My quick thoughts on Genealogy of the Holy War

I just beat FE4 last night. It took me a few hours to beat the final chapter because of how scary some of the enemies are especially if consider that Julius can double attack with you meteor. And his skills consisted of wrath, pursuit, adept and accost is downright frightening. That said, I had a really good time playing this game. Kaga did such a masterful job at using the game mechanics as story telling devices and enhancing world building. It had plenty of pretty dark moments but a light at the end of the tunnel to it.

My rankings were E in tactics (I took a long time at establishing pairs I wanted to use and didn’t know fully that there were faster or more proficient methods at speeding up supports), B then two A’s which resulted in a overall B rank which I am fine with since this is my first time playing it. 

My pairings were aside from the set in stone ones were Lex x Ayra, Midir x Edain, Beowolf x Lachesis, Dew x Bridget, Lewyn x Erinys, Azelle x Tailtiu and Sylvia x Claude.

Most of the pairings were quite ridiculous and the rest were fine. There were some things I wished I could’ve done more research on in hindsight but honestly I’m just glad to have beaten the game and really appreciate how different this game was to the other FE games I’ve played.

If I were to ever revisit this game, I do want to try for a AAAA ranking. I’m just not sure which pairing would help me achieve this.

Posted (edited)

I definitely appreciate its ambition and tone far more than most other Fire Emblem games. It has a certain grandeur and feel that elevate its proceedings above the realm of the ordinary, even if they often suffer from flawed, patchy writing. It certainly helps that it has quite a few well realized scenes, including the infamous Battle of Bellhala that still inspires discussion to this very day. A shame its general grand concept was never picked up and improved upon.

Edited by Revier

Congrats on beating the game! It's one of my favorites in the series.

14 hours ago, Barren said:

My pairings were aside from the set in stone ones were Lex x Ayra, Midir x Edain, Beowolf x Lachesis, Dew x Bridget, Lewyn x Erinys, Azelle x Tailtiu and Sylvia x Claude.

Most of the pairings were quite ridiculous and the rest were fine.

Actually... most of these pairings are top-tier. Arguably the best husband for every possible mother. Did you research and plan for these pairings, or did they just turn out this way?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Actually... most of these pairings are top-tier. Arguably the best husband for every possible mother. Did you research and plan for these pairings, or did they just turn out this way?

They even managed to get Valkyrie passed down, something I've still never managed to accomplish (stupid virtual hoes not following my shipping instructions).

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Mostly research because I wanted to see how their support system would work in that game. And considering it’s a SNES game it doesn’t indicate if their support is growing or not it just does. Which is something I’m glad later games implemented better. The pairings themselves I just decided to go with what I liked.

One pairing I had to put the Kai botch on was Sylvia and Alec because I didn’t realize that they got that much support with each other because of one conversation. I guess their convo was the game hinting at you that hey there’s a conversation you can unlock. So I had to kill Alec on purpose then resurrected him in chapter 5 when she got with Claude.

Posted (edited)

Congratulation on beating Genealogy of the Holy War it was quite a game where it gets challenging most of the time on some chapters, but real nice that your having a lot of fun playing the game. When I first time played it I was wondering why this game feels a bit difficult but it takes a lot to get into understand the mechanics of the game since this game isn't much like the other FE games.

On 7/2/2024 at 7:31 AM, Barren said:

Beowolf x Lachesis

I have that same pairing when I play FE4, the others not so much but I wanted to pair Lewyn with Erinys but his lover is instead Sylvia

Edited by Zerius