Forum for Fire Emblem Debates (Poll)

Jyosua

Fire Emblem Debate Forum Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should we create a forum specifically for Fire Emblem Debates?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty nuetral on the matter, but I think that making one would stop non-debating members from getting upset over debating matters. No offense to anyone who doesn't debate or anything, but a select few people in this group seem to have strong opinions against debating with no just cause, and find this to be a good reason to flame those debating.

Sounds like a plan

that way the ppl who like to debate don't have to bother the ppl who didn't and vice versa.

and Metal Arc, does that include "What's your favorite..." kind of topics too?

No, those are opinions.

@Arc: Which is one of the reasons I'm nuetral. I don't see why we can't just debate in those forums, also.

In my opinion we need to separate debate threads from opinion threads because there are those who don't have the stomach for debating.

In my opinion we need to separate debate threads from opinion threads because there are those who don't have the stomach for debating.

No the caring to bother.

I don't think a new forum is necessary, why not just make a new rule that states that a character vs character thread has to have a poll if it's for favorites and must NOT have a poll for debates.

Think about it, a poll would tell you which character is the more favored, while in a debate the poll is useless since the result on the debate depends on which side has the better arguments and not the number of votes.

Just my 2 cents

I don't think a new forum is necessary, why not just make a new rule that states that a character vs character thread has to have a poll if it's for favorites and must NOT have a poll for debates.

Think about it, a poll would tell you which character is the more favored, while in a debate the poll is useless since the result on the debate depends on which side has the better arguments and not the number of votes.

Just my 2 cents

I think this is rather perfect.

We won't have enough debates to need a separate forum anyway. It would die out.

I say make a place just for debating and if ppl bring debates into non debate topics they get warned.

That's extreme. There's no need to warn someone for accidently getting into a debate in a non-debate topic. Do we get warned everytime you go off-topic in a thread? No.

Just my 2 cents

And if someone just clicks to check the last post of the thread, not noticing there's a poll? They might take it as a debating topic and start to debate. Then, the people who aren't debating would ge upset and the two sides would start to argue (One side would probably be flaming, too). That's exactly what we want to avoid.

The poll idea is nice and all, but a new member might not have enough experience to know what to do, or even that s/he had to do something to differentiate.

The real problem is everyone getting butthurt over people claiming opinions as facts.

I thought SF was a place where everyone was accepted, and this is segregation.

Edited by Meteor

The poll idea is nice and all, but a new member might not have enough experience to know what to do, or even that s/he had to do something to differentiate.

The real problem is everyone getting butthurt over people claiming opinions as facts.

I thought SF was a place where everyone was accepted, and this is segregation.

What are you claiming to be segregation? O_o

And if someone just clicks to check the last post of the thread, not noticing there's a poll? They might take it as a debating topic and start to debate. Then, the people who aren't debating would ge upset and the two sides would start to argue (One side would probably be flaming, too). That's exactly what we want to avoid.

When looking at the "view new posts" section, you can clearly see the word "Poll" right next to the topic title so there's no excuse there.

If a debate starts, then every user that knows the rule SHOULD simply avoid that post and report it. If the person that started that debate by mistake, then a warning's a good wake up call for him/her... or there could simply be a warning that to alert the user without adding to his warning percentage.

That rule could easily be adjusted just in case there are some possibilities that it doesn't already cover. If debates getting into "favorites" polls is that much of a problem because new users are not aware of it, just direct new users to see the rules through that registration e-mail or on the account activation link if possible.

Edited by ThunderMan

What are you claiming to be segregation? O_o

I am not segregation...(?)

All I'm saying is that telling certain users their opinions are unwelcome except on a certain board seems like a pretty unfair thing to do.

I disagree with that idea, I think it contrast the point of having a discussion board in the first place. Such a policy could very easily inspire unwarranted elitism, something I believe would devalue the community. I know a forum in which members who demonstrate ineptitude in regard to discussion certain matters are banned from posting in that one pertaining board in the forum. I would disagree of something like that being implemented as well, but I believe it would be a more fair alternative to disallowing members from posting in a board until they somehow prove their maturity.

Edited by Wist

Just my 2 cents

I REALLY feel aimed at...

I am not segregation...(?)

All I'm saying is that telling certain users their opinions are unwelcome except on a certain board seems like a pretty unfair thing to do.

Their opinions are welcome until they try to tell other's they're wrong for having their opinions. Then it turns into a debate, which not everyone likes, and clutters up a thread made solely for friendly opinions, while debates become very heated and in some cases unfriendly. I think we need a controlled environment for things such as this and need to separate it from the overall friendliness of the rest of the board.

That's pretty much what you have to do to win a heated debate; make your opponent feel uneasy about his or her arguments. This may seem very unfriendly, when it in fact is not.