Deserted Spriter's Guild hideout

Lenh

General Bio Questionnaire  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Mapping Level

• N/A
    • Beginner (familiar with a few tilesets, can make maps)
    • Intermediate (familiar with most tilesets, understands common map issues and how to fix them)
    • Advanced (familiar with the majority of tilesets, understands how map affects gameplay and able to create professional-looking maps)
  2. 2. Portrait Level

• N/A
    • Beginner (can create simple splices and recolors)
    • Intermediate (able to create splices with minimal errors, might be starting custom work)
    • Advanced (capable of creating polished splices and custom work, at or comparable to official quality)
  3. 3. Battle Sprite Level

• N/A
    • Beginner (can do splices, modifications, repaints, possibly limited to a few frames of work)
    • Intermediate (beginner skills, +capable of working and providing complete animations)
    • Advanced (can create full animations from scratch)
  4. 4. When taking a request, I would appreciate

• Nothing
    • A trade (for example: a portrait in exchange for a map)
    • Financial compensation
    • Credit where used
    • Praise of my name and work sung throughout the halls of Serenes
    • Feedback
  5. 5. Misc Skills

• N/A
    • Weapon Icons
    • Map / Overworld Sprites
    • Chibi Portraits
    • Non-pixel Arts
    • Hacking
    • Music
    • Writing / Proofing

Please go to the new thread! http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=48619&st=0&p=3199391

(Unless you're filling out the survey)

Original Post:

Just curious if anyone is interested in having a single topic highlighting spriters that want to/can make their spriting services available (for a fee or for trade), or a general census and info hub of the community.

First post would have a listing of spriters that've joined in this, if they're available for work, a link to their page (if they have one), and any details on their preferences (serious commission only, no requests, currently busy, works only towards their own projects/interests, etc). Any projects seeking artists can also get added to a separate listing with a link to their page, what they can offer in return, and the turnaround time on graphics they're seeking.

It wouldn't remove the usefulness of project request topics, and I think the majority of spriters that do commissions have established patrons already, but just throwing this out there as an idea.

Edited by Lenh

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kisara, if you're at the point you're happy making maps, I think it's worth it to just throw yourself out there and just say you're still a beginner. There's plenty of people that would be glad for any map-maker, as they're probably a novice in their end as well.

Also guys if you're volunteering, it'd be super-helpful if you gave a link to your page if you have one. I might do a bit of hunting for it (or just bulk survey?), but I might just link to your profile if I can't find it.

Edited by Lenh

Perhaps a subforum should be created for requests, with a map request and sprite request topic being pinned? Then any other requests for projects and the like could be posted there too. Just an idea :P

Back when eCut was mod, this sort of thing (request subforum) was requested for the hacking forum, but she mentioned it wasn't up for community discussion.

Things might have changed, but the best I can really hope for is a sticky and someone staying active enough to update OP, or enough activity in the thread to keep it on first page. Having a subforum doesn't give a quick index of spriters, either. That'd still need to be manual.

Edited by Lenh

Mhm yeah I guess I'd join then, if the thread/subforum is created.

Also you could still have a sticky topic in a subforum with an index of spriters, allowing you to PM if you want, or make a thread if that person doesn't care who does it, i guess

Back when eCut was mod, this sort of thing (request subforum) was requested for the hacking forum, but she mentioned it wasn't up for community discussion.

Things might have changed, but the best I can really hope for is a sticky and someone staying active enough to update OP, or enough activity in the thread to keep it on first page. Having a subforum doesn't give a quick index of spriters, either. That'd still need to be manual.

Huh, it's absolutely up for discussion, you just have to come up with a solid idea and then talk to me about it. If you guys think it'll be a useful subforum that is worth its space then I don't mind giving it a shot. I've already created multiple sub-forums for the Hacking section because users came to me with suggestions for it, it's certainly not an impossible goal if you make your idea and needs heard, lol!

I don't frequent this section, so once you've expanded on your idea/request, send me a PM with what you want/what you want it for specifically and I'll see what I can do.

Huh, it's absolutely up for discussion, you just have to come up with a solid idea and then talk to me about it. If you guys think it'll be a useful subforum that is worth its space then I don't mind giving it a shot. I've already created multiple sub-forums for the Hacking section because users came to me with suggestions for it, it's certainly not an impossible goal if you make your idea and needs heard, lol!

I don't frequent this section, so once you've expanded on your idea/request, send me a PM with what you want/what you want it for specifically and I'll see what I can do.

Cool! My misunderstanding then, good to know we have the possibilities open. I'd still like to get public input on it for a few days before PMing any specific request to you.

Personally I'm leaning towards just keeping it simple and having a stickied thread, just so we don't cannibalize the dedicated forums.

Well. I think I'm up for the test! I'm often asked to do sprites for people. I currently have two or three sprites to do.

But I can do Maps and Portraits so yup.

Beside, my work is not free. You'll have to pay me with kisses O_O

Well. I think I'm up for the test! I'm often asked to do sprites for people. I currently have two or three sprites to do.

But I can do Maps and Portraits so yup.

Beside, my work is not free. You'll have to pay me with kisses O_O

...-Buys heresy's kisses-

This much's okay?

Something I added in Skype chat when we were discussing this, perhaps we could push spriters to list their availability on the first post of their sprite topic so people know whether they're open to work or too busy or just unavailable~

I think it'd be cool to have a sort of encyclopedia of what people are interested in making, a few samples of their work, possibly a minimum price for what they offer their customized sprite work for if they want money for it, what kind of hacks they'd be interested in helping with, etc.

Or perhaps we could just make a form for people to put on their first post of their sprite topic that explains all of these things to make it easier for artists-people looking for art to communicate? And just leave an alphabetized, categorized list of links to artists' galleries who want to help out with hacks/etc.

Wow, didn't know there were so many mappers out there. 'w'

An idea Merc threw out was to have requesters give a review of the work when it was completed (overall on a scale of 0->5 stars, and a sentence or two of how things went, e.g.:

My request from Niharu

5/5 stars
She made my mug, and I am happy now.
I recommend Niharu.

)

Another idea is to have spriters/mappers post updates in the thread to let people/OP highlight that they're available for requests/work.

---

Currently I'm thinking of formatting the first post like below. It's definitely in the rough draft state, but if anyone has better ideas or would like things formatted a different way I'd like to hear/see it.

Sprite Guild

Mission statement / description of purpose.

Request and thread guidelines (how to post a request, guidelines for understanding/creating base commission prices*).

A suggestion/survey form for spriters/mappers to fill out and put in their sprite thread, if they wish. (Thanks for the suggestion, mew ^_^)

Member List:

A very pretty version of something like:

9XiBj.png

^ When something's in table form like that, it's fairly easy for me to update on a regular basis. Names would be linked to their main thread, if they have one.

Open Requests:

Project Recruitment Request (will be hyperlinked to project thread) -

LastUpdated:##/##/##, Initiated/Bumped/Changed

Lead: Usrname(linked)

Skills/exact request: e.g. "I need 50 portraits by tomorrow. It doesn't matter if they're splices, but they should look unique."

Offering: Money/Credits/CharityWork/TradeInService

Single Request (will be linked to the specific request post) - LastUpdated:Time:Status

LastUpdated:

Requested by: Usrname(linked)

Exact Request:

Offering :

This is a fantastic idea, and one I support wholeheartedly. In the future I'd like to see something like this for all the skillsets possessed by Serenes' goers (as it would prove immensely useful for hacks), but the spriting forums seem like the logical starting ground for things.

Also the sooner this gets off the ground the sooner I can start farming out my massive to-do list.

;)

Edited by Siuloir

I've been getting a couple of mug requests lately, so you can chalk me up for that.

I'd opt in for maps as well but it seems a saturated field.

Also, no commissions for me, I honestly believe getting paid money for making Fire Emblem mugs would put me on a sure path to shooting myself in the face for having bad ethics.