Every left handed player complained about super mario galaxy on 3d all stars not supporting left handed mode

You always had to use the right joycon for the star cursor and there was no option to use the left joycon vertically. The left joycon could only be used for ray surfing and star ball by activating Co-op mode and setting the left Joycon as P1.

What if for Galaxy 2, Nintendo allowed left Joycon mode by reversing the controls on the Joycons to mimic the Nunchuk being on your right hand and Wii Remote on your left hand?

Right or down direction buttons: Jump

Up or left direction buttons: Spin

Left stick: Controls camera

Right stick: Move Mario

L button: Activate star cursor, use left joycon to point

R button: Centre camera

ZL button: Fire star bits

ZR: Crouch. Ground Pound

would this feel more weird?

It's not just Mario Galaxy; with the exception of Nintendo Switch Sports, not a single motion-control game offered the use of the left joy-con's gyro instead of the right joy-con's gyro. Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 3 Remastered, and many more were guilty of this.

I suppose that control scheme might help, but a much more simple and effective solution would just be to enable remapping the right joy-con's motion controls to the left joy-con's gyro. The Nintendo Switch already has system-wide button remapping, but there's nothing for remapping the motion controls to the preferred joy-con.

3 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

It's not just Mario Galaxy; with the exception of Nintendo Switch Sports, not a single motion-control game offered the use of the left joy-con's gyro instead of the right joy-con's gyro. Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Prime Remastered, Pikmin 3 Remastered, and many more were guilty of this.

I suppose that control scheme might help, but a much more simple and effective solution would just be to enable remapping the right joy-con's motion controls to the left joy-con's gyro. The Nintendo Switch already has system-wide button remapping, but there's nothing for remapping the motion controls to the preferred joy-con.

The control scheme i made was to replicate the nunchuk being held in your right hand and the wii remote being held in your left hand, not because i think it’s a good scheme.

they could just allow you to use the left joycon instead of the right, but they probably figured that wouldn’t replicate the way it was done on wii because your left hand is still moving the character while on wii, your right hand would’ve held the nunchuk and would’ve therefore would’ve used the analog stick to move the character

It really is baffling that there's so little consideration in this area. Sure, left handed people are the minority, but it's not that rare. They're alienating about 10% of their market base despite mirroring controls being a relatively simple and easy thing to do mechanically. My worst experience with it was a 3DS rail shooter called Liberation Maiden which you're expected to play with the stylus in your right hand and holding the 3DS with your left hand where you can press the L shoulder button. Trying to do the inverse, holding the stylus in your left hand and the 3DS in your right is basically impossible as the right shoulder button just doesn't do anything at all. I had to awkwardly hold the left hand side of my 3DS with my right hand to comfortably play it (it was not comfortable). I even emailed Level 5 asking why there were no left handed controls when it would be as simple as just letting the buttons that do nothing have the same function as the buttons on the opposite side of the device. I was basically brushed off with a corporate email saying they had no plans to implemented left handed support.

I hate to be That Guy, but how widespread is this issue? The only Switch games I can think of that employ the pointer controls are ports of Wii/Wii U games that I know wouldn't play as well as they did back then. Switch shooters like Splatoon employ Gyro tilt aiming which cares not for the user's right or left handedness (and feels better than pointer aiming to begin with so they should just stick with that for future games and ports). Honestly a port of Super Mario Galaxy could have just mapped the Pointer reticle to the right analog stick (no such thing existed back on original hardware, so it wasn't considered back then). Part of Accessibility is, you know, making up alternative methods of play rather than picking one style and telling 100% of players to deal with it. But hey this is Nintendo, the guys who wouldn't put D-Pad support in Link's Freaking Awakening or Pokemon: Let's Go Buy Another Game Console, Pikachu and Eevee

And while I'm not left handed, I have a healthy bit of experience playing Wii rail shooters with my left hand. Because I was dual wielding wiimotes to double up my firepower. It was probably awkward at first, but practice is a proven method for training your non-preferred hand to do things.

All I'll say is, offering a left-handed mode in games where handedness matters (i.e. via motion controls or a stylus) seems pretty obvious to me. Don't think it would be that difficult - even something as simple as swapping the right joy-con's functions to the left, and vice versa. When we're paying upwards of $100 for these funky plastic half-ovals, they ought to be usable in more dynamic fashions.

They absolutely need to have some kind of option for left-handed people. I cannot tell you how many motion-control games I can't enjoy nearly as much as I want to because I physically am not able to do what they want. Any game that doesn't have those kind of options is objectively worse for it.