Tier Lists

Knife

Tiers? In MY world?

Nope. Don't care for them in the least.

Tier bashing is a little immature since they are essentially advice on which characters to use, and bashing advice=no.

Bashing advice=bad may be true, but I think there are some people who will bash you for not following the advice. Or so I heard...

>_>

Tier lists are also changeable. Marth sure as hell wasn't the second highest character in the game when Melee came out, and Luigi started somewhere in low, for example.

Edited by Mac

Tiers are based on matchups and strengths/weaknesses, so even if you play your favorite character, you'll need to know why your character is placed there, and learn the matchups he/she has most trouble with.

Well you don't need to know why he/she is there. In Brawl tourneys I try to use one character throughout (with the exception of wi-fi tourneys or large tourneys) and worry about the strengths and weaknesses in how I play as that character, not how the character is usually played (for example, Diddy's a bit of a wildcard because everybody uses his bananas, and if your enemy can control your bananas then your screwed, but I play Diddy without bananas, so my weaknesses and strengths are going to be different than the typical Diddy).

Tier lists are also changeable. Marth sure as hell wasn't the second highest character in the game when Melee came out, and Luigi started somewhere in low, for example.

Well he was 4th when it came out, and Weegee was 8th. With the exception of the original Melee tier list, the top 5 has always been Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Peach. They've just been changing order. Also, Sheik was number 1 until July '06, almost 4 whole years after the first tier list came out. Tiers don't change very quickly, and even with metagames growing as dramatically as Melee's did, characters still don't drift too far from their original spots.

Edited by Krevin

Well you don't need to know why he/she is there. In Brawl tourneys I try to use one character throughout (with the exception of wi-fi tourneys or large tourneys) and worry about the strengths and weaknesses in how I play as that character, not how the character is usually played (for example, Diddy's a bit of a wildcard because everybody uses his bananas, and if your enemy can control your bananas then your screwed, but I play Diddy without bananas, so my weaknesses and strengths are going to be different than the typical Diddy).

Your Diddy will get destroyed then. All of the good Diddy Kongs utilize his bananas with his glide toss to piss off their opponents and rack up damage. The reason why he's placed on the tier list is because he has said bananas. He is also amazing at controlling his bananas and picking them up with dash attack which has almost no lag after the attack. Plus, his bananas combo into his D-smash or F-smash pretty easily after a glide toss.

Well he was 4th when it came out, and Weegee was 8th. With the exception of the original Melee tier list, the top 5 has always been Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, and Peach. They've just been changing order. Also, Sheik was number 1 until July '06, almost 4 whole years after the first tier list came out. Tiers don't change very quickly, and even with metagames growing as dramatically as Melee's did, characters still don't drift too far from their original spots.

Sheik was the best before they realized about really advanced techs in melee. It all depends on what is discovered in the game for the entire community. It can change quickly if someone finds an AT that really changes how the game is played.

Marth wasn't high in the tier lists at all in Melee until Ken picked him up. Then it was developed by a ton of other players, and I personally think he deserves a top tier spot just from what M2K shows in huge tourneys against top players.

Edited by Rei

Your Diddy will get destroyed then. All of the good Diddy Kongs utilize his bananas with his glide toss to piss off their opponents and rack up damage. The reason why he's placed on the tier list is because he has said bananas. He is also amazing at controlling his bananas and picking them up with dash attack which has almost no lag after the attack. Plus, his bananas combo into his D-smash or F-smash pretty easily after a glide toss.

My Battle Diddy clings to the abnormality of being nannerless. He's actually got some really good attacks, and most non-diddy players (and even some of the good Diddy mains out there) don't realize it because Diddy turns every fight into such a bananafest. I find it helps tremendously with mindgaming your enemy if you throw a few bananas every now and then.

I'll admit, Diddy's bananas are amazing, but I sort of use them as a last resort, so that I don't constantly have to worry about other people gaining control of my nanners. I'm not saying its a better way to play him, I'm just saying it's the way that works best for me.

Sheik was the best before they realized about really advanced techs in melee. It all depends on what is discovered in the game for the entire community. It can change quickly if someone finds an AT that really changes how the game is played.

In most games, new techniques don't usually push characters too far down. Sheik remained Top/High tier forever despite her short wavedash-length, not-so-short shorthop, and subpar recovery.

Marth wasn't high in the tier lists at all in Melee until Ken picked him up.

http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Lis...ious_tier_lists

Marth was high in the tier list before Ken came along, he just wasn't looked at as a huge threat.

The only time a tier list is extremely dynamic is when the game first comes out and the metagame is still being defined (usually this phase ends when an official tier list comes out).

Edited by Krevin