How much memory on the SD card do the routes take?

astrophys

Specifically, this is my situation:

I have an original generation, North American, regular 3DS and whatever SD card came standard on it.

The only things that I've downloaded are some DLCs (FE: Awakening DLC, Persona Q DLC, SMT IV DLC).

These take up a total of: 937 blocks (FE Awakening), 107 blocks (SMT IV) and 4 blocks (Persona Q).

The data management system on my 3DS says that I have 13,241 open blocks remaining.

My plan for the game is to arbitrarily purchase one of the versions, buy the other as the DLC, and then buy the third route as DLC as well.

However, I don't know how big they are as DLCs.

Would I be able to comfortably fit the 2nd route, as well as the third route, assuming its of fairly comparable size, as well as some amount of the other DLCs that they might release? The first route will be PHYSICAL.

Or do I need to buy a larger SD card? If I do need a larger one, what would I need to do to transfer my data to the expanded SD card? (No need to answer this latter question if my remaining space is already big enough).

Thanks.

ADDENDUM: Someone on GameFAQs gave me this answer: is it correct?

"Apparently, the yet to be released 3rd path will take up 599 blocks (about 75 MB). So if you bought Birthright, then Conquest uses up 880 blocks (around 110 MB), you should have more than enough room and I assume Birthright is roughly about the same size as Conquest."

If this is true, I should be fine.

Edited by astrophys

"Apparently, the yet to be released 3rd path will take up 599 blocks (about 75 MB). So if you bought Birthright, then Conquest uses up 880 blocks (around 110 MB), you should have more than enough room and I assume Birthright is roughly about the same size as Conquest."

While I certainly hope this is true, since I'm in the same position you are (2gb sd card but nearly empty), this seems really small compared to the size of the digital download. I know it'd be a lot smaller, but not that much smaller. Can someone verify this?

While I certainly hope this is true, since I'm in the same position you are (2gb sd card but nearly empty), this seems really small compared to the size of the digital download. I know it'd be a lot smaller, but not that much smaller. Can someone verify this?

i have awakening as download and it takes 8798 blocks I only bought 5 dlc so that's not that much. Assuming they have around the same size as awakwning had you will need a new one

i have awakening as download and it takes 8798 blocks I only bought 5 dlc so that's not that much. Assuming they have around the same size as awakwning had you will need a new one

Well yeah, but we aren't talking about downloading the whole game. We're talking about buying a physical version and then downloading the other two routes (and any other DLC). It really comes down to how much data is on the game card already.

So if someone who imported a physical version and has downloaded the other route could tell us, this issue could be resolved.

I suppose that if they release a special edition here, then that also could help alleviate the problem… doesn't that cartridge have both of the first two routes on it? However, we don't know if said edition will actually be released here yet, so we need to at least consider the possibility that the physical versions will only be Birthright or Conquest.

Edited by astrophys

In the special edition both games are on the same cartridge. Perhaps both games are on the cartridge in the regular versions too, but you need to download a small amount of files to unlock the other game?

Can anyone who actually has a Hoshido/Nohr version who has downloaded the other (or looked at their prices in the shop) confirm the sizes.

(That said, I'm guessing that most who imported probably went with the Special Edition or digital.)

Id like to know this information as well just in case. I plan on buying Conquest physical copy and downloading the other two routes. (I mean, im waffling on buying physical cart of Birthright but i dunno)

I mean, someone has reported the size of a digital copy of the game on a GameFAQs topic: Fire Emblem IF 12, 239 blocks; source: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-nintendo-3ds/72107277?page=4, post #49. From the context, I think they're talking about just one of the games.

But that, obviously, doesn't relate to one who has a physical cart as a lot of the data would be on the cart itself and thus not need to be downloaded.

And as such our question still needs an answer.

I really hope the DLC isn't too big, I'm really tight on space as is with the 2gb card.

Definitely have to go physical, but really hoping that I won't be locked out of the DLC.

I can confirm this. The size of decrypted Nohr DLC is around 107MB, while Hoshido counterpart is 97MB.

For those with 2GB cards, considering the 3DS library and what you may or may not wanna buy, you're probably going to wanna upgrade as to get DLCs and whatnot or save demos that you can still use take a ton of the space on those carts. For me, I have a 16GB micro sd on my New 3DS XL and it's over 100K blocks. Basically that's an ideal amount of storage so long as you don't buy too much digital games and primarily get physical. However as we see with IF, if it is indeed 12K blocks/route then downloading it all is unfeasible for even a 16GB card as itll take a ton of the space on the cart (about 36K blocks, way too much imo despite it being essentially 3 games.) So yeah, if you want the best utility for the game I'd recommend 16GB and getting physical that way you get the best utility you can for the card. Remember that DS games nowadays get patches, meaning that's more space that needs to be dedicated for storage. Back when I had a 2GB card most of the card was driven to a wall due to buying Awakening digitally and also having a ton of space taken by patches for Smash and Pokemon XY and ORAS.

Nvm as above says it's a ton smaller. Though I think the phys then dlc is still a smart choice.

Edited by Kanethedragon

RainThunder,

Thanks for verifying this. In that case, if Nohr is 107 MB, Hoshido is 97 MB, then whichever route is digital DLC should easily fit on the SD card if the other route is physical. Same with the 3rd route. In fact, it could be down multiple times over.

I guess that's the advantage of having so much stuff accounted for by the cart.