Wait, do we have an offical online version of the Link Arena now?

So GBA Fire Embelm has multiplayer. And, it actually used to be kind of popular back in the day. I remember even here on Serenes people were trying to do the Link Arena via pen and paper. And, of course, people who mod the game surely got some kind of online version of it working at some point. But, do we have an actual official online version of the Link Arena now? I've never actually managed to actually use it (because most of my real life friends are sucky adults with no time for video games), but the Switch Virtual Console, or whatever the service is called, has net play. So, shouldn't we be able to connect to the Link Arena in Blazing Blade (or Japanese Binding Blade) and actually play it online with relatively no fuss or hassle? That's how it works, right?

The Link Arena on original hardware wasn't compatible with wireless play according to the .org wiki, so it's fair to assume that the virtual console versions are the same. So you wouldn't be able to play online link arena on VC, assuming the VC version is the exact same as the cartridge version. I haven't tested this myself though, so I may be wrong.

Source: Link Arena - Fire Emblem Wiki

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cdijk16 said:

The Link Arena on original hardware wasn't compatible with wireless play according to the .org wiki, so it's fair to assume that the virtual console versions are the same. So you wouldn't be able to play online link arena on VC, assuming the VC version is the exact same as the cartridge version. I haven't tested this myself though, so I may be wrong.

Source: Link Arena - Fire Emblem Wiki

Surely the Switch VC doesn't only emulate wireless play between games. I mean, most of the games on it are built in multiplayer and the original gameboy didn't even have wireless (kind of, there was that infrared thing on the side which I think had some niche use). It can't be that hard to make a game think it's connecting to another gameboy via wired connection over a switch's wifi connection.

Edited by Jotari

17 hours ago, Jotari said:

Surely the Switch VC doesn't only emulate wireless play between games. I mean, most of the games on it are built in multiplayer and the original gameboy didn't even have wireless (kind of, there was that infrared thing on the side which I think had some niche use). It can't be that hard to make a game think it's connecting to another gameboy via wired connection over a switch's wifi connection.

Based on what I could find on the internet, the 3DS and Wii U versions of the VC don't support Link Cable multiplayer for the vast majority of games. I couldn't find anything about the Switch VC though.

Source: Virtual Console - NintendoWiki (niwanetwork.org)

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Cdijk16 said:

Based on what I could find on the internet, the 3DS and Wii U versions of the VC don't support Link Cable multiplayer for the vast majority of games. I couldn't find anything about the Switch VC though.

Source: Virtual Console - NintendoWiki (niwanetwork.org)

The pre-switch virtual consoles didn't allow for net play or inter console connections at all. I've never got it working, but play online is there as an option.

Edited by Jotari