FE6 Weapon Level Game Crash (Animation ON)

dfghjn

Hi everybody, I'm kinda new to the franchise and this site. My favorite Fire Emblem is Sword of Seals (even though my first Fire Emblem was Blazing Sword). I love that game so much that I decided to hack it with the Nightmare Program and make a balanced experience. The original game was good, but there are times when the character's growth rates don't work against my favor and this game's RNG is just terrible beyond belief. So far, I know how to edit the characters/classes growth rates, weapons/items, skills and have yet to learn how to add my own custom map. But I just wanna hack away my characters and make them RNG blessed 90% of the time (especially Roy). Judging by what I'm talking about, I'm trying to make the game bearable and as much as I can say my hack is easier than the original game, it's still quite challenging actually cause I edit the weapons to give them infinite uses (except Bolting, Purge, Eclipse, Vulneraries , Elixirs, and the annoyings staves the later enemies use) to make the game feel like Fire Emblem Gaiden (I like the concept, but hate the game's grind fest execution). Plus I also gave most of the weapons some critical boosts to make the game unpredictable on the early portions of the chapter (unless you support your characters which is vital to survive in this game), but it's just as frustrating as the original game and the promoted versions of the enemies are going to be really hard to take down.

I didn't changed anything in terms of all of the things I mentioned so here's the problem I encountered. My game crashed when one of my characters weapon level rank went up (Animations On that is, but when I turn it off then the game doesn't crash) so I wanna know the source of this problem. If this is the case then I can't theoretically Arena Abuse since the animations are always turned on for the fight and if the weapon rank went up then the game will crash and I'll be screwed. I'm pretty sure I screwed something when I was hacking but I don't know what could it be. Anybody got a clue?

Edited by ZetaKnightXD

If the info isn't enough then I guess I'll have to fill in what I changed to make the game bearable and could've caused the crash... This is going to take a while.

Roy (0 on all base stats, Growths: HP 85%, Str 70%, Skl 85%, Spd 85%, Def 70%, Res 70%, Luck 85%) and Rapier 100% hit, 10 Mgt and 10 crit to make him somewhat balanced and an Infinite Use Sword of Seals with no changes (still working on it). Stat cap: 30 on all stats (just like Zephiel, can't wait to make an epic battle out of my hack, he kinda sucked in the original game. I might give his Exaccus a Brave effect --I doubt this cause he might be too powerful with that Brave Effect-- and all his caps are Maxed Out so I want an epic battle lol)

All the items are indestructible. Even the Promotion Items so u know ;) and I made Archers USEFUL by giving all bows 2-3 range, making the Longbow completely obsolete or might give a ballista range (lol I doubt it). I think the problem might be the bows range that must've caused the crash.

Thieves and Dancers/Bards are actually useful and since they can't promote they will get some stat caps that will make them useful throughout the game. Thief class stat cap: 20 Str/Def/Res & 30 Skl/Spd. Plus Move Again/Critical 30+ and 100% increase on Skl, Spd, and Luck . I know, Thieves are ridiculously overpowered in my hack of FE6 lol, but since they can't promote and promoted enemies are gonna be hard since I changed the stat growth for all classes to ridiculous levels, they are going to be VERY handy. Dancers/Bards have the ability to use Staves although not as good as the magic users in this game. So they start out with Staff E. Stat caps for Dancers/Bards: 10 Str/Skl, 30 Spd/Luck/Def/Res. I know, Dancers/Bards are ridiculously tanky, but I'll change the stat caps for their Def/Res to make them fragile. Plus they can Move Again/Play or Sing. I think giving them the ability to use staves might've cause the game to crash so I disabled the feature, but it's still crashing so I don't know :/

An example from Chad's stat growth: HP 85%, Str 50%, Skl 150%, Spd 185%, Luck 185%, Def 25%, Res 25% (U can imagine what Astol and Cath are going to be like ;) )

An example from Lalam's stat growth: HP 70%, Str/Skl 20%, Spd 170%, Luck 170%, Defense/Res 145%

An example from Elphin's stat growth: HP 65%, Str/Skl 25%, Spd 180%, Luck 150%, Defense/Res 165%

Okay... This is weird. As far as I know, I don't see anything that could've caused that crash. It's quite weird. I see you have some characters with more that 100% growths, but seeing as the maximum is 255%, I don't see how that could've caused any problem.

I can see only one solution. Don't edit a lot of things at once. Do things step by step, checking between each edit. It's tedious, but it should avoid any crashes and help you find that problem.

If that still doesn't work, perhaps some more experienced hackers would be better at helping you.

Edited by ShadielTH

Hey CT075. It looks like you encountered the problem and so far I tried everything. I disabled the 100% increase on all the Thieves' and Dancer/Bard growth rates to see if the game wouldn't crash and it didn't work. I tied to disable the 2-3 range from my bows to make them normal again and the game still crashed. And I also forgot to mention this but I also gave 3 uses for the stat boosting items with 2500 gold each and 5 uses on the items like Vulneraries, Pure Water, Elixir, Antitoxin. I disabled that option to make it 1 use and 8000 gold and 3 uses to see if the game could crash on me and guess what? It did, so that's not the problem. I tried to make the stat caps back to normal for the Theif class, Master Lord class, and the Dancer/Bard class and the game still crashed. Finally I said screw it and disable EVERYTHING I MENTIONED in this post here and take a guess, just take a wild guess?

Still Crashed, Yeah what do you expect? So that's it I think I may have found the solution to this and I don't like it one bit. I believe my rom file has been corrupted (and I used a perfectly clean rom of FE6 so what gives) when I was hacking all the way so I guess I have to hack it ALL OVER AGAIN!!! :(

Edited by ZetaKnightXD

i seriously doubt that you've corrupted your ROM

it's probably something that nightmare did as in the program itself (which is weird because nightmare is just a hex editor)

are you using nightmare 1 or 2

Oh and btw CT075, if the same problem happened to you, is it fixed? It no longer does that... right? So I wonder what gives. Hmm... I may need to either restart the hacking process on a clean rom or find another solution to this cause I tried out the original rom of FE6 and so far there's no bug on the Weapon Level (Animations ON that is) and I'm using the same rom except hacked and it caused this bug. So what gives? :(

I would try out the Nightmare 2.0, but all I get is some files and not the actual Nightmare program within it.

one of those files is the actual nightmare 2 program (it's the one named "nightmare 2" with the extension .jar)

i did manage to fix it but idr what i did; i definitely did not have to restart

Edited by CT075

So far, I'm having no luck deciphering the problem with this bug so in the meantime I'll redo my hack, by copy/pasting the original FE6 rom file (cleaned) and figure out what could've caused that Weapon Level to be bugged. If I figure it out then I'll let everybody know so that nobody has to suffer from this tediousness when they are hacking FE6.

Ok. I've redone my whole hack into a clean rom of FE6 and judging by all the problems I mentioned that could've caused the Weapon Level Bug, I'm glad to say they are not the problems.

I've used Wolt from CH 1 where I was just using him to fight the boss over and over until he gets the Weapon Level. And since I did some of these steps one by one to figure out the Weapon Level Bug, the game didn't crash (Animations ON). So I don't know what could've caused it but I have an interesting theory that it could be the FE6 Spell Association Editor when I was trying to convert the Tina Staff into a Fortify (which I tried everything, but the game gets buggy and I didn't bother after that). So I guess I can say this with an open thought. DON'T TOUCH the Spell Association Editor of FE6. I believe that must've caused that Weapon Level to crash.

Also I just wanna say this out loud, but Ogier (Oujay) doesn't have his original Hero Palette (Animation ON) on the FE6 module. So, I have to use the APE Editor to work out his color scheme and change some of the wordings the FE6 module came with. I don't know Oujay's original Palette on the Hero class, but I gave him a HUGE upgrade in my hack. Instead of that pale gold armor of his, he is having an awesome gold palette of his armor so once I play my hack I'll show it to you guys as a bonus. He's still the same Palette with the blue hair just shiny that's all.

Edited by ZetaKnightXD