Basic questions for FE4 (Instruction Manual stuff)

Delusions

I want to play FE4, but since the earliest game I've played is FE6, I imagine I will make a lot of mistakes through trial and error. Could someone elaborate some basic stuff of the game's mechanics so I don't screw up?

Also, my USB controller is busted, do I need the X and Y buttons on the controller to do anything?

Oh, and please don't spoil the story for me. I just want to learn things that are necessary for me to figure out how to play. Thanks.

There's a great Everything you need to know and Nothing you Don't video guide, meant precisely to expose you to what's going on in FE4 while not spoiling anything past the very first chapter's gameplay. He also did a followup video all about Castles and the Arena which becomes available after that prologue chapter. I recommend those as a Players Manual experience.

You definitely need the X button, since that's how you check unit stats. See if your emulator can remap it to a button on your controller that does work, or just play with your keyboard. Fire Emblem plays great that way. It's almost like strategy games were meant for computers in the first place

44 minutes ago, Zapp Branniglenn said:

There's a great Everything you need to know and Nothing you Don't video guide, meant precisely to expose you to what's going on in FE4 while not spoiling anything past the very first chapter's gameplay. He also did a followup video all about Castles and the Arena which becomes available after that prologue chapter. I recommend those as a Players Manual experience.

You definitely need the X button, since that's how you check unit stats. See if your emulator can remap it to a button on your controller that does work, or just play with your keyboard. Fire Emblem plays great that way. It's almost like strategy games were meant for computers in the first place

Thanks. Is there a way to check what each characters' skills do in the menu?

21 minutes ago, Delusions said:

Thanks. Is there a way to check what each characters' skills do in the menu?

Yeah, you should be able to get more info on them by pressing X (or whatever X is mapped to) on the part of the character's status screen with the skills on them (press X on a unit and then press down to reach the lower screen). Its not the most detailed (it doesn't go into details with activation rates for instance), but it should give you an idea of what they all do.

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yeah, you should be able to get more info on them by pressing X (or whatever X is mapped to) on the part of the character's status screen with the skills on them (press X on a unit and then press down to reach the lower screen). Its not the most detailed (it doesn't go into details with activation rates for instance), but it should give you an idea of what they all do.

OK thank you