FE3 NA Names Patch

RPGuy96

tldr: Here's a patch for Mystery of the Emblem that differs from the latest Robert the Sable patch only in that it uses NA rather than PAL names. (Full name changelist below)

The other big note is that I have NOT played all the way through this patch, though I'd be a bit surprised if there are any errors not present in Robert the Sable's patch.  So it's a little bit at your own risk right now.

fe3_na_names.zip

v1.1_unheadered-001.png.d80e920f42828ba2b1c26ddeec8fc6df.pngv1.1_unheadered-002.png.4a42b559e87b473d891d134e0eab924f.png

Longer story: Recently I wanted to play Mystery of the Emblem again, and maybe also Shadow Dragon and New Mystery with it.  However, as an American, I am now used to the American names in Shadow Dragon, so the PAL names used in the updated Mystery patch are just a little bit offputting.  While I was idly considering finding my old tools to update the names in my and Vincent's patch, I saw that Robert the Sable released his tools for hacking, and a project idea was born.  Some small changes later, I think I have everything working.  Of particular note is that I've only played through the Chapter 1 opening of both books and the Book 1 final chapter & ending to do some spot checks - it's possible that I screwed something up elsewhere, but I don't think so, because Robert's tools helpfully warn when there's line overruns or collisions.  (I had several of both categories to fix - the NA names are generally longer, especially the places names like Archanea and Macedon.)  Anyway, I thought this might be generally useful, so here it is.  An important note is that I did this because it was easy, thanks to Robert's excellent tools, so while I'm happy to fix any errors I introduced, I'm not looking to take on any big projects.

The patches are intended for unheadered roms - one of the 1.0 version, and one for 1.1.  If there's an error, try getting rid of your header.

Full name changelist, using this name chart:

Spoiler

Medon -> Macedon
Doluna -> Dolhr
Dolunian -> Dolhr
Akaneia -> Archanea
Rucke -> Lykke
Reynard -> Hyman
Elrean -> Arlen
Feena -> Phina
Samto -> Samuel
Yumina -> Yuliya
Yubello -> Jubelo
Malicia -> Marisha
Nabarl -> Navarre
Shiida -> Caeda

Feels kinda fun to release a patch again after 15 years.  🙂

Credits:

Me: Original patch hacking and NA names changes

VincentASM: Original script

Quirino: Updated script and hacking

Robert the Sable: Updated hacking, and extremely useful FE3 tools on github

Edited by RPGuy96
Patch update (Mamkute -> Manakete in dragonstone descriptions)

On 12/1/2023 at 8:32 AM, RPGuy96 said:

Robert the Sable: Updated hacking, and extremely useful FE3 tools on github

Glad you found them useful! I haven't had time/motivation to update them much recently, but it's good to see anyone getting some use out of them.

2 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Glad you found them useful! I haven't had time/motivation to update them much recently, but it's good to see anyone getting some use out of them.

Indeed, they made it really easy to make the changes.  Thank you as well for your excellent hacking modifications - as you could probably tell, SNES assembly was never my forte, and I haven't exactly picked up much over the intervening time period.

3 hours ago, Mac and Cheese said:

Hi, as FE3 is by far my favorite FE, I decided to give this patch a run. During the opening to Chapter 10, I have found this bit of text overflow, fortunately, this doesn't crash the game. I will report more bugs as I find them. Thank you for this patch.

Thank you!  I moved around a pause in the Chapter 10 opening, but I needed to add one as well.  That's fixed, and I updated the zip file in the original post.  Please post anything else you notice!

• 3 weeks later...

Ack!  I think those guys are supposed to be "Archanea" enemies - that overflows and causes problems.  I'll have to use an abbreviation - just need to knock off one letter, the question is which one?

Any remaining instances of Chiki -> Tiki should be very straightforward.

I will update with a new patch, probably not tomorrow though.  Thanks again for finding bugs!

1 hour ago, RPGuy96 said:

Ack!  I think those guys are supposed to be "Archanea" enemies - that overflows and causes problems.  I'll have to use an abbreviation - just need to knock off one letter, the question is which one?

Any remaining instances of Chiki -> Tiki should be very straightforward.

I will update with a new patch, probably not tomorrow though.  Thanks again for finding bugs!

For whatever it's worth, previous patch called the Chapter 20 mooks "Bodyguard"

On 12/24/2023 at 9:51 PM, Mac and Cheese said:

For whatever it's worth, previous patch called the Chapter 20 mooks "Bodyguard"

Ah, and they are still called "Bodygrd" here - I was wrong about "Archanea" being the problem, at least directly.  The actual issue was that part of the names table was 1 byte longer than expected, which caused the end character of "Bodygrd"  - the last name - to be overwritten with the first class name ("Lord").  Or something like that.  I believe I fixed it, but if you happen to have a B2C20 save I would be happy to check.

I also replaced "Chiki" with "TIki" - that item description was the only place remaining.

• 4 weeks later...

This is so cool. Thanks for doing this! I was hoping someone would one day get around to updating the names to the official NA localizations.

One additional request, I noticed in the screenshot above it uses the name, "Mamkutes" for Tiki's class. Could this be changed to Manaketes or Manakete (same number of characters) since that's the official English localized name?

Also, are these to be patched over Robert's English patch or a fresh ROM?

Thanks!

On 1/22/2024 at 3:44 AM, MisterArrogant said:

One additional request, I noticed in the screenshot above it uses the name, "Mamkutes" for Tiki's class. Could this be changed to Manaketes or Manakete (same number of characters) since that's the official English localized name?

That's an excellent point.  It's already been changed to Manakete in most locations (by Quirino or Robert in previous patches), but the item descriptions still have Mamkute.  I changed this from what you see in the screenshot above to:

Transforms
Manaketes
into
FireDragons

And similar, which I think has better verb / object plural agreement and is a byte less than the original so it doesn't run into space issues.  A win-win!

On 1/22/2024 at 3:44 AM, MisterArrogant said:

Also, are these to be patched over Robert's English patch or a fresh ROM?

A clean ROM - this is basically just Robert's patch with the names modified (and some minor typos and such fixed).