[Shadow Dragon/New Mystery] Weapon triangle effectiveness hacking?

Kysafen

So I've been exposing my mate to Fire Emblem for a little bit now, and I want to do playthroughs of Shadow Dragon, but the hit rates are way too fucking high for me to actually strategize my use of the weapon triangle. Or actually enjoy the game.

So is there a way I can hack either of them for any (or a combination) of the following:

1. Can I edit the hit rate effectiveness of WTA?
  2. Can I edit the damage effectiveness of WTA?
  3. Can I edit a unit's dodge-speed calculations (so I can make Thieves actually good at dodging)?
  4. If all else fails, can I change a weapon's hit/damage statistics?
  5. Can I edit enemy unit placement, to place more units on a map?
Edited by Kysafen

from my limited experience in fiddling around with shadow dragon, its definately possible to change weapon hitrates and where units spawn, and you can add some units without breaking the game, but you have to be careful about it (I added Athena to chapter 6, and Horace to 12 without reprucussions)

I'd think the weapon triangle would be hardcoded, but someone more knowledgeable than me would know more about it.

I think there are some dropdown options in nightmare that can give classes +hit/crit, but I forget if avoid is an option.

Edited by General Horace

If it helps, here's some documentation on how to change the WTA table for the GBA games: http://feuniverse.us/t/weapon-triangle-advantage-table/285

I'd suspect you could find something similar in Shadow Dragon if you had a hex editor (don't quote me on that though).

The chances are that it's not going to help much at all.

With a little fiddling, you can access a weapons module much like the GBA games where you can knock down weapon accuracy if you feel like it. Mind you, this doesn't change hit calculations, so you may find that hit rates become universally pretty low. Classes can definitely be assigned crit, and I recall being able to assign hit and crit to individual units. I can't remember if avoid was an option though, I don't have the database file on this machine.

Edits so far, tell me if these are horrible ideas for implementation:

1. Gave all weapons (sans Devil weapons) a minimum crit rate of 10 to emphasize WTA
  2. Changed Devil Sword/Axe's stats to have a motif of 6 (Hit rate: 66, Might/Uses/Weight: 18 (6+6+6), Weapon Experience/Crit: 6. Tell me if I should change this to "7," since, you know, "Devil's Luck" and all that.
  3. Gave Iron weapons greater weapon experience to make using them after hitting "D" rank actually meaningful beyond controlled damage output, and lowered Silver Weapons' WPEXP.
  4. Generally lowered all weapon hit rates. It'll emphasize WTA and give greater incentive to increase Hit if you decide to Forge.
  5. Changed all of Mercurius' stats to be divisible by 5, since Mercury corresponds to the number 5 in numerology; (Hit: 70, Uses: 25 (5*5), Might: 5, Critical: 15, Weight: 5
  6. Increased the crit rate of bows. The lower the tier, the higher the crit rate. I might increase some bows' range to 3, and the longbow's range to 5, and make further durability/damage output balances.
  7. Lowered the Rapier's might to 4, lowered hit to 80, lowered weight to 3, and increased critical to 20. Even if he'll down a cavalier/armor, he'll still feel the effect of WTA.
  8. Goddamn it why did Nintendo have to name the lance "Ridersbane"? Why couldn't it have been "Jouster" instead