The Sacred Flames

Sunwoo

All right ... this is an FE7 story I've been working on and posting on another site, but I could always use more criticism and feedback. Since SF people give particularly ... tough reviews, I suppose this is exactly what I need. Tear my grammar and writing to bits if you see fit, I'll take all the help I can get. If I want to be a professional writer, then fanfiction is a good place to practice. Here are some things I particularly want feedback on:

- The first two parts of chapter 1. Right now, it's kind of clunky and mostly in paragraph format. I've been trying to change it for a while, but I'm a little stuck as to how to change it and still impart everything I want. Suggestions would be welcomed. Or if you think the way I have it is fine, even that opinion would be great.

- Character development usually isn't a problem of mine, but let me know if certain characters seem OOC or too ... "artificial." I'm better at writing for OCs than existing characters, and I'm better at writing for characters I like than ones I'm not too fond of.

- While romance and drama aren't a big part of this story, it does play a role. I'm not very good at writing romance and drama, and I'm afraid that some parts may come off as being cheesy. If it does, let me know how I can improve.

Also, please don't flame me for my choice in pairings. Yelling at me because I didn't include your OTP or you hate the pairings I chose isn't going to make me a better writer.

Prologue

One year after the defeat of Nergal …

Mark wandered the grandiose halls of Castle Caelin. Its gray walls were decorated with tapestries and portraits; banners and flags hung from the pillars that were scattered throughout the corridor – just as he remembered. Servants and knights hurried past him as they rushed from place to place, busy with preparations for the event that had brought Mark to Caelin in the first place.

Lord Hausen, the longtime marquess of Caelin, had passed away earlier that year. Mark had been in Kathelet when the news had reached him. He had met with Lord Hausen only once, but Mark remembered the late marquess to be a kind and noble man.

With his death, the next person in line for the throne was the lady Lyndis, the granddaughter of Lord Hausen and the only surviving member of House Caelin. She was a close friend of Mark's, and it was her ascension ceremony that he had come to attend.

However, he was concerned about Lyn's choice to remain in Caelin. Lyn was not only a Lycian noble; she was also of Sacae, the daughter of the Lorca chieftain. Raised in the plains for the first fifteen years of her life, there was still much that she didn't know about the world outside of Sacae. She would be subject to prejudice from the people and marquesses of other Lycian territories … perhaps derision from even her own people.

Even without considering those problems, what could have made Lyn choose to stay in Caelin in the first place? Lyn always spoke fondly of Sacae. It was evident that her heart longed for the plains of her childhood. Mark had believed that Lyn would return to Sacae after her grandfather's death. And yet, she decided to stay. Why would she?

No, he couldn't start having doubts about his friend. Mark told himself that Lyn knew what she was doing. She was a strong woman, and would succeed and whatever she chose to do.

"Oh, Mark! You're here!"

Upon hearing his name, the tactician threw a glance over his shoulder to find Lyn standing behind him, a cheerful smile on her face. She was not dressed in her usual Sacaean garb, Mark noticed immediately, but a pale blue formal Lycian dress. It was so unlike her, and Mark's worries reared once again in his head. Would Lyn be able to adjust to being the marquess of Caelin? What if the pressure of the task destroyed her completely and forced her to become someone that she was not?

His misgivings would have to wait. Now was not the time for dark thoughts. He had to be supportive. A warm smile gracing his face, Mark returned Lyn's salutation. "It's nice to see you again, Lyn."

"It's been far too long, Mark, I missed you," Lyn said, giving him a hug. "Did you come for the ceremony? Hector and Eliwood will be attending, too."

Mark nodded. "I won't be staying long, though," he added, pulling away from her embrace. "I came to say goodbye."

"You're leaving? Again?" Lyn sounded disappointed. "What a shame … I had hoped you'd stay a little longer."

"Yes, but it is time I take my leave of this place," Mark said. He paused for a second, once again distracted by Lyn's uncharacteristic clothing to say anything more.

"Hm?" Lyn noticed the funny look on her friend's face. "What's wrong, Mark? Oh, is it these clothes?" She let out an embarrassed laugh. "I know ... Lycian dress doesn't suit me at all, does it? But maybe I'll get used to it." Lyn took a deep breath, and her eyes misted slightly. "I want to do my best … for the people of Caelin."

"Oh, Lyn …" Mark sighed.

"Sometimes, I wonder if my grandfather wished I was more of a lady," Lyn went on, as if she didn't hear Mark. "My mother was a kind and gentle person. I wonder if he wished I was more like her …"

"Your grandfather loved you, Lyn," Mark assured her. "Don't you remember? He held on to life for you, even while Lundgren was poisoning him. You helped him recover from the poison. I'm sure … he's proud of you, no matter what."

"Mark … I thank you." The fire and determination returned to Lyn's eyes, and Mark knew that his words had restored her conviction, if only a little. "You're right. I'll succeed my grandfather as Marquess Caelin. I know it won't be easy, but I'll do my best. For my grandfather's sake and the citizenry of Caelin."

That was the Lyn he knew and admired so well. The last of his doubts vanished with her confident declaration. Mark was certain that Lyn would become a great and respected marquess.

"Lyn …"

The rough yet soft voice was familiar to Mark's ears, but he couldn't recall whose it was or where he had first heard it. Lyn, on the other hand, recognized it immediately. "I'm here, Rath!" she called.

Rath, of course. Although they had met earlier in the journey than many others, the quiet nomad rarely spoke to anyone. Mark and Rath were on good terms with each other, but when one was commanding an army of over forty people – especially when said army consisted of many people with strong personalities – it was easy to forget anyone who didn't stand out. The tactician felt his face flush as he remembered the embarrassingly frequent times he would forget Rath's presence. And not just him – Dorcas, Jaffar, Renault, even Ninian …

Truthfully, Mark was rather surprised to see Rath in Caelin. Despite the closeness that had developed between Rath and Lyn, Mark would never have expected him to stay with her in Lycia. Having some knowledge of Rath's past, Mark had expected the nomad to return to Sacae and his tribe as soon as he possibly could.

"Mark … It's been a while," Rath greeted. He was standing beside Lyn, although a few steps behind her. In contrast to Lyn, he looked the same as always.

"Yes, but he won't be staying for long," Lyn informed him, turning to Mark again. "Mark will be leaving after the ceremony."

"That's right," he corroborated. "I have to continue on my journey."

"That's too bad," Rath said. The nomad sounded no different than usual, but Mark took the acknowledgement of his departure as a sign that he would be missed.

Not for the first time, Mark was beginning to contemplate whether he truly wanted to leave his comrades for what could be forever. He had been in Pherae and Ostia earlier in the year, attending Eliwood and Hector's ascension ceremonies. The two lords and their fiancées, Ninian and Florina, had also been disappointed to hear that he was leaving.

Of Eliwood, Lyn, and Hector, Mark was the closest to Lyn. He had known her the longest, and she had saved his life when they had first met on the plains. Never seeing her again would hurt him so much more. She had become his best friend during the two journeys they had ventured on together.

Even facing the possibility that he may never see some of his comrades again if he left, Mark knew that he would never be satisfied with simply staying in one place. He was a traveler at heart. Mark wanted to explore unseen places, to see and learn more than he ever could if he stayed in Lycia. He would miss everyone, but he knew deep within himself that he would take his leave of Lycia someday.

"Oh, Mark," Lyn suddenly started, "I almost forgot. This may be a bit premature, but …" A faint blush colored her cheeks. "Would you be our first child's godparent? We would never have made it through the battles for Caelin and against the Black Fang if it weren't for you."

Rath nodded in agreement, and for a moment Mark was too overwhelmed to speak. He was surprised at how highly all the three lords regarded him. Eliwood and Ninian had wanted him to name their first child – he had suggested Roy for a son and Maia for a daughter – and Hector and Florina had also asked him to be their first child's godparent. For the third time that year, Mark was … touched.

"O-of course," he finally replied, his voice shaking from emotion. "I would be happy to be the godparent of your first child."

"Great!" Lyn exclaimed. "Thank you, Mark!"

"I beg your pardon." General Wallace, one of Lyn's vassals and a general whom Mark knew very well, loomed behind Lyn and Rath. He had managed to approach them while escaping anyone's notice. "Lady Lyndis, let's go."

"I'm coming Wallace," she said. "Mark, I'll see you at the end of the ceremony." And with one last smile, Lyn followed Wallace down the hall.

~FE7~

The ascension ceremony for Lyn took just as long as Eliwood's had been, but neither had been as long as Hector's. Mark had to chuckle at that. Hector, who hated ceremonies and formalities, was the new Marquess Ostia, the leader of the Lycian League. It hardly seemed to suit him, but Mark knew that Hector would do his best as well.

Several Lycian lords and nobles had attended Lyn's ascension. He didn't know the marquesses of most of Lycia's other territories, but Mark noted with a hint of distaste that the marquess of Araphen was present – most likely not by choice, but due to necessity. There was no doubt that Caelin and Araphen's relations would be strained, with Marquess Araphen's hatred of Sacaeans and his refusal to help Lyn during her campaign to take back Caelin from Lundgren.

Also present in the throng of marquesses and nobles was Lord Erik – the son of the former marquess of Laus, now Marquess Laus. Why he was allowed to remain in control of his territory, Mark would never know. Both Erik and his father had supported the rebellion against Ostia. His ascension – which Mark most certainly did not attend – had also taken place that year, after Hector's but before Eliwood's.

Speaking of Eliwood … out of the corner of his eye, Mark thought he saw a glimpse of red hair in the crowd. But it had disappeared almost as soon as he had seen it. Not wanting to cause a commotion by looking for Eliwood when he may not have even seen him, Mark decided against pursuing the flash of red. Try as he might, he didn't see Hector, Florina, or Ninian anywhere. But Mark knew that they would have been present.

Feeling uncomfortable in the mass of people, Mark made his way towards the edge of the ceremony grounds – far enough from the crowd for relief, but still within the vicinity so that Lyn would be able to find him. Mark let out a breath of relief once he was away from the horde of nobles. His gaze drifted to the setting sun in the distance. As the end of the day neared, so drew the close of the chapter of his life adventuring with the Lycian lords and their comrades.

"Mark …" Lyn's voice came from behind the tactician.

Had she been waiting there for him the entire time? Mark slowly came face to face with Lyn, for what would possibly be the last time. "Lyn."

"Will you be going now?" she asked quietly. "Are you sure you can't stay?"

"Lyn …" Mark paused for a second, then began again. "Two years ago … when we first reached Caelin … you asked me the same thing. Do you … want me to stay?"

"No … I know you can't," she said, answering his question as much as her own. "But still … I'm going to miss you. We've been through so much together."

"I'll miss you, too," Mark said. "But … you have Rath here with you – and Kent and Sain and the others. You'll be a fine marquess, I know you will."

The lady of Caelin nodded, her eyes looking unfocused and watery. She too was aware that it would be a long time before they saw each other again, if ever.

A long silence passed between the two, neither knowing what to say. Then, Lyn threw her arms around him and Mark did the same, the two sharing a final heartfelt embrace. They remained that way for about a minute, until Mark separated from Lyn and stepped back. "Well … I should leave now. It's time for me to go."

The tears came to Lyn's eyes, but she was smiling even as the tactician retreated into the sunset. "Thank you for everything, Mark. We'll see each other again … someday. I know it."

I'll post the other chapters soon. Chapters 1-3 are written and posted, but I want to make some last-minute edits before I get them up.

Edit: I don't know why the text appears to be in bold, I apologize for that. I can't seem to change it.

Edited by Folgore Yellow

I think I'll just make separate posts whenever I need to post a new chapter, because my formatting tends to get screwed up when I edit posts a lot.

Anyway ... I hate the beginning of this chapter. It feels too blocky, too wordy ... too much telling and not enough showing. But try as I might, I haven't been able to find a "better" way of phrasing the first two parts of this chapter. Any suggestions on how to improve this will be greatly appreciated.

Or, if you think it's fine the way it is, that's good too.

Chapter 1

Two months had passed since Lyn had become the marquess of Caelin. Within that short period of time, her duties and responsibilities had increased exponentially.

After her ascension, she had received many visits from the leaders of the other Lycian territories. All wanted an evaluation of the new Marquess Caelin. They wanted to see for themselves what kind of person she was; what her temperament was like; how paramount would her Sacaean heritage be in her reign and was it true that her husband-to-be was also of the plains and perchance would Caelin became a Lycian territory under Sacaean rule?

It had been a harrowing experience, dealing with the rulers of the other territories, one after the other, and the end nowhere in sight. Her fellow Lycian marquesses were all men; Lyn was the only woman. She was also one of the youngest of the Lycian League. Only Eliwood, Hector, and Erik of Laus were close to her age. One marquess was a few years older than her. The others were at the very least the age that her parents would have been had they lived; a few were nearly or as old as her grandfather had been.

Much to her surprise, however, not all of them had been disdainful. Having spent a year in Caelin prior to her journey with Eliwood and Hector, Lyn had learned of the subtleties and ways of Lycian nobles. They were masters at twisting their words, giving insults without actually saying anything of the sort. Their underhanded ways were so unlike the open and blunt Sacaean honesty that Lyn was used to.

Lord Orun, the marquess of Thria, had been astonishingly cordial towards both her and Rath – almost to the extent of Eliwood. He showed no contempt for either her lineage or her gender. Rather, he had politely inquired about the plains that had been the home of Lyn's childhood, and then they had a pleasant conversation spanning many topics such as the state of their respective domains and the future of Elibe. Later, Lyn learned that Lord Orun was the elder half-brother of Hector. Marquess Thria appeared to be nothing like the loudmouthed lord of Ostia. But Hector had a good heart underneath his brash exterior. Anyone related to him had to have the same goodness as well.

Marquess Ryerde and the steward of Santaruz had also been polite. They didn't seem to be entirely at ease around her, but never were they disrespectful. Perhaps it was because they didn't know her very well yet. Lyn was determined to earn their respect, to show them that her presence would only make Lycia stronger. And, in the case of Santaruz's steward, she did not wish to make the man's life any harder by intentionally provoking him. The marquess of Santaruz had been murdered over a year ago, before Lyn had joined up with Hector and Eliwood, by the same villain who had tried to kill her grandfather. Santaruz had yet to recover from the sudden loss of its marquess, as competent as the steward may have been.

But they were the only decent ones. The marquesses of the other territories – Laus, Araphen, Tania, Worde, Kathelet, and Tuscana – were hardly welcoming. Their questions were pointed and meant to offend, hoping to draw an irate response from Lyn or a violent action from Rath. Neither had risen to the bait, but Lyn could barely contain her rage at their unjust treatment. They derided her for being a mixed half-Sacaean child, and a woman at that, and challenged her ability to rule.

The worst were Marquess Laus and Marquess Araphen. Erik of Laus had never met Lyn personally, for she hadn't yet joined Hector and Eliwood when Erik had suffered defeat at their hands. But even without knowing anything about her, it was evident that Erik had his reasons for disliking her. After all, she was the friend of his sworn enemies, which was reason enough for him.

Even more spiteful than Erik was Marquess Araphen, who knew not only Lyn but also Rath. His hatred of Sacaeans was more virulent than that of the other marquesses, but he also had a personal dislike for Lyn – the savage and insolent daughter of his only love and the man whom she had eloped with – and Rath – his former captain of the guard who had resigned in an act of rebellion.

She had nearly been driven to exhaustion entertaining the rulers of the other Lycian territories while attempting to make a good impression. But at the end of two long months, the visits had finally stopped. Lyn felt that she would never have made it through without the help of her friends. They had given her the support she had needed to remain in control during the often-stressful dealings with the other marquesses.

To her disappointment, Eliwood and Hector were unable to pull themselves away from their obligations to visit Caelin. Lyn had been hoping to see not only Hector and Eliwood, but also Florina and Ninian.

Although she had considered traveling to Pherae and Ostia herself if Eliwood and Hector couldn't come to see her, Lyn herself did not have the time to do so. The visits from Lycia's marquesses had pushed many of Caelin's internal affairs to the bottom of Lyn's priority list; affairs that would be better dealt with sooner than later, lest they worsen.

For a brief moment, Lyn wondered how Marquess Laus had been able to take the time to visit her. His ascension had been around the same time as hers, Hector's, and Eliwood's, after all. But it was also true that he had been acting as marquess longer than any of them, having to take control of Laus' rule after Lord Darin's desertion. Also, whereas they had been traveling across all of Elibe during the previous year, Erik had never left Laus and was up to task with all his duties.

As difficult and complicated as things seemed to be, Lyn refused to give in to the pressure. She couldn't let her grandfather down. She couldn't let her parents down. No matter what, she would become a great leader to her people.

-

Lyn walked down the castle hallway, admiring the decorations and artwork that adorned its walls, nodding a polite greeting to the knights and servants whom she passed by. The servants would smile back, then turn to one another and whisper excitedly while sneaking glances at their lady's back; the knights would stand at attention or bow, acknowledging their lady respectfully.

They had all expected that Lyn would return to the plains of Sacae after her grandfather's death. Their lady had always spoken fondly of the plains and had clearly hoped to return. However, when word got out that she would remain in Caelin as its marquess, the knights and servants of House Caelin were surprised but pleasantly so.

Just then, an exuberant and familiar voice echoed throughout the corridor, and was followed by an equally familiar and exasperated one. Grinning, Lyn turned to face her two most loyal knights – the first Lycians that she had ever met – Kent and Sain. At Kent's side was the pegasus knight Fiora. Their hands were intertwined, and both were blushing noticeably.

Both Sain and Kent had planned to request a discharge from service once Lyn departed from Caelin. Upon hearing that their lady would stay as marquess, Sain had immediately changed his mind and renewed his vows to his liege. Lyn smiled at the memory of it – Sain, with his wide grin and joyful demeanor, had bowed before her and smacked his head against the hilt of his sword.

However, Kent had been more conflicted than his green-clad partner, which had initially confused Lyn. Kent – who was truer to his duty than any other, a model knight. But then, she learned of his relationship with Fiora. Lyn only knew her as the elder sister of her dearest friend Florina, but Kent and Fiora had fallen for each other during the conflict against Nergal and the Black Fang.

Kent had wanted to join Fiora in Ilia after Lyn left Caelin, but could not bring himself to end his service to his lady. Fiora, although she loved her homeland dearly, chose to join Kent in service to Caelin instead and assured him that living in Lycia would also put her in closer proximity to her sisters, Farina and Florina.

The lady allowed her mind to wander as Kent began scolding Sain about something he had or hadn't done. Florina … her best friend was still in Lycia, but she no longer resided in Caelin. During the yearlong journey to rid Elibe of Nergal's morphs, the shy pegasus knight had somehow fallen for the loudmouthed and coarse Hector of Ostia. Lyn hadn't any idea how they had come to be together, but they were truly in love. Once the conflict was over, Florina accompanied Hector to Ostia and became its lady. From the letters she had sent Lyn the past year, she seemed to be adjusting well.

Wil had also resigned his position in Caelin's army for love. The cheery archer had reunited with his childhood friend Rebecca during the conflict and had gone to Pherae with her to join her in service to Eliwood. Lyn missed his optimistic presence as well, but was happy that he had finally decided to return home. She had bothered him repeatedly throughout the journey to write to his parents, and it thrilled her to know that he would at last meet with them after years of absence.

Fiora's sharp voice cut through Lyn's thoughts then, bringing her back to the present. Smiling guiltily, but relieved that none of them seemed to have noticed her spacing out, Lyn excused herself and went on her way. Sain, Kent, and Fiora responded in kind before returning to their discussion.

The lady continued her stroll around the palace until she reached the castle courtyard, where she saw that Rath was practicing his swordplay with Guy and Heath, all three under the watchful eye of Wallace. Lyn joined them outside, but opted to chat with Wallace instead of joining in the swordfight.

Wallace, a longtime vassal of House Caelin; a friend and rival to her father, Lord Hassar. In spite of his odd tendency to always lose his way wherever he was going, Lyn found him just as reliable as Kent and Sain. Unlike the rest of her companions from the conflict, who were close to or equal to her own age, Wallace was a father figure – offering wise advice and wisdom when it was needed. His trainings, on the other hand … Lyn mentally noted the need to speak to Wallace of his unorthodox methods.

But Heath and Guy had been unexpected additions to the Caelin army. Even now – as she observed the swordfighter and the wyvern rider advance on her lover from both sides, only for Rath to dodge both their strikes in one graceful movement – Lyn couldn't help wondering how they had come to become so dear to her.

She remembered a brief conversation with Heath when he had first defected to their army, surrendering to her and Eliwood, but that had been the only one between them. He had turned up suddenly one day, in the middle of a training session, startling everyone on the ground and nearly getting himself shot down from the sky for it. Luckily for him, Kent had vouched for his identity. Heath had apologized for his actions, then told her of Kent's proposal to join the Caelin knights. Kent had confirmed the exchange right then and there, adding that he had reprised the offer after Lyn's ascension, and Heath had been accepted into knighthood shortly afterwards.

On the other hand, Guy had enlisted with Caelin not for the sake of its marquess, but for her fiancé's. Sometime after Lyn's coronation, Rath, Kent, and Sain had left the castle to survey the state of the countryside, returning later that night with an unconscious and dying Guy in tow. The swordfighter had teetered on the brink of death for weeks, but had made a miraculous recovery. Although Guy had thanked Lyn and the others, he had vowed his life to Rath specifically – claiming that it was his duty to protect his fellow Sacaean and the son of his chieftain. She had not known that Guy was also Kutolah, but he and Rath seemed to have an almost brotherly relationship.

Lyn gave a sigh of content and leaned back against the tree she was sitting under. All was well. Caelin was willing to accept her, to give her a chance to prove herself worthy. She had worried that the people would not be accepting of a Sacaean marquess, but those who did not want her on the throne were fewer than those who supported her. Public opinion held her in high regard compared to her granduncle, Lundgren, who was despised by most of Caelin.

Very little time had gone by since her ascension before she had become used to her tasks as Marquess Caelin. Her duties, although numerous, were always done properly and punctually. Lyn also traveled around Caelin, making sure that her people were living comfortably; that there were no outside threats or internal uprisings in progress; to learn more about the citizenry.

It hadn't taken her long to manage her schedule, and once she had done so Lyn found that she was able to enjoy the things in her life outside of her duty to the realm: sparring with Kent and Guy; observing Wallace as he terrified the new recruits – and Sain – with his strict training regiment. Kent and Fiora had also had a daughter whom they had named Jena, a little girl with her father's red hair but her mother's blue eyes. Lyn spent much of her free time with the family.

What she loved most, though, was being with her beloved Rath. On clear, dry nights, they would often travel atop the highest cliff in Caelin, not far from the castle, where they could see the plains of Sacae … like how she used to when she had first come to Caelin. The longing for the plains would never disappeared from her heart, but Lyn believed that her choice was right.

-

Finally, it was all over. Nergal's mad ambitions to open the Dragon's Gate and the chaos that had come with his plans … it had all come to an end. The tension that had been heavy in the air for the previous year had finally dissipated.

The lady Lyndis felt nothing but relief once the fire dragon summoned to Elibe by Nergal had been defeated. Now her grandfather was safe, and there would be no further threats to the security of Caelin or Lycia. Everything seemed to be resolved.

And yet … in the back of her mind, Lyn couldn't help thinking about the uncertainties that were forthcoming. She intended to stay in Caelin with her grandfather until his passing, but what would become of her future once he was gone?

Her heart desired to return to Sacae, to the land of her childhood, the plains that she had spent the last two years away from. But her journey with Eliwood and Hector had helped Lyn mature and grow. In a battle, emotions were complicated matters. Losing oneself to such impulses could cloud one's judgement and lead to poorly considered maneuvers, which could lead to dire consequences.

Lyn had learned to reason with her mind instead of listening only to her heart. And her mind was currently telling her that nothing would be as it once was. The Lorca were no more. They had been brutally murdered during a bandit raid, and the survivors were too few in number, too scattered, to rebuild the tribe. It was likely that they had joined with the other larger tribes of Sacae. And they had already refused to follow a woman. Even if she returned to Sacae, Lyn could never return to life as it had been before the massacre.

But she could still belong to the plains. Her lover, Rath, was of the Kutolah tribe. The Kutolah were the largest and strongest tribe of Sacae, much more organized than the Lorca had ever been, and Lyn could not imagine that the tragedy of losing her people would repeat itself there. She could join Rath and the Kutolah once her grandfather had died, return to the plains she loved so dearly.

It sounded like the perfect solution, but the doubts still lingered. The Kutolah and the Lorca were both tribes of Sacae, but each tribe had its own practices and traditions. The people of other countries neither understood nor cared about the differences amongst the various tribes, but to a Sacaean they were all too obvious – the tribes didn't even share a common language. The dissimilarities in Lorca and Kutolah culture could become too oppressive for Lyn to handle – especially since one was the ways of the most powerful clan in Sacae, and the other was the tradition of a dead tribe.

There was also no guarantee that the people of the Kutolah would accept her. Although not as severe as Lycian hatred for Sacaeans, the plainspeople had their own suspicions and dislike for Lycians. Like how Lyn had initially feared that her grandfather would not be accepting of a mixed blood child like her, it was possible that the Kutolah would not want someone tainted with the blood of Lycia amongst them, much less marrying the son of their chieftain.

She was certain … that there would be no certainty in her life if she chose to remain in Sacae. Her people were dead; she had been away from the plains for too long; the probably of prejudice against a half-Lycian child was only too present. There was no returning to the innocent lightheartedness that Lyn had known as a child for the first fifteen years of her life, only what-ifs and worst-case scenarios.

In stark contrast to the uncertainties that lay before her in Sacae, her future in Caelin was clearer and more stable. She knew that she would succeed her grandfather as Marquess Caelin and become a member of the Lycian League. The dear friends that she had met – Eliwood, Hector, Kent, Sain, Wil, and Ninian, to name a few – and her best friend Florina would all be in Lycia. A life in Caelin did not mean spending the rest of her life alone.

What she wanted from Sacae was the life she had lived before the raid that had cost her all that she had known. Lyn wished for a normalcy that would never happen, and it was only until she began thinking rationally with her mind that she realized it. Rather than returning to Sacae to find something she would never be able to obtain, the best choice for Lyn was to start a new life in Caelin where everyone she now loved was.

Well … almost everyone, at least. Lyn's only regret in her decision was that by choosing Caelin, she would have to relinquish her chance for a future with Rath. Having been banished from his tribe over fifteen years ago, Rath had been away from Sacae for much longer than Lyn ever had been. His destiny likely fulfilled with the defeat of Nergal, Rath would certainly wish to return to his tribe.

"Lyn …"

The noble lady of Caelin was interrupted from her musings at the sound of her lover's voice. She turned to see Rath standing several paces behind her, the reins of his horse clutched in his left hand. His expression was devoid of emotion as usual, but Lyn was aware that the lack of emotion was due to not knowing how to express them.

"Oh, Rath!" Lyn blushed and moved to stand beside him, gripping his free hand with both of hers and resting her head on his shoulder. She turned her gaze to the newly risen sun in the distance, illuminating the once somber Dread Isle with the light of hope. "Beautiful, isn't it?" She sighed.

Rath said nothing in response, but she could feel him relax against her and return her hold on his hand. It was all that Lyn needed to know that he agreed. Basking in the moment, Lyn let her eyes wander the vicinity, surveying the rest of the army still present in the area.

Eliwood was holding Ninian in his arms, both of them looking very happy to be together. Lyn was thrilled that everything had worked out in the end for the Pheraean lord and his bride-to-be. Eliwood had lost Ninian once, in a tragic accident that had led to Ninian's death. But Ninian had been miraculously brought back to life and two had a second chance for happiness.

Florina was sitting on Hector's right shoulder, giggling and smiling at him as Hector grinned up at her. When had Florina grown up? Lyn had always been her protector on the plains, but now … she appeared to have mostly overcome her fear of men, seeing her so secure and comfortable around Hector.

Near the outskirts of the surrounding forest were Wil, Rebecca, Dart, and Farina. Dart was yelling at Wil – something about the latter's stupidity – and the archer was trying to placate the man whom he believed to be his childhood best friend. Rebecca wore an exasperated "you're-on-your-own" look on her face, and Farina was egging Dart and Wil on.

Kent and Fiora stood together near the temple, enjoying each other's company and ignoring the chaos around them. Sain was hiding behind a temple wall, silently congratulating his friend for loosening up enough to start a relationship. Nino was trying to get Jaffar, who was hiding in the shadows of the trees, to socialize.

Marcus, Lowen, Harken, and Isadora were congregated together, close to Eliwood to keep an eye on him but far enough to give him and Ninian space, discussing the future of the knights of Pherae. Harken and Isadora's hands were intertwined. Near Hector and Florina were the Ostians, Oswin, Matthew, and Serra. Oswin and Matthew were speaking in hushed tones, but Serra's voice could be heard from anywhere in the camp and she was clinging onto Oswin with an iron grip.

Bartre, Karla, and Karel were farther away from the rest of the group. Karel had his arms crossed and was learning against a tree, almost invisible within the shade, observing Bartre and Karla as they sparred. How Bartre was still so full of energy even after a grueling battle, Lyn had no idea. Nor did she know how Karla was able to keep up with him.

Aside from them, everyone else seemed to have disappeared from Lyn's field of vision. But she knew that they were nonetheless present. Erk had led a distraught Priscilla to the back of the temple, Raven watchfully scrutinizing the pair. Lyn could hear Wallace's voice even if she could not see him. Heath and Vaida had taken to the skies, and she could make out the shapes of their wyverns. Canas and Pent had begun a scholarly conversation about magic and had retreated inside to avoid interruptions. Mark, who had been noticeably shaken after the final battle, had asked for a moment alone. They had given it to him without a second thought. Lyn wondered if her friend was all right. He had looked rather ill …

"What's wrong, Lyn?" Rath asked, noticing that her eyes were glazed over in thought.

"Hm?" Lyn blinked, snapped out of her reverie, and stared at Rath blankly for a moment. "Oh, it's nothing. I was just thinking about everyone here. We … we finally won. The nightmare we've been living for the past year is finally over. Now we can all move on with our lives."

"Mm." Rath returned his gaze to the forest surrounding the temple.

Lyn paused for a moment, unsure of how to tell Rath about her intentions to stay in Lycia. Although they had never spoken of it, the two held the unvoiced belief that Lyn would set off for Sacae after the death of her grandfather. As a fellow Sacaean, Rath knew better than anyone how strongly the plains called to her. Likely, they called to him just as strongly. Would he understand her reasons for choosing Caelin?

She contemplated reconsidering her decision. Was a sense of security in her future worth losing the man she truly loved and the plains that her heart wished so desperately to return to? In retrospect, was giving up everything she had in Caelin and Lycia a fair price to pay for her whimsical desires, which she knew deep down would never be fulfilled?

Her head throbbed with the turmoil of her thoughts. Whatever her decision was, something would have to be sacrificed. But which was the best for her? Which option would allow her to hold onto what she wanted more than anything in the world, the security that she would never have to be alone again?

"Rath …" Lyn stared into her lover's eyes and took a deep breath. "I've been thinking for so long … and I've finally made my decision. My heart will always be in Sacae, but … I will remain in Caelin after my grandfather's death as its marquess." She paused, waiting for Rath to respond, but when he said nothing she went on, "I love the plains dearly, and my childhood there was the best years of my life. But … I have to think clearly. So much has changed since I first learned about my grandfather and Caelin. I have been away from the plains for so long … I have found dear friends in Lycia and I know I will never be truly alone should I choose to stay there."

"Lyn …"

"My entire tribe is gone," Lyn continued, as if she hadn't heard him. "There is no one else who will be waiting for me in Sacae other than you. And … I'm worried, that your tribe will not accept me. The Sacaeans do not trust Lycians. What would they say about me, a mixed child? Would they accept our love? I … don't want to feel like an outsider among my own people. I don't be alone ever again. That's why … that's why I've decided to stay in Caelin. The people may not immediately accept me, but I will never have to be alone, and I know that Eliwood and Hector … and Kent and Sain and the others will be there to support me." Lyn exhaled, having finished her explanation. "Rath … I'm sorry …"

The Kutolah nomad was quiet, as he usually was, but instead of his usual unreadable expression he appeared to be pensive, as if he were deep in thought. After several minutes of silence that Lyn wanted not to break, Rath finally spoke. "Lyn of the Lorca … I shall accompany you to Caelin, if that is what you wish."

"W-what? Rath …" Lyn was shocked, so shocked that she could barely string her thoughts into a coherent sentence. "Rath … are you sure?" she asked. "I know that you've been away from the plains so much longer than I have … and, I have a commitment to Caelin but you don't have the same duty … and – there will likely be many Lycians who will not accept you …"

"Do you not want me along?" Rath asked softly.

"No, it's not that!" Lyn cried out. "It's just … I don't want you to feel like you have an obligation to me, if my choices will cause you suffering …"

"I will be at your side, of my own will, for as long as you will have me," Rath said.

Lyn's eyes watered, and she felt a great weight lifting from her shoulders. With a sigh of relief, she leaned against Rath once again and smiled at the morning sun. Contrary to her fears, she would still have Rath with her even in Caelin. The plains of Sacae may fade to become merely a memory of her past, but Lyn she knew that she would never again experience the loneliness that had once consumed her. The trials and tribulations of her future loomed threateningly in the back of her mind, but with the support of her dear friends Lyn knew that nothing could overcome her.

-

Rath was no stranger to the unexpected happenings that occurred in his life. Ever since his banishment from the Kutolah, when he was but a child, he was hardly ever surprised by the twists and turns that he encountered in his travels. He had learned to walk whatever path lay in front of him.

And yet … he had never expected his life to take such a drastic and unforeseen turn. Never would he have imagined that he'd develop feelings for a woman of dual Sacaean and Lycian heritage; that he would voluntarily choose to accompany her to her domain when it had been the plains of Sacae that he had longed to return to so desperately since he was a child.

When Lyn had spoken to him of her decision to remain in Caelin, Rath could tell that she had put much thought and consideration in her choice. It had clearly been difficult for her to choose between her two homes, but she had picked the path that had seemed right for her. And it got Rath thinking about his own options as well.

On the one hand, there was no question that he would return to Sacae and the Kutolah once Nergal was defeated. A dark flame, consuming all … Nergal's scheming ambitions fit well with the vague instructions he had been given by the tribe diviner before he had set off on his journey.

Surely, helping Lyn and her fellow Lycian lords thwart the dark druid's plans was what his destiny had intended for him. He would finally be able to see the plains he had been away from for so long … he would finally be able to go home to his tribe.

But upon further thought … Rath began to wonder if he truly wished to return to the people who had so callously cast him out. Prophecy or not, he had been less than four at the time. He could have died mere days after his exile and no one would have ever known. It was nothing short of a miracle that he had survived on his own for so long.

He did not think about his banishment from the Kutolah often. But whenever he was reminded of it, Rath was only too aware of a strange feeling in the back of his consciousness. A feeling that he could not identify or understand at the time – until now.

Resent. He was resentful of the way his fellow plainspeople had treated him. The people of other tribes had laughed and ridiculed him. His own people had thrown him out at such a young age due to an ambiguous prediction that hadn't come into play until fifteen years after it had been foretold. He had traveled around Elibe enough to know that the people of the other countries were prejudiced and intolerant and had their faults – but the Sacaeans, despite their honesty, were no better than the rest of Elibe.

Even his impulses to help a Sacaean in need – when he had saved Lyn from the assassin in Araphen and when he had led Guy back to the troop after the swordsman had lost his way – stemmed from his resentment. By assisting the people who had shunned him and cast him out, it was as if his actions were saying, "You may have abandoned me and mocked me, but I'd never stoop as low as you and I would help you if you needed it."

He had never given much contemplation to his views on the people of Sacae and how he felt about his exile. Once Lyn had opened his mind with her own introspections, he found that he did not wish to return to the Kutolah. Would they even accept him back, after so many years? He had seen so much, lived through more than most of his tribesmen ever would … readjusting to life within the tribe would be a tortuous and difficult process.

Still … Rath knew that if he followed Lyn to Caelin, he would certainly be faced with prejudice. There was no escaping it in Lycia. But Lyn … she would encounter the same hardships as he would. The pain of intolerance would not be as harsh if he and Lyn dealt with it together. And he could not deny that the members of the Lycian lords' coalition were good people. Even if he had only conversed with Lyn, Guy, and Wil, he had observed the others' interactions. The army seemed to consist entirely of those who were tolerant of all people. It was … strange, for everyone in such a large group to be so accepting, but it was not something he would complain about.

His decision had been easier than Lyn's. As much as he still wished to return to Sacae, he held no love for the people of his tribe or of the other tribes. After he was able to realize his resentment, he found that he wanted nothing to do with the Kutolah. Lyn had accepted him from the start; Lyn had given him a chance to belong somewhere … and he wasn't about to disappoint her.

~FE7~

Shortly after their victory, the Lycian army departed from Dread Isle and headed back for the mainland. After several days at sea, the first sign of land at last came into view. Once Fargus had docked at the port of Badon, the army had dispersed and gone their separate ways. In a matter of minutes, only the people whose destinations were within Lycia remained.

"We're here, we've made it to Lycia," Eliwood said, a weary yet pleased smile on his face. "I worried that we would not see our land again …"

"I can't believe it's only been a month," Hector agreed. "When we stopped at Ostia before we left for Valor … it may as well have been a lifetime ago!"

Lyn giggled at his words. "Hector, you exaggerate far too much," she told him.

"Hey, I do not," the armored lord grumbled.

"Peace, both of you," Eliwood interrupted, massaging his temples. "Let us not argue amongst ourselves now. There is much to be done."

"Yes …" Lyn became serious as well. "I must return to Caelin, to make sure my grandfather is well."

"Mm …" Hector frowned. "It won't be easy, the next year or so. We will be busy with the internal affairs of our realms. So many unexpected things have happened …"

Eliwood looked down at his boots, a somber expression on his face. "Yes … you're right. This tragedy has taken so much from all of us, from Lycia."

"Lord Eliwood …" Ninian had a sad look in her eyes.

"Ninian, please don't be worried about me," Eliwood whispered. "Everything will be fine. We overcame Nergal's mad ambitions. We can make it through anything."

"Um, Lord Hector …" Florina began, "will we be going directly to Ostia?"

"I don't see why not." Hector shrugged. "Why? Do you need to stop by somewhere?"

"W-well, I was hoping to visit Ilia one last time …"

"Lyn," Rath said, "I will join you in Caelin. But first there is something I must attend to in Sacae. I must return to the Kutolah."

"What? But, Rath …" Lyn had a troubled look on her face. "Are you sure that's wise? I mean … having to return to the people who hurt you … I don't see why you would go back to them at all!"

"I understand. And yet, I must face my tribe and my past if I am to move on." He paused for a moment, and then added, "I did not part with my father on good terms. I want to make things right between us."

The lady of Caelin nodded, her expression darkening. Ever since Rath had told her about his banishment from his tribe, Lyn felt nothing but anger at the Kutolah for abandoning him so. "I cannot take the time to go with you. My grandfather needs me. Will you … be all right, on your own?"

Rath's normally stoic expression wavered slightly, but the slip went unnoticed. "I won't be gone for long."

"Very well," Lyn said. "I'll wait for you, Rath … come back to me, safe …"

-

The fastest route to Sacae was through Caelin, so Rath traveled with Lyn and her retainers until they reached the domain. He had been intending to continue on his way to Sacae, wanting to get the unavoidable meeting with his tribe and his father over with as soon as he possibly could. But Marquess Caelin had refused to let him leave so soon.

Lord Hausen had not argued with his granddaughter's choice of husband, having learned the error of his ways many years earlier after he had refused to accept his daughter's relationship with a Sacaean. Instead of being discouraged, the lady Madelyn had eloped to Sacae with her lover and Marquess Caelin never saw her again. He would not repeat the same mistake with Lyndis.

However, he wanted to know what kind of person his only granddaughter's fiancé was, even if he held no venom towards the Sacaeans anymore. Rath found himself constantly under Lord Hausen's interrogation. The marquess would strike up conversation with him, inquiring about his past; how he and Lyn had met; what he had been doing before they had met. Hausen had even ordered his servants to observe Rath's behavior for him should he be unable to do so himself.

After a month or so of regarding him suspiciously, Marquess Caelin finally seemed to accept Rath as Lyn's future husband. He became less questioning and a bit warmer, and on one occasion gave Rath some advice on adjusting to life in Lycia.

Shortly after he had earned Lord Hausen's trust, Rath had taken his leave of Caelin. The sooner he faced the Kutolah, the sooner he could move on with his life. He set off for Sacae, being especially careful to avoid the territory of Araphen. About a month and a half had gone by before he reached the Lycia-Sacae border, and an additional two weeks before he came across the Kutolah camp.

It had been over a decade since he had last seen his tribe. It was doubtful that anyone would recognize him – it had been far too long. Rath doubted that he would remember any of the people that he used to know either. But it did not matter, for he had no plans to stay longer than he had to.

Taking a deep breath, Rath dismounted his horse and slowly approached the entrance of the camp. It was time to meet with the Kutolah chieftain … his father.

As he neared the campsite, he caught the attention of two nomadic troopers who were standing guard. They drew their weapons and moved towards him vigilantly, watching for any sudden movements.

"State your name and business," one said. He had an arrow notched and ready to be shot, his bow pointed at Rath's heart.

Carefully keeping his expression blank, Rath gave the man his name and stated his intent to speak to his father.

The two sentries turned to each other, dumbfounded, unsure of what their next actions should be. The second watchman had then gone inside the camp, presumably to report the predicament at hand to their chief. The other remained at the entrance, his bow lowered and pointed away from Rath but still loaded.

Not a minute later, the second guard returned outside, looking a bit flustered. "Let him in, it is the chieftain's orders," he said.

"Fine …" his partner replied, hesitant.

The other man turned to Rath and motioned for him to enter the camp. "The Silver Wolf will see you in his ger."

Rath walked past the sentries and through the entrance. The moment he stepped into the camp, he paused to take a quick look at his surroundings. He had expected to be flooded with memories of his life with the Kutolah, or to perhaps feel a longing for the life he had been cheated of. But … there was nothing. He felt nothing. The place he had considered to be home was little more than a strange land that he held no attachment to.

The people in the camp ceased what they were doing and stared. Strangers were not welcome amongst the Kutolah, and it was rare to see anyone not of the tribe – Sacaean or not – in their part of the plains. For an outsider to be allowed inside … it was almost unheard of.

Mothers drew their children close, retreating to the safety of their gers. The men and the warriors readied themselves for a fight, their hands gripping the hilt of their swords or their bows and arrows. Rath ignored them and went on his way, stopping only when he reached the chieftain's ger. He paused for a moment, his resolve faltering, then let himself in.

His father had been waiting for him. Lord Dayan, known as the Silver Wolf among Sacaeans and the greatest warrior of Sacae, had his back turned to his son and was facing the opposite wall. He gave no indication that he was aware of Rath's presence. The silence between them was tense and neither took the initiative to be the first to speak. Finally, Dayan turned to face his son.

During his banishment, Rath could barely remember his father – anything about him, really. What he looked like, how his voice sounded, his personality … nothing. But Rath immediately took note of the fact that the past fifteen years had taken a noticeable toll on his father. Lord Dayan had only been a few years older than Rath currently was when Rath had been exiled from the Kutolah. Now, the Silver Wolf appeared to be much more aged and hardened. His eyes were sharp and cold – years of being the chieftain of the greatest tribe in Sacae and the strongest warrior of the plains had made him jaded. And yet, the harshness in them disappeared and seemed to soften when they landed on Rath.

Dayan approached his son, stopping about an arm's length away from him. They stared at each other for what felt like several minutes, then Dayan wrapped his arms around Rath and pulled him close. The embrace had felt awkward at first, but the feeling it brought was not unwelcome. For a moment, Rath almost forgot that he wouldn't be staying.

"You've returned at last," the chieftain finally said. He then released his hold and sat down on the floor, motioning to his son to do the same.

"Yes," Rath replied, sitting across from his father. "I believe that the dark flame has been extinguished."

"Tell me of your journey."

"After I left Sacae, I ended up in Bern and spent several years there. Then I traveled to Lycia," Rath said.

"I see …" Dayan scowled. "Go on."

"I served Araphen as its captain until the marquess made his hatred for our people apparent, and accompanied Marquess Caelin's granddaughter in her journey to take back her realm. I then worked as a mercenary until I met Lyn again a year later," Rath continued.

"This Lyn …" his father began, "she is the granddaughter of the Caelin marquess you spoke of?"

"Yes. After I joined Lyn and the Lycian lords she was with, we traveled to the Dread Isle to stop the dark flame the diviner had predicted."

"What was the cause of the dark flame?"

"A dark druid who had lost himself to madness. He sought the return of the dragons to Elibe."

Lord Dayan rose to his feet and placed a hand on Rath's head in an affectionate gesture. "You have done well. Thanks to your actions, the disaster threatening all of Elibe will not come to pass. I'm proud of you."

"Mm …"

It was strange, really. Since his exile from the tribe a decade and a half earlier, Rath had thought that his life would go back to normal once he had earned his father's acceptance. Even after coming to the conclusion that he was angry with his people for throwing him out, a part of him had believed that everything would be all right if he just went home.

But now … his father, the greatest warrior of the plains, had expressed pride in his son's achievements. It didn't make Rath feel any different, didn't lessen the bitterness and the pain of his abandonment. He had been on his own for far too long to understand what normalcy was like. There was no life for him to return to in Sacae. The best he could hope for was a new beginning with people whom he knew he could trust.

"It has been far too long," Dayan said. "There is much to talk about. Many things have changed, things that you should be aware of. I will also need to begin preparing you for your responsibilities as the next chieftain of our tribe."

"Father …" Rath inhaled deeply and willed himself to continue speaking. "I will not be staying for long."

The Silver Wolf immediately turned to his son at those words. The expression on his face was one of confusion, as if he were unsure if he had heard correctly. "What do you mean you are not staying?"

"I have no intentions to remain in Sacae, to be the next leader of the Kutolah," Rath said, with more conviction and strength.

"But … I don't understand …"

"I've decided … I will be going to Lycia. I will start a new life in Caelin."

"What!" the chieftain exploded, all sense of control gone. "What are you saying! Lycia, of all places! What is the matter with you? Have you forgotten your pride as a Sacaean?" His voice became low and dangerous.

"I have never forgotten," Rath retorted, bristling at the offense.

"Then why? What other reason could you have for leaving? What could …" His father trailed off, then he suddenly gripped him by the shoulders. "You're leaving because of this granddaughter of the Caelin marquess, aren't you? What did she do to you? Tell me, if she hurt you –"

"Lyn hasn't done anything to me," Rath argued, in his lover's defense. "She is the daughter of the Lorca chieftain, a proud daughter of Sacae. I will be at her side for as long as she wishes."

The revelation that Marquess Caelin's granddaughter was also of the plains did not placate Lord Dayan. "You would turn your back on your tribe?" he hissed.

"I would support Lyn in all that she chooses to do."

Dayan narrowed his eyes and his expression darkened. "I see it now." His arms dropped to his side, his fists clenching in anger. "You are in love with this Lyn … a half-blooded child! She is the reason you will not stay, is it not? I won't allow it!"

Rath forced himself not to wince. Things were not turning out the way he had hoped they would. "Father, please –"

"Be silent! If this is how you truly feel, then I want you out of my sight! If you will not return, then never show your face here again!"

With a shaky breath and a quick bow, Rath hurried out of the ger and the camp, and away from the Kutolah. The confrontation with his father had gone terribly. He hadn't expected his father to be happy about his decision, but … now, he was effectively banished from the tribe again. And this time, he could never go back.

When he had chosen Lyn and Caelin over his former tribesmen and Sacae, Rath knew that he would not return. So why did it hurt so badly when he already knew that he wouldn't be back?

I hate the formatting with a burning passion, but I can't do anything about it right now. Sorry.

Edited by Folgore Yellow

Um, this might be kind of a nitpick since female lords are still called lords, but wouldn't Lyn be a marquise/marchioness instead of a marquess?

edit: oops, wrong place. sorry

Edited by CR-S01

Um, this might be kind of a nitpick since female lords are still called lords, but wouldn't Lyn be a marquise/marchioness instead of a marquess?

edit: oops, wrong place. sorry

I don't mind where the feedback is posted, either here or there is fine. As for Lyn being a marquise or marchioness ... honestly, I don't know. I thought that "marchioness" referred to the wife of a marquess, which Lyn is not. If marquise is the exact female version of marquess, then I'll have to change those. Thanks!

Good job, I can't wait for the next chapters. And if you don't mind my laziness of not wanting to move to another section, I'll post my feedback here.

Edited by Konnor97