Yacht Club Games Presentation

vanguard333

6 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Is it odd that I'm more looking forward to Mina the Hollower than to the next Shovel Knight game? 

No! That game looks awesome! Maybe a bit derivative of Zelda, esp the gameboy ones, but I'm not complaining about more of that yet! If there was some kind of rep system here I would totally rep you for this post.

Edited by Original Alear

11 minutes ago, Original Alear said:

No! That game looks awesome! Maybe a bit derivative of Zelda, esp the gameboy ones, but I'm not complaining about more of that yet! If there was some kind of rep system here I would totally rep you for this post.

From what I understand, Mina is supposed to be for top-down Gameboy games what Shovel Knight was for NES side-scrollers: a game that combines gameplay from a bunch of them, so that explains it being a 2D Zelda-like. And it's good to see a 2D Zelda-like, as Nintendo hasn't made a brand new 2D Zelda since Tri Force Heroes, and, currently, the only 2D Zelda-likes I know of that exist are the Blossom Tales games and Ocean's Heart.

Incidentally, I'm currently developing my own game that's a celebration of NES top-down games with its own twist, but it's currently in the early stages of development. So, that's probably another reason that I'm looking forward to Mina the Hollower.

it's crazy to think that Shovel Knight is ten years old. I played Plague Knight and Spectre Knight when they came out, but failed to keep up with everything since and that's a big backlog of stuff. Shovel Knight DX sounds really cool. Jumping online into someone else's game, both of you messing around with different characters. And I'd be interested to see what a Shovel Knight 2 looks like

23 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Incidentally, I'm currently developing my own game that's a celebration of NES top-down games with its own twist, but it's currently in the early stages of development. So, that's probably another reason that I'm looking forward to Mina the Hollower.

If you're gonna send a notification of the game's progress to ppl or do anything organized like that, include me in the list (please). I'm not likely to purchase it early access on steam but if I like the look of it I very well might buy it if you release it commercially, or d/l it if not.

Edited by Original Alear

3 hours ago, Original Alear said:

If you're gonna send a notification of the game's progress to ppl or do anything organized like that, include me in the list (please). I'm not likely to purchase it early access on steam but if I like the look of it I very well might buy it if you release it commercially, or d/l it if not.

Sure. This is my first time doing anything like this, so both the development and notifying people about it has been almost the opposite of organized so far, but I will let you know if I release either the game itself or a demo.

Going back to the presentation, Mina is a clever name for the protagonist of a game that takes inspiration from Castlevania (among other games), as Mina is the name of one of the main characters in the original Dracula novel. I've read the novel, and Mina and her husband Johnathan are my two favourite characters in the novel.

On 6/14/2024 at 5:43 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

it's crazy to think that Shovel Knight is ten years old. I played Plague Knight and Specter Knight when they came out, but failed to keep up with everything since and that's a big backlog of stuff. Shovel Knight DX sounds really cool. Jumping online into someone else's game, both of you messing around with different characters. And I'd be interested to see what a Shovel Knight 2 looks like

22 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I remember playing Shovel Knight back on the Wii U. It's crazy to think that that was ten whole years ago. I'm definitely looking forward to whatever comes next, Shovel Knight was good.

Interesting; my first time playing Shovel Knight was only a couple of years ago when I got Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove on the Switch. For me, it is hard to believe that it's already ten years old, as I didn't learn of its existence until a couple of years after it released and it then took quite a few more years for me to decide to play it. But, it is also easy for me to believe that it's already ten years old, as I first learned of it as something that had already existed for a while.