Idea: Epiclash - Disney's answer to NASB and MultiVersus

A few years back, I posted a topic asking what we'd like to see in a "Disney Smash" game. Lately, I've been doing more cooking on the idea, so I'm looking to revisit it in a new topic where I share some thoughts I've come up with since.

First off, the name. Up until now, I didn't have a concrete idea for a name, but a combination of "fight" and "Fantasmic" stuck out at me, and thus I'm sticking with that for now. "Fightasmic" does also refer to fights breaking out at Disney theme parks in real life, unfortunately, so if anyone has a better name suggestion, I'm all (mouse) ears. I do like the sound of "Fightasmic" though. I have since decided to redub this concept "Epiclash", following other recent Disney projects with portmanteau names like Lorcana and Speedstorm.

Secondly, from a marketing standpoint Disney probably wouldn't want to play up heroes beating each other up even though that would be perfectly possible in the game, so I figure they'd adopt a "Heroes vs. Villains" theme and play that up in advertisements and story. Even the intro would depict the heroes mainly fighting the villains and vice versa, with perhaps a few wild cards like Stitch in there.

Speaking of the intro, I think it'd be neat if Disney licensed Nightwish's Fantasmic song to serve as a theme for the game.

Fighters in Fightasmic Epiclash are currently grouped into one of three categories indicating their playstyle.

• Agility fighters specialize in moving around the stage and launching quick attacks to rack up damage. Examples include Merlin, Aladdin, and Kim Possible.
  • Power fighters hit hard and have lots of knockout hits. They tend to be the heaviest and hardest to knock out in turn. They also excel at destroying or throwing interactive objects such as boulders and chunks of pillar. Examples include Pete, Hercules, and Goliath.
  • Range fighters use a lot of projectiles or melee attacks with considerable reach, and usually prefer fighting from a distance. Examples include Maleficent, Rapunzel, and Elsa.

This isn't to say a fighter of one type can't have any moves or traits of another; plenty of fighters have projectiles, including those who aren't considered Range-type, the Range-types just focus primarily on ranged combat while Agility and Power both have more up-close attack options, and in the case of Agility and Power, their projectiles tend to compliment their preferred fighting styles. Aladdin for example can throw apples to rack up damage to an opponent from a distance, but his main knockout moves will encourage him to close in using his speed.

These are my thoughts for now. I'll probably post lots of rosterbuilding and other ideas later. Feel free to suggest, discuss, etc.

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Lord_Brand said:

First off, the name. Up until now, I didn't have a concrete idea for a name, but a combination of "fight" and "Fantasmic" stuck out at me, and thus I'm sticking with that for now. "Fightasmic" does also refer to fights breaking out at Disney theme parks in real life, unfortunately, so if anyone has a better name suggestion, I'm all (mouse) ears. I do like the sound of "Fightasmic" though.

Gonna be real here: I immediately read this as a cross between "fight" and "orgasmic". Not really fitting the Disney brand. I'd go so far as to say that "-asmic", as a suffix, should be off the table, unfortunately.

Instead, how about "Fightasia"? Take Disney's original crossover hit - the film Fantasia, which crossed music and animation in diverse manners - and put a "Fight" in front of it? Same spirit, but with no risks of dirty minds construing any unintended meaning.

Posted (edited)

Incidentally, "Fantasmic" is a performance Disney puts on at their theme parks. "Fightasia" isn't bad, though I can already see the "Fight Asia" jokes that would inevitably spawn from that. How about something like "Fight of Fantasy" or "Magic Kingdom Battle"?

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Incidentally, "Fantasmic" is a performance Disney puts on at their theme parks. "Fightasia" isn't bad, though I can already see the "Fight Asia" jokes that would inevitably spawn from that. How about something like "Fight of Fantasy" or "Magic Kingdom Battle"?

Hm... well, I didn't know all that. And you have a point, that "Fightasia" wouldn't be perfect, either. Maybe... "Fightasy"? Combining Fighting with Fantasy. If you want to stick with "Fightasmic", though, it's your thread, so go ahead. ...I'll just be stifling my laughter at the implications.

As for the latter two proposals, they definitely sound more like taglines than titles in their own right. So something like "Fightasy: Fight of Fantasy" could work, even if it's a bit redundant. Or "Fightasmic: Roundhouse of Mouse". A subtitle could help explain more, but I think the main title should be one-word. Akin to "Lorcana", their card game.

Speaking of which, make sure you sound out how any title will sound with "Disney's" in front of it. Because you just know they'll be branding this thing as "Disney's Clobberella", rather than just "Clobberella".

Posted (edited)

"Fightasy"..."Fight" + "ecstasy"? :P Hmm...how about "Disney's Fun and Fancy Free-for-All"? Probably too much of a mouthful, but I just had to make the reference.

Ooh, how about "Epiclash?" An epic clash of Magic Kingdom fighters! Yeah, I think I'll use that going forward.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• Lord_Brand changed the title to Idea: Epiclash - Disney's answer to NASB and MultiVersus
  • 3 months later...
On 6/15/2024 at 4:54 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Ooh, how about "Epiclash?" An epic clash of Magic Kingdom fighters! Yeah, I think I'll use that going forward.

Didn't respond 'til now, but yeah, "Epiclash" sounds like a solid choice. Definitely in the vein of "Lorcana". Cheesy, but memorable and easily pronouncible, plus clear what they're going for.

On 6/14/2024 at 2:16 AM, Lord_Brand said:

Secondly, from a marketing standpoint Disney probably wouldn't want to play up heroes beating each other up even though that would be perfectly possible in the game, so I figure they'd adopt a "Heroes vs. Villains" theme and play that up in advertisements and story. Even the intro would depict the heroes mainly fighting the villains and vice versa, with perhaps a few wild cards like Stitch in there.

I do wonder if they'd try to have heroes and villains as "dyads"? Stuff like "if Ariel's playable, then we've gotta have Ursula!" Or if a villain could stand alone - say, Frollo, but no Quasimodo. Or vice-versa for heroes - Maribel is playable, but "intergenerational trauma" is not.

I definitely want to see the villains well-repped. And having them alongside their respective "heroes" could permit for some unique interactions. On the flip side, a strict "dyad" adherence could constrain character selection - what if there's a franchise that warrants one playable character, but not two? So it may be better as a "loose guideline".

That would probably be the case most of the time, simply because it makes sense. You got Peter Pan, you gotta have Captain Hook, right? But there are some cases where that would be harder to justify. Mother Gothel and Hans wouldn't make for very impressive opponents, for example, so Rapunzel and Elsa probably wouldn't be pitted against them, unless they could be granted some kind of powers to make them more formidable (which could totally happen; I was considering Aurora receiving magic powers from the Good Fairies, after all). But someone like Maleficent would be a very worthy opponent indeed.

Additionally, series rep wouldn't have to be limited to "one hero, one villain". I can easily see some films or franchises getting more than two fighters, like Aladdin (Aladdin, Jasmine, and Jafar, to start with) or The Lion King (Simba, Timon & Pumbaa, Scar).

Incidentally, I was picturing a story scene where Hades brings a bunch of the villains back from the dead to serve him in the Epiclash, which really ticks off Thanatos, the God of Death, who works hard gathering souls of the deceased, and with whom Hades had an agreement: Thanatos gathers the souls and brings them to the Underworld, Hades keeps them in the Underworld. Well, Hades isn't doing his job, so Thanatos goes on a long-overdue vacation. No one in the Epiclash can actually die as a result, which is a major inconvenience to Hades. When Hades tries to reason with Thanatos, the God of Death tells the God of the Dead to go to Tartartus and slams the door on him. Yes, this would technically be an original character as far as the Disney mythos is concerned, but Thanatos is the Greek God of Death, basically their Grim Reaper, and Disney's Hercules is an adaptation of Greek myth, so the character would still fit in (and ideally be designed by the same artist as the rest of the Hercules cast).

Of course, as has been discussed before, there's the question of what would be a feasible starting roster for a game like Epiclash? Now in theory, Disney could easily field a roster the size of SSBU, but SSBU had the benefit of four previous entries providing a lot of groundwork for the bulk of that roster, whereas Epiclash would be starting from scratch. So, I think around 30 fighters would be a decent starting point. DLC can of course add on to that roster over time.

I'm thinking this could be a good starting point:

Spoiler
  1. Mickey Mouse - Range
  2. Minnie Mouse - Range
  3. Donald Duck - Agility
  4. Daisy Duck - Agility
  5. Goofy - Power
  6. Pete - Power
  7. Peter Pan - Agility
  8. Captain Hook - Range
  9. Aurora - Range
  10. Maleficent - Range
  11. Ariel - Agility
  12. Ursula - Power
  13. Belle - Range
  14. Beast - Power
  15. Gaston - Power
  16. Aladdin - Agility
  17. Jasmine - Agility
  18. Jafar - Range
  19. Simba (also includes Nala, Kovu, and Kiara as costumes) - Power
  20. Scar - Power
  21. Hercules - Power
  22. Hades - Range
  23. Mulan - Agility
  24. Shan Yu - Power
  25. Stitch - Power
  26. Gantu - Power
  27. Rapunzel - Range
  28. Elsa - Range
  29. Moana - Agility
  30. Maui - Power

I could see them going a bit above 30 if there are some fighters they really want in the base roster, but these cover a lot of the most iconic and popular Disney films. The ones not repped here, like Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Zootopia, would likely make good DLC.

Edited by Lord_Brand

6 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Additionally, series rep wouldn't have to be limited to "one hero, one villain". I can easily see some films or franchises getting more than two fighters, like Aladdin (Aladdin, Jasmine, and Jafar, to start with) or The Lion King (Simba, Timon & Pumbaa, Scar).

Definitely agree with this. The more I think about it, the more "one hero and one villain per series" really comes across a straitjacket. For some franchises, it makes sense. But for others, doing more characters - or fewer - would be better representation.

Incidentally, I was picturing a story scene where Hades brings a bunch of the villains back from the dead to serve him in the Epiclash, which really ticks off Thanatos, the God of Death, who works hard gathering souls of the deceased, and with whom Hades had an agreement: Thanatos gathers the souls and brings them to the Underworld, Hades keeps them in the Underworld. Well, Hades isn't doing his job, so Thanatos goes on a long-overdue vacation. No one in the Epiclash can actually die as a result, which is a major inconvenience to Hades. When Hades tries to reason with Thanatos, the God of Death tells the God of the Dead to go to Tartartus and slams the door on him. Yes, this would technically be an original character as far as the Disney mythos is concerned, but Thanatos is the Greek God of Death, basically their Grim Reaper, and Disney's Hercules is an adaptation of Greek myth, so the character would still fit in (and ideally be designed by the same artist as the rest of the Hercules cast).

This seems very "high-concept" to me. That is, the ideas are more complex than they need to be, especially for a game targeting an "all ages" kind of audience. Granted, I do think your concept could enable some funny framing scenes (especially if we got Pain and Panic back, with their original voices). Still, I imagine a lot of players asking "who's Thanatos, and why should I care?". Here's an alternative premise that I've been playing with:

Welp - Sorcerer Mickey's done it now. He should've known better than to sneak into his master, Yen Sid's, private chambers. He should've thought twice about poring over his collection of old cards, featuring lifelike illustrations of heroes and villains from the past (or maybe the future?). And if he was going to look at them, he definitely shouldn't have tried multi-tasking while stirring an important life-giving potion!

The cards all fall into the pot. There's a lot of bubbling, and out pops... Goofy? Mulan? Maleficent, Cruella, and Ursula? All in the flesh, and scattering with the four winds. Pretty soon, he's got a huge mess on his hands. How can Sorcerer Mickey clean this up, before his master comes home?

This would lead into my concept for the "story mode". Basically, I'm thinking of taking the best aspects of Melee Adventure, the Subspace Emissary, and the World of Light, as well as All-Star Mode. You'd start by playing as Sorcerer Mickey, and explore the Castle via 2D platforming, Metroidvania-style. As you move around, you discover areas with... unusual traits. One wing, transformed into the African Savanna, leading into a fight with Simba at the tip of Pride Rock. Another wing, resembling the Andes Mountains, leading into a battle with Yzma at Kuzco's palace. And once the player defeats an opponent, they become playable in the Story Mode. So maybe Mickey fights Simba, but then Simba gets to take on Yzma. The Story isn't complete until every character has been defeated and recruited. At which point... there's probably some satisfying "final battle", I haven't really thought that far yet.

I could see them going a bit above 30 if there are some fighters they really want in the base roster, but these cover a lot of the most iconic and popular Disney films. The ones not repped here, like Toy Story, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Zootopia, would likely make good DLC.

So, I think one important question to ask is - how wide a net do we wish to cast? If we look at a game like Multiversus, that one draws from all types of Warner Bros properties. So you can get bizarre matchups, like "Arya Stark vs. Bugs Bunny vs. Superman vs. Lebron James". Doing something similar with Disney, it would potentially look like "Mickey Mouse vs. Iron Man vs. Darth Vader vs. Will Smith Genie". Pulling from their other properties - Marvel, Star Wars, and their live-action productions - would cast a wider net, and potentially bring a bigger audience it. At the same time, it makes for a very shallow pool. A lot of their franchises would go totally unrepresented, and fans seeking specific characters would likely be disappointed.

I do think drawing characters from theatrical Disney-branded productions is a smart move - at least, for a starting point. Pixar characters are a no-brainer, and I think characters from Disney Television Animation could fit pretty well, too. But, let's suppose I were making a list, just from the movies. Yours, I think, is a very good one! Definitely got characters from all different Disney eras. Mine, I think, would look something like this [with alts/echoes in brackets]:

Spoiler
  1. Sorcerer Mickey
  2. Donald Duck [Daisy Duck]
  3. Goofy
  4. Doc [Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey]
  5. Cinderella
  6. Maleficent
  7. Cruella de Vil
  8. King Louie
  9. Robin Hood
  10. Ariel
  11. Ursula
  12. Belle
  13. The Beast
  14. Aladdin (feat. Abu)
  15. Jafar (feat. Iago)
  16. Simba [Nala]
  17. Hercules
  18. Mulan [Shang]
  19. Tarzan
  20. Kuzco
  21. Yzma
  22. Stitch [Reuben, Leroy, Angel]
  23. Flynn Rider
  24. Wreck-It Ralph [Fix-It Felix]
  25. Anna
  26. Elsa
  27. Baymax
  28. Moana
  29. Maui
  30. Luisa Madrigal

Then, if I could add 10 characters (either as DLC, or a free expansion) from the world of Pixar:

Spoiler
  1. Woody [Jessie]
  2. Buzz Lightyear
  3. Sully
  4. Nemo [Marlin]
  5. Syndrome
  6. Lightning McQueen
  7. Wall-E
  8. Merida
  9. Joy [Sadness, Anger, Fear, Disgust]
  10. Mei Lee

Finally, if I could add 10 characters from Disney TV animation, here's a few who come to mind:

Spoiler
  1. Huey, Dewey, and Louie
  2. Winnie the Pooh
  3. Chip n' Dale
  4. Kim Possible [Shego]
  5. Perry the Platypus
  6. Dipper Pines
  7. Star Butterfly
  8. Tilly Green
  9. King Andrias
  10. Eda, the Owl Lady [Lilith]

Whew, that was a lot! It's such a challenge to fill out these limited lists from almost a century of Disney history. Let me know what you think.

16 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

This seems very "high-concept" to me. That is, the ideas are more complex than they need to be, especially for a game targeting an "all ages" kind of audience. Granted, I do think your concept could enable some funny framing scenes (especially if we got Pain and Panic back, with their original voices). Still, I imagine a lot of players asking "who's Thanatos, and why should I care?".

Fair point. Though Greek myth buffs would probably appreciate the nod. It'd be similar to how the animated series developed a lot of the gods who had minimal screentime in the original film, and introduced a lot of Greek myth figures absent from the film altogether.

Here's an alternative premise that I've been playing with:

Welp - Sorcerer Mickey's done it now. He should've known better than to sneak into his master, Yen Sid's, private chambers. He should've thought twice about poring over his collection of old cards, featuring lifelike illustrations of heroes and villains from the past (or maybe the future?). And if he was going to look at them, he definitely shouldn't have tried multi-tasking while stirring an important life-giving potion!

The cards all fall into the pot. There's a lot of bubbling, and out pops... Goofy? Mulan? Maleficent, Cruella, and Ursula? All in the flesh, and scattering with the four winds. Pretty soon, he's got a huge mess on his hands. How can Sorcerer Mickey clean this up, before his master comes home?

This would lead into my concept for the "story mode". Basically, I'm thinking of taking the best aspects of Melee Adventure, the Subspace Emissary, and the World of Light, as well as All-Star Mode. You'd start by playing as Sorcerer Mickey, and explore the Castle via 2D platforming, Metroidvania-style. As you move around, you discover areas with... unusual traits. One wing, transformed into the African Savanna, leading into a fight with Simba at the tip of Pride Rock. Another wing, resembling the Andes Mountains, leading into a battle with Yzma at Kuzco's palace. And once the player defeats an opponent, they become playable in the Story Mode. So maybe Mickey fights Simba, but then Simba gets to take on Yzma. The Story isn't complete until every character has been defeated and recruited. At which point... there's probably some satisfying "final battle", I haven't really thought that far yet.

Interesting scenario, reminiscent of Epic Mickey (which is kinda fitting with the name "Epiclash" and all) and Lorcana.

My idea for the story is that a series of portals open up throughout Disney's multiverse of films, TV series, and other media, which the villains use to try and take over while the heroes try to stop the chaos spreading among their worlds. Eventually, it comes to light that Chernabog is the one behind the whole mess, using the Epiclash to absorb energy from defeated fighters and become more powerful. The heroes (and playable villains) figure out how to turn the phenomenon against Chernabog, becoming strong enough to challenge him directly.

So, I think one important question to ask is - how wide a net do we wish to cast? If we look at a game like Multiversus, that one draws from all types of Warner Bros properties. So you can get bizarre matchups, like "Arya Stark vs. Bugs Bunny vs. Superman vs. Lebron James". Doing something similar with Disney, it would potentially look like "Mickey Mouse vs. Iron Man vs. Darth Vader vs. Will Smith Genie". Pulling from their other properties - Marvel, Star Wars, and their live-action productions - would cast a wider net, and potentially bring a bigger audience it. At the same time, it makes for a very shallow pool. A lot of their franchises would go totally unrepresented, and fans seeking specific characters would likely be disappointed.

During previous roster drafts, I had some Afternoon, Pixar, and even Marvel and Star Wars reps in there. I decided that the base roster would primarily draw from the animated canon and theatrical shorts, while the rest would work well as DLC. Marvel and Star Wars could easily field their own roster, which would make it tricky to choose reps for a game where they have to share roster space with dozens of other characters. For Star Wars, I'd probably pick Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader as the two most important reps, being the main protagonist and antagonist of the original trilogy. Some other fine choices would include Obi Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, Boba Fett (maybe with Django as an alt), Darth Maul, General Grievous, Count Dooku, and Ahsoka Tano. Maybe a Stormtrooper for humor. Or Clone Troopers, to include Rex and Cody.

As for Marvel, a number of reps come to mind: Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, and of course Wolverine. Would be nice to get some of the ladies like Jean Grey and Storm, too. For the villains' side, Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Venom, Magneto, Mystique, and the big bad man himself, Thanos, would all be choice selections. The Avengers and X-Men could each easily get their own DLC passes.

Incidentally, here's how I'd probably classify each of these characters:

Spoiler
  • Star Wars
    • Luke SKywalker - Agility
    • Darth Vader - Power
    • Obi Wan Kenobi - Agility
    • Han Solo - Range
    • Chewbacca - Power
    • Princess Leia - Range
    • Boba Fett - Range
    • Darth Maul - Agility
    • General Grievous - Power
    • Count Dooku - Agility
    • Ahsoka Tano - Agility
    • Stormtrooper - Range
    • Clone Troopers - Range
  • Marvel
    • Captain America - Power
    • Hulk - Power
    • Iron Man - Range
    • Spider-Man - Range
    • Thor - Power
    • Wolverine - Agility
    • Storm - Range
    • Green Goblin - Range
    • Doctor Octopus - Range
    • Venom - Power
    • Magneto - Range
    • Mystique - Agility
    • Thanos - Power

Speaking of classification, I'll go through my previous base roster list and apply my intended class for each character accordingly.

I do think drawing characters from theatrical Disney-branded productions is a smart move - at least, for a starting point. Pixar characters are a no-brainer, and I think characters from Disney Television Animation could fit pretty well, too. But, let's suppose I were making a list, just from the movies. Yours, I think, is a very good one! Definitely got characters from all different Disney eras. Mine, I think, would look something like this [with alts/echoes in brackets]:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Sorcerer Mickey
  2. Donald Duck [Daisy Duck]
  3. Goofy
  4. Doc [Sneezy, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey]
  5. Cinderella
  6. Maleficent
  7. Cruella de Vil
  8. King Louie
  9. Robin Hood
  10. Ariel
  11. Ursula
  12. Belle
  13. The Beast
  14. Aladdin (feat. Abu)
  15. Jafar (feat. Iago)
  16. Simba [Nala]
  17. Hercules
  18. Mulan [Shang]
  19. Tarzan
  20. Kuzco
  21. Yzma
  22. Stitch [Reuben, Leroy, Angel]
  23. Flynn Rider
  24. Wreck-It Ralph [Fix-It Felix]
  25. Anna
  26. Elsa
  27. Baymax
  28. Moana
  29. Maui
  30. Luisa Madrigal

Then, if I could add 10 characters (either as DLC, or a free expansion) from the world of Pixar:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Woody [Jessie]
  2. Buzz Lightyear
  3. Sully
  4. Nemo [Marlin]
  5. Syndrome
  6. Lightning McQueen
  7. Wall-E
  8. Merida
  9. Joy [Sadness, Anger, Fear, Disgust]
  10. Mei Lee

Finally, if I could add 10 characters from Disney TV animation, here's a few who come to mind:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Huey, Dewey, and Louie
  2. Winnie the Pooh
  3. Chip n' Dale
  4. Kim Possible [Shego]
  5. Perry the Platypus
  6. Dipper Pines
  7. Star Butterfly
  8. Tilly Green
  9. King Andrias
  10. Eda, the Owl Lady [Lilith]

Whew, that was a lot! It's such a challenge to fill out these limited lists from almost a century of Disney history. Let me know what you think.

You'd pick Flynn before Rapunzel? Interesting. There are a few glaring omissions from the Afternoon DLC: Scrooge McDuck (gotta have the cane pogo!), Darkwing Duck, and Goliath (along with perhaps other Gargoyles rep). Goliath was one of the characters I had as base roster at one point.

Edited by Lord_Brand

You'd pick Flynn before Rapunzel? Interesting. There are a few glaring omissions from the Afternoon DLC: Scrooge McDuck (gotta have the cane pogo!), Darkwing Duck, and Goliath (along with perhaps other Gargoyles rep). Goliath was one of the characters I had as base roster at one point.

Re: Scrooge McDuck and Darkwing Duck - sure, these are great and beloved characters. But man, I've aleady got Donald Duck [plus Daisy as an alt] as well as the triplets being playable. At a certain point, I have to stop and say "that's enough ducks".

Goliath would be a great pick - Gargoyles is, admittedly, something of a pop culture blind spot for me. I could see him taking over a spot. Maybe from Tilly Green - Big City Greens is big right now, but I'm not sure what her moveset would be. Or maybe from Winnie the Pooh - since he's based on a separate story, there are quite a few non-Disney versions of the character. For similar reasons, I was reluctant to include Peter Pan or Alice.

As for not picking Rapunzel, I'm trying to avoid "Princess glut" from happening. Sure, most of the Disney Princesses are here, but I don't think they all need to be. Although, I'm not opposed to including Rapunzel. Hm... maybe if we drop Anna, and put Olaf in her place, then Rapunzel could come instead of Flynn?

During previous roster drafts, I had some Afternoon, Pixar, and even Marvel and Star Wars reps in there. I decided that the base roster would primarily draw from the animated canon and theatrical shorts, while the rest would work well as DLC.

My thought tends to be "would this franchise, or subdivision, be able to support a fighting game in its own right?" With Pixar characters, I'd say "probably not", so I think it makes sense to include them in Epiclash. But Star Wars and Marvel absolutely could have (and have had) their own fighting game. So I see less need for them to "share" the stage here.

Having said that, coming up with 10 each from the MCU and A Galaxy Far, Far Away sounds fun. I'll think it over, and propose my own list soon.

One caveat - I'm not sure if they can use Spider-Man, since Sony appears to still own him, to some extent. If he features, he'd probably be trapped on the PS4/5 version.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Re: Scrooge McDuck and Darkwing Duck - sure, these are great and beloved characters. But man, I've aleady got Donald Duck [plus Daisy as an alt] as well as the triplets being playable. At a certain point, I have to stop and say "that's enough ducks".

But Scrooge is the face of DuckTales! :'D Well, he and the nephews together are. And Webby, if you follow the modern DT. Honestly, you could do a lot worse than repping most of the Duck family. Really, the Duckverse is a pillar unto itself. Speaking of, Launchpad would do double duty for repping DT and Darkwing Duck.

Daisy as a Donald alt can make sense, though I don't know if my personal moveset idea would fit them both. I was picturing Donald having a temper meter that fills up as he takes damage, until he blows his stack and becomes faster for a short while. To fill it up yourself, his Down Special causes bad things to happen to him. Daisy could use that same idea, but I'd be open to giving her a distinct moveset as well.

Goliath would be a great pick - Gargoyles is, admittedly, something of a pop culture blind spot for me. I could see him taking over a spot. Maybe from Tilly Green - Big City Greens is big right now, but I'm not sure what her moveset would be. Or maybe from Winnie the Pooh - since he's based on a separate story, there are quite a few non-Disney versions of the character. For similar reasons, I was reluctant to include Peter Pan or Alice.

Funily enough, I was considering Winnie as a kind of joke fighter - his "fighting style" consists of him stumbling about, not actually trying to hit anybody but doing so accidentally. Like a dash move that has him suddenly trip, or an up tilt that has a swarm of bees fly around above his head. He's got no idea what's going on, he's just trying to get home and satisfy the rumbly in his tumbly!

As for not picking Rapunzel, I'm trying to avoid "Princess glut" from happening. Sure, most of the Disney Princesses are here, but I don't think they all need to be. Although, I'm not opposed to including Rapunzel. Hm... maybe if we drop Anna, and put Olaf in her place, then Rapunzel could come instead of Flynn?

Their popularity (and promotion as mostly all action girls in more recent media) makes me think they'd be among the top candidates for a game like Epiclash. I thus far haven't included Snow White or Cinderella, but I'd be open to them getting movesets. Rapunzel meanwhile practically has her moveset built in, with her hair and frying pan. I would consider including a variant moveset for when her hair gets cut and loses its power, but it'd probably grow back during the match, especially after getting KO'd.

I'm not against the idea of Flynn being playable, I just wonder what his exact moveset would be as his skillset is pretty vanilla. Being a thief, he'd probably be a great agility candidate, though.

My thought tends to be "would this franchise, or subdivision, be able to support a fighting game in its own right?" With Pixar characters, I'd say "probably not", so I think it makes sense to include them in Epiclash. But Star Wars and Marvel absolutely could have (and have had) their own fighting game. So I see less need for them to "share" the stage here.

Having said that, coming up with 10 each from the MCU and A Galaxy Far, Far Away sounds fun. I'll think it over, and propose my own list soon.

Being character-rich franchises in their own right, it's hard to justify only including one or two, especially in a game that would belong to the IP owner. For SW, Luke and Vader are definitely the two must-haves, and though it'd be unfortunate to leave the rest out, you probably could (though I just know Disney would want to shill their trilogy with Rei and Kylo). If Rebels were still in its heyday, Ezra would have been a good suggestion as well.

As for Marvel, I'd say you could probably choose one signature fighter per "family" of superheroes. Wolverine is the obvious choice for the X-Men. For Avengers, I'd say Iron Man or Hulk (for all the obvious "HULK SMASH!" jokes). If Spider-Man is allowed, Spider-Man himself is the obvious choice.

One caveat - I'm not sure if they can use Spider-Man, since Sony appears to still own him, to some extent. If he features, he'd probably be trapped on the PS4/5 version.

I believe it's a licensing agreement between Disney and Sony. If Spidey were to be a Sony-exclusive, I could see the other platforms getting their own exclusives as well. Like Hulk for Xbox (since he's green and all) or Iron Man for Nintendo. Honestly, I could see entire Marvel series being platform exclusive: Spider-Verse for Sony, X-Men for Xbox, and Avengers for Nintendo. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy for Steam?

Takes me back to the days of Link, Heihachi, and Spawn in Soul Calibur...

4 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

I would consider including a variant moveset for when her hair gets cut and loses its power, but it'd probably grow back during the match, especially after getting KO'd.

Maybe Rapunzel's "final smash" could involve her hair getting cut, and then she'll gradually grow it back as the battle goes on? Assuming that "final smashes", or something analogous, exist in this title.

Funily enough, I was considering Winnie as a kind of joke fighter - his "fighting style" consists of him stumbling about, not actually trying to hit anybody but doing so accidentally. Like a dash move that has him suddenly trip, or an up tilt that has a swarm of bees fly around above his head. He's got no idea what's going on, he's just trying to get home and satisfy the rumbly in his tumbly!

"Oh, bother!"

I definitely like that. Maybe one move where he's enjoying a pot of hunny, but accidentally spills it, causing his enemies to get stuck in place.

I believe it's a licensing agreement between Disney and Sony. If Spidey were to be a Sony-exclusive, I could see the other platforms getting their own exclusives as well. Like Hulk for Xbox (since he's green and all) or Iron Man for Nintendo. Honestly, I could see entire Marvel series being platform exclusive: Spider-Verse for Sony, X-Men for Xbox, and Avengers for Nintendo. Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy for Steam?

Ooh, that could work. "X-Men for XBox" is a great pun. It would certainly add variety to the different versions, although hopefully, you could fight other players regardless of their console of choice.

Regardless, let's suppose we get 10 "Marvel" characters, regardless of version. Here are the ones I would pick [alts in brackets]:

Spoiler
  1. Captain America (Steve Rogers) [Captain America (Sam Wilson)]
  2. Hulk (Bruce Banner) [She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)]
  3. Iron Man (Tony Stark)
  4. Thor [Mighty Thor (Jane Foster)]
  5. Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
  6. Thanos
  7. Black Panther (T'Challa) [Black Panther (Shuri)]
  8. Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
  9. Scarlet Witch
  10. Groot

Then, if I were to pick 10 from the "Star Wars" universe, let's go with the following [alts in brackets]:

Spoiler
  1. Luke Skywalker
  2. Darth Vader [Anakin Skywalker]
  3. Yoda
  4. Princess Leia
  5. BB-8 [BB-9E]
  6. Kylo Ren
  7. Jyn Erso
  8. Boba Fett [The Mandalorian]
  9. Ahsoka Tano
  10. Darth Maul

There - from a base of 30, we now have a stunning 70 playable characters. And that's before accounting for clones! Maybe that's too much, but if each group is its own "DLC" pack, then players can select just the franchises that interest them.

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Maybe Rapunzel's "final smash" could involve her hair getting cut, and then she'll gradually grow it back as the battle goes on? Assuming that "final smashes", or something analogous, exist in this title.

Indeed. I call them "Grand Finales", generally showing the character at their most epic or triumphant. For example, "Itty Bitty Living Space" has Aladdin trap Genie Jafar and some hapless opponents in Jafar's lamp, followed by Genie sending the lamp flying away. "Diet Cola Mountain" has Ralph crash into the top of Diet Cola Mountain in a recreation of the "There's no one I'd rather be than me" scene. "Simba's Pride", is a bit meta; Simba, Nala, Kovu, Kiara, and Kion gather together for a mighty roar.

Villains get them too. Hades calls upon Stratos to sweep opponents up, then Pyros and Hydros trap them in cooled magma, and finally Lithos crushes them with his fist (Maybe this move could be called "Epiclash of the Titans"?). Ursula transforms into a giant and blasts opponents with the Trident. Jafar becomes Genie Jafar and uses his magic to trap opponents. Scar sends an opponent careening into a stampede of wildebeest. And so on.

As for Raps, I'm thinking her GF varies depending on whether or not she still has golden hair. If she does, her GF, What Once Was Mine, heals herself and her teammates in contact with her golden hair. Otherwise, her hair regrows and spikes erupt from the ground, in a nod to the TV series.

"Oh, bother!"

I definitely like that. Maybe one move where he's enjoying a pot of hunny, but accidentally spills it, causing his enemies to get stuck in place.

Exactly. I could also see his head getting stuck in a pot, and he accidentally headbutts opponents while trying to pull it off. One of his throws could have the opponent get stuck in the ground, causing Pooh to try to pull them out only to send them launching. For a recovery, he could use a balloon to float upward.

Ooh, that could work. "X-Men for XBox" is a great pun. It would certainly add variety to the different versions, although hopefully, you could fight other players regardless of their console of choice.

I would consider a cross-platform incentive where, if a player buys the game on more than one system and registers them to a central account, not only does it synch up their progress across all versions, it allows them to unlock the exclusive characters in each version as well. So you'd have to buy the Sony version to get Spider-Man, but you'd be able to play Spider-Man on other platforms. That would be pretty expensive though, so perhaps there could be DLC purchases for "off-platform" fighters from which the exclusive companies still get a cut of the profits?

Regardless, let's suppose we get 10 "Marvel" characters, regardless of version. Here are the ones I would pick [alts in brackets]:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Captain America (Steve Rogers) [Captain America (Sam Wilson)]
  2. Hulk (Bruce Banner) [She-Hulk (Jennifer Walters)]
  3. Iron Man (Tony Stark)
  4. Thor [Mighty Thor (Jane Foster)]
  5. Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
  6. Thanos
  7. Black Panther (T'Challa) [Black Panther (Shuri)]
  8. Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur
  9. Scarlet Witch
  10. Groot

Then, if I were to pick 10 from the "Star Wars" universe, let's go with the following [alts in brackets]:

Reveal hidden contents
  1. Luke Skywalker
  2. Darth Vader [Anakin Skywalker]
  3. Yoda
  4. Princess Leia
  5. BB-8 [BB-9E]
  6. Kylo Ren
  7. Jyn Erso
  8. Boba Fett [The Mandalorian]
  9. Ahsoka Tano
  10. Darth Maul

There - from a base of 30, we now have a stunning 70 playable characters. And that's before accounting for clones! Maybe that's too much, but if each group is its own "DLC" pack, then players can select just the franchises that interest them.

Reasonable selections. If I might offer a couple additions, it'd be cool if Clone Wars-era Obi Wan Kenobi could be included as an alt for Luke, along with Padme Amidala for Leia, to include the whole Clone Wars A-Team.

On 10/1/2024 at 12:05 AM, Lord_Brand said:

So you'd have to buy the Sony version to get Spider-Man, but you'd be able to play Spider-Man on other platforms.

That would be very consumer-friendly, and therefore, highly unlikely to happen.

Indeed. I call them "Grand Finales", generally showing the character at their most epic or triumphant. For example, "Itty Bitty Living Space" has Aladdin trap Genie Jafar and some hapless opponents in Jafar's lamp, followed by Genie sending the lamp flying away. "Diet Cola Mountain" has Ralph crash into the top of Diet Cola Mountain in a recreation of the "There's no one I'd rather be than me" scene. "Simba's Pride", is a bit meta; Simba, Nala, Kovu, Kiara, and Kion gather together for a mighty roar.

Great name, great ideas. In my opinion, it's a shame that the Final Smashes broadly became less intensive, and less theatrical, going into Ultimate. So a system that revives that spirit would be welcome in my book.

Reasonable selections. If I might offer a couple additions, it'd be cool if Clone Wars-era Obi Wan Kenobi could be included as an alt for Luke, along with Padme Amidala for Leia, to include the whole Clone Wars A-Team.

Originally, I considered the sequel-era versions of those characters as potential alts - same name, but different appearance. I'm not averse to Obi-Wan and Padme being alts, though. Each of them would have a connection to their base character - Obi-Wan as Luke's first teacher, and Padme as Leia's birth mother.

Generally speaking, I tried to strike a "balance" between the three production periods (OT, prequels, and Disney) in selecting characters and alts. Obi-Wan is a rare case of appearing in all three, so maybe I'd use his "solo series" incarnation? That'd technically be Disney-era rep, while also being closer to how Luke remembers him, but without sacrificing Ewan McGregor's beloved performance in the role.