Lego unveils "Great Deku Tree 2-in-1" Zelda set - pre-orders now available

This was inevitable after the success of LEGO Mario. The Deku Tree set looks really cool; I particularly like that there's a skulltula that actually hangs down.

I can think of a few sets that would be cool to see next:

1. The King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker; Link, King of Red Lions with sail, cannon and crane, and possibly a small island, pirate outpost, or Big Octo)

2. The Spirit Train (Spirit Tracks; Link, Spirit Zelda, Phantom Zelda, and Spirit Train)

3. Hyrule Castle (Breath of the Wild), though I don't want to imagine how expensive this one would be considering that it would require even more pieces than the Deku Tree.

4. Clock Tower (Majora's Mask)

Unfortunately, your original link isn't working. But this one should get you there.

Really cool to see! I certainly don't have the spare funds for such an indulgence. But it's good news for hardcore fans, and kids with rich parents. Plus, combine it with the existing sets for Mario and Sonic, and we're halfway to a Super Smash Bros collection! Next up: Lego Bayonetta. Fun for the whole family!

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Unfortunately, your original link isn't working. But this one should get you there.

Really cool to see! I certainly don't have the spare funds for such an indulgence. But it's good news for hardcore fans, and kids with rich parents. Plus, combine it with the existing sets for Mario and Sonic, and we're halfway to a Super Smash Bros collection! Next up: Lego Bayonetta. Fun for the whole family!

Lego being capable of charging as much as they do for their product is very baffling to me. What they're selling is not resource intensive. It is literally just plastic. Higher quality plastic than you'll find in a lunchbox, granted, but still one of the cheapest materials on the planet to use in mass production. And they don't even have a patent on the bricks! They lost it like twenty or thirty years ago! They are essentially making something anyone can make and a very affordable rate yet somehow they're able to charge the equivalent of a new video game console for any major set. The market should be flooded with Lego alternatives, and, yeah, sure, there are definitely Lego alternatives, but for some economic wizardy none of them have rose to prominence and actually free marketed Lego into charging more reasonable prices. There is no Pepsi to Lego's coke. I guess a brand really can just be that powerful. I used to get Lego every year for my birthday or Christmas when I was a kid, but no way in hell I'd pay that much for my own hypothetical kids. They'd be getting the cheap discount brand that is literally just as functional,  because those prices are outrageous.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Lego being capable of charging as much as they do for their product is very baffling to me.

The licensing is certainly contributing a whole lot to that price. Just from a very quick look at Lego's website, I found this Himeji Castle set, which is $160 for a 2125 piece set. Compared to the Deku Tree, which is $300 for a 2500 piece set. And honestly, I think the Himeji Castle is a better looking set as well. Obviously, $160 is still expensive, but it's not nearly as exorbitant as the price you have to pay for something with the word "Zelda" on the box. I would be very curious to know how much of the price hike is Nintendo's cut of the pie and how much of it is just because Lego think they can get away with charging more for the licensed product. We'll likely never know, but I suspect that both factors are quite substantial.

19 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Plus, combine it with the existing sets for Mario and Sonic, and we're halfway to a Super Smash Bros collection!

There's Lego Animal Crossing now too.

59 minutes ago, lenticular said:

The licensing is certainly contributing a whole lot to that price. Just from a very quick look at Lego's website, I found this Himeji Castle set, which is $160 for a 2125 piece set. Compared to the Deku Tree, which is $300 for a 2500 piece set. And honestly, I think the Himeji Castle is a better looking set as well. Obviously, $160 is still expensive, but it's not nearly as exorbitant as the price you have to pay for something with the word "Zelda" on the box. I would be very curious to know how much of the price hike is Nintendo's cut of the pie and how much of it is just because Lego think they can get away with charging more for the licensed product. We'll likely never know, but I suspect that both factors are quite substantial.

There's Lego Animal Crossing now too.

Honestly, both of those sets looks pretty poor to me. I could be wrong, but it looks like the brick count is very low and that both are just a large base with some bells and whistles thrown on. I do agree that the Himeji Castle is the better of the two (and that it's still well overpriced), but neither seem as good as some of the sets I had as a kid.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Honestly, both of those sets looks pretty poor to me. I could be wrong, but it looks like the brick count is very low and that both are just a large base with some bells and whistles thrown on. I do agree that the Himeji Castle is the better of the two (and that it's still well overpriced), but neither seem as good as some of the sets I had as a kid.

How much do you trust your memory for how good things were as a kid? I know I was completely non-critical as a kid, and a lot of things that I loved back then are absolutely not as good as I once thought they were.

33 minutes ago, lenticular said:

How much do you trust your memory for how good things were as a kid? I know I was completely non-critical as a kid, and a lot of things that I loved back then are absolutely not as good as I once thought they were.

Hmm. I'll say about 60%, if such a thing can be quantified.