Quick question for FE4 (GotHW)

Hi, I have a quick question about this game. If I let a weapon or staff go down to zero uses, does it break forever or can I repair it? I know I can always repair if it has at least one use left, but what if it goes down to zero?

A weapons with 0 uses remains in your inventory as Broken Sword, Broken Lance, etc. It is still repairable. You can store it if you want to free up inventory space. You can sell it at the Pawn Shop if you want another unit to have it.  You can even still swing it, but I don't recommend it. 

Of note, because of this mechanic where items become broken, you might find your weapon breaking during enemy phase. In which case your character will continue to swing the broken weapon which has horrible accuracy and tanks your avoid. In other games it can be a fun strategy to purposefully break a weapon in the middle of enemy phase to transition to another weapon more effective, but not in Genealogy. Thraica 776 also has broken weapons working like this, even though it doesn't have the blacksmith (though it does have a somewhat generous Hammerne equivalent).

16 hours ago, Jotari said:

Of note, because of this mechanic where items become broken, you might find your weapon breaking during enemy phase. In which case your character will continue to swing the broken weapon which has horrible accuracy and tanks your avoid. In other games it can be a fun strategy to purposefully break a weapon in the middle of enemy phase to transition to another weapon more effective, but not in Genealogy. Thraica 776 also has broken weapons working like this, even though it doesn't have the blacksmith (though it does have a somewhat generous Hammerne equivalent).

Ok, good to know, thanks. 

On 7/9/2024 at 10:35 PM, Jotari said:

Thraica 776 also has broken weapons working like this, even though it doesn't have the blacksmith (though it does have a somewhat generous Hammerne equivalent).

The Chad Archanean Hammerne Staff (13 uses, can repair Forges) vs. the Virgin Jugdrali Repair Staff (only 5 uses, literally a weaker version of a mechanic that already existed).

Just kidding, every Hammerne Staff is great. But not quite as great as the FE4 Blacksmith. Best unit in the game right there, even ahead of Sigurd.

On 7/8/2024 at 2:12 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

A weapons with 0 uses remains in your inventory as Broken Sword, Broken Lance, etc. It is still repairable. You can store it if you want to free up inventory space. You can sell it at the Pawn Shop if you want another unit to have it.  You can even still swing it, but I don't recommend it. 

While this applies to all weapons, Tomes work differently. Once exhausted, they become "empty books", and turn completely unusable.

One more note - while Broken Weapons (and Empty Books) sell for 0 Gold, they cost 1000 Gold. So most of the time, when you're trying to transfer a Weapon (or Tome) over, it's best to get it into low uses without breaking it. Like, a 10-use Steel Sword will cost 600 Gold, plus an additional 2400 to fully repair (3000 total). Whereas, a Broken Steel Sword will cost 1000 Gold, plus an additional 3000 to fully repair (4000 total).

2 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

The Chad Archanean Hammerne Staff (13 uses, can repair Forges) vs. the Virgin Jugdrali Repair Staff (only 5 uses, literally a weaker version of a mechanic that already existed).

I'd take 5 uses over 13 when I get it in Chapter 2(x) versus the practical endgame of Shadow Dragon.

Edited by Jotari