Number of Units

Robert

For mystery-

is training 4 social knights for a final party smart? I dont see any other units to train.

Roshi, Hardain, Abel, and Cain.

Three heros as well?

Raddy, Oguma, and Nabarl.

For thracia-

There are so many sword fighters! I am using Machua, Mareeta, and maybe Shiva.

Are there any better units to train or use instead? Tina, Salem, and others?

For mystery-

is training 4 social knights for a final party smart? I dont see any other units to train.

Three heros as well?

For thracia-

Train your Staff users. They will be the most usefull.

Othin, Carrion, Fergus, Finn are also good.

For mystery-

Three heros as well?

For thracia-

All four Cavaliers are excellent choices and should be used.

I don't recommend using Raddy. He's only slightly stronger than Oguma and Navarre end-game, but he's pretty mediocre until then.

Use Felgus, Carrion, and Hicks. Trewd has nice stats, and anyone that can heal is very useful. For other fighters, Othin, Halvan, and Rifis all are excellent characters.

Train Dashin, too. Until chapter 14 few physical attacks will hurt him badly.

If you get him, you should also train Asvel, a lot. The guy is the best magic user in the game.

Three heros as well?

There isn't any reason why you couldn't use all four Social Knights, although I think you'll have to buy an extra Knight's Crest if you want to promote all of them. Raddy is a redundant character. He has high growth, but his bases are less than good for his join time. Oguma and Navarre will easily fulfill all of your Hero needs.

For thracia-

Definitely use Shiva. He's the best Swordmaster in the game, IMO. Tina is a pretty good character as well. She has two personal staves that are pretty handy. Salem is a pretty decent character as well. He can use all types of magic except light and staves right out of the box. Dark magic kills his speed, so it would be a good idea to have him use a different type.

Edited by Gustave

I don't recommend using Raddy. He's only slightly stronger than Oguma and Navarre end-game, but he's pretty mediocre until then.

good reasoning, however from the past three levels, he has gained 5 stats each!

Thats basically perfect! (res only has 3 growth for each character?!)

res only has 3 growth for each character?!

That's right. At least it's better than the first two, where everyone was completely lacking resistance growth.

I wouldn't suggest using so many Cavs in FE3. Cain, Abel, and Hardin get the job done well enough, and Roshe isn't worth training. For heroes, Oguma and Navarre are all you need. Raddy has good growths, but it takes a long time to catch him up to your other Mercs.

For FE5, almost all of the Swordfighters are worth using. Machua is unique, because she promotes into a Mercenary, and that helps her edge out Shiva and Trewd, imo. Mareeta is a goddess, use her and enjoy the easy wins. Fin is a great unit to keep around for most of the game, because he will stay above your other units for most of the game. All of the staff users are worth using, and keeping a thief around is a great idea. Salem isn't worth using without scroll abuse. Carrion is an amazing unit, but remember to get his Elite Sword from Selphina. Othin is a solid axe user, he is like Oguma with axes. His Pugi axe is an amazing weapon, which makes him even better. Use Asvel and Homeros, too.