and Child (Kratos and Atreus from God of War 2018. Jeralt and Byleth from FE: Three Houses)- When it comes to the Parent-Child Dynamic in gaming, the best example I can think of is from God of War 2018. Kratos and Atreus have such a great relationship throughout God of War 2018 and it feels very real. Atreus acts like a kid his age would with his kind of abilities and Kratos disciplines Atreus when needed while also showing great care for his son. 

Three Houses, out of all FEs thus far, really used this dynamic the best. Most likely because most Fire Emblem parents last about as long as the gap between Pokémon releases, so it's nice to see some Father-Child bonding between Jeralt and Byleth before he too ends up falling victim to one of Intelligent Systems' favorite FE trends. 

Best Friend of the Main Character turned Evil (Akira Nishikiyama from Yakuza Kiwami. Riku from Kingdom Hearts)- Akira Nishikiyama's friendship with series protagonist Kazuma Kiryu (For the first six games at least) is truly something to behold. Yakuza 0 provides perfect context for just how tight these two bros were before everything went downhill for them in Yakuza Kiwami. It's straight up tragic how the tale of the very first Yakuza game ends, but it was truly the best way a dynamic like this one could end.

Good Sibling vs Evil Sibling (Alexios & Kassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey. The Siblings from Astral Chain)- Now, this particular dynamic isn't one I see all that often in gaming unfortunately. Which is a shame because I love seeing siblings on opposing sides clash in media. In AC Odyssey, you could choose between Alexios or Kassandra as your protagonist. Whichever one you didn't choose ends up becoming a villain known as Deimos.

Astral Chain does something similar except it takes longer for the dynamic to kick in. I love it when games utilize both gender options and make them both serve a role in the story rather than leave one in the dust. It's sad that I've only seen two games that actually did this, I'd love to see it more in the future. 

A Good Romantic Dynamic (Geralt and Yennefer from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Nathan and Elena from Uncharted. Most S-Supports from FE: Awakening to Three Houses. Most romances from the Mass Effect Trilogy)- Romantic relationships in Fire Emblem have always been of interest to me. Especially in Awakening and Fates because- assuming you S-rank units of opposing genders -you can create children that can be recruited into your army. The support conversations with the parents-to-be (I actually like Chrom X Sumia, sue me) are a joy to read and I love the conversations the kids have with their parents. Overall I'd say Fire Emblem does romance very well.

Mass Effect also does romance pretty good, and considering that you can continue the relationship across games, it only serves to make it even better. Now I'm not just saying that because it's the only game franchise I know of where you can romance humans AND aliens but... I totally am. 

• 1 month later...

Most any contrasting character traits... probably my top is the "Stern straight-man" paired up with the "Roguish prankster". The relationship of K and J in Men in Black immediately comes to mind, or even the T-800 and John Connor in Terminator 2.

The "Good and Evil" you tend to get in RPG games is good too.