Newcomers who are more likely now than during Ultimate's lifespan?

What characters do you think are more likely for the next Smash game than they were during Ultimate's base game (mainly due to EiH) or during its DLC run? For me, a few characters:

• Waluigi
  • A new Zelda character
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • More obscure / oddball newcomers
  • A character who was previously considered to be playable

Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee, and a new Zelda character (Impa comes to mind) are the three that I immediately think of. The outcry for Waluigi after he was revealed as an Assist Trophy was big enough that Nintendo actually said something about it, that has to mean something. Bandana Dee is the last "big" Kirby character left, the last of the four playables. And Zelda has been asking for something for ages and it feels like now is a good time for it.

I don't know what EiH is.

Feels like a wound's been re-opened thinking about how we were, frankly, inundated with Zelda releases before and surrounding Smash 4's release and all we got was a skyward sword stage. Compared to those days, Zelda has felt like a non-entity as a franchise. So I wouldn't name it more likely now than it was during Ultimate's development. There was a Skyward Sword port. And the two new games take place entirely within Breath of the Wild's seven year old universe. Not a lot of exciting ground to cover. 

The Switch era in general wasn't bursting with new original stuff. My #1 answer would have to be (Spoiler) from Metroid Dread. We shouldn't waste there being another reasonably-sized Metroid villain. I want to hear him mutter coldly in alien speak during his final smash. Subtitles revealing the words "accept your helplessness". I think Bayonetta and No More Heroes deserve some representation as honorary Nintendo franchises. Pikmin 4 presents a moment to reflect on what a Pikmin character ought to play like in Smash. And Kirby hasn't stopped being incredible.

Edited by Zapp Branniglenn

I know he's been requested to death, but I'm gonna say Geno. Purely because of the fact that, with Super Mario RPG's remake on the Switch, he's more relevant right now than at any previous time in the past 20 years. But watch Sakurai troll his fans by making Mallow playable instead.

Edited by Shanty Pete's 1st Mate
Clarification.

How about Paper Mario? His most popular game is coming back this year, that's going to put him back in the spotlight for sure.

Krystal's promotion to Assist Trophy in SSBU has me feeling hopeful she'll be further promoted to playable in SSB6. Even if she gets in as a Fox echo, I'll be happy.

I'm surprised Octoling didn't join Inkling in SSBU. Seems perfect for an Echo.

Pikmkn 4's success has me feeling confident we'll see something from that game. I can picture Moss/Oatchi being added as a mount for Olimar/Rookie, and of course Ice Pikmin can easily join the other seven varieties.

A lot of third party candidates can easily follow the ones added in SSB4 and SSBU.

Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow - any of them seem like perfectly plausible followups to Sonic. Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow all have an easy starting point for their movesets, too - Sonic himself. Shadow was basically a Sonic Echo already when he debuted and the fact he missed SSBU's roster astounds me.

Proto Man, Roll, X, and Zero seem the most likely followups to Mega Man. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bass either.

Alucard was in considerstion for SSBU. If that doesn't land him a spot in SSB6, I don't know what will.

FFVII is probably gonna keep getting shilled with Tifa. All well and good, but it'd be nice to see other FF games get some good treatment.

Edited by Lord_Brand