Forest Village's "The Prisoner's Whereabouts" Glitch/Bug

I've recently started playing Echoes again and I decided to finish completing all of the quests on my main file.

However, it seems I've made a mistake along the way, locking me out of completing the "The Prisoner's Whereabouts" quest.

I have tried to replicate the glitch on an alternate save file I had, and here is what I think I did to break the quest-line:
1) Talk to Merchant's Wife and activate quest
2) Go to Sylvan Shrine and read the text on the wall
[At this point you can talk to the Merchant's Wife to send her off in a daze, but I don't think this step matters at all in terms of breaking the quest]
2) Rescue/talk to the Village Merchant in Nuibaba's Abode Interior
3) Go to Sylvan Shrine once again and read the text on the wall
4) Talk to Merchant's Wife
It seems reading the text on the wall overrides the fact that I already saved the Village Merchant, causing the Merchant's Wife to just never give you the Mila Carving/renown. This also means the specific quest bubble for this quest-line seen on the overworld map for Forest Village will be stuck as incomplete.

If anyone knows if I can reverse the checkpoints/flags that caused this or just have a solution in general I'd be eternally grateful. The obvious solution is I can restart the game, but really I've spent too much time on my main file (namely grinding for the mystery relics). However, I just wanted to post my experience on here for anyone in the future to reference if this happens to them as well.

But for now, I guess the Merchant's Wife will just be in an eternal daze while the merchant is stuck in the void forever.