Ocarina

Destiny Hero

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zeldaocarina.jpg

Mine's like that, except a bit less ugly, and the Triforce is much more yellow and doesn't look as bad.

It's... shiny... :mellow:

But it still doesn't look all that different from every other ocarina photo that's been posted here.

FOR CHRIST SAKE, IT'S THE SAME AS THE "OBESE" ONE, BUT IT'S JUST SHINY!!

You've just critisized the others because you thing your ocarina is better.

FOR CHRIST SAKE, IT'S THE SAME AS THE "OBESE" ONE, BUT IT'S JUST SHINY!!

You've just critisized the others because you thing your ocarina is better.

No, it doesn't look the same as the others. It doesn't have an awkward shape like the other ones, and it isn't as fat as one Sweet Potato one, and as for the other, this one doesn't have a long, straight stick as the mouthpiece.

zeldaocarina.jpg

Mine's like that, except a bit less ugly, and the Triforce is much more yellow and doesn't look as bad.

Yours is a 4 hole ocarina? well anyway, yeah that ocarina is the one I wouldn't buy, I think it might be too little, although I'd really like a Zelda replica, the one I really liked is very expensive I think 95 bucks or something like that

Ocarinaoftime.jpg

Yours is a 4 hole ocarina? well anyway, yeah that ocarina is the one I wouldn't buy, I think it might be too little, although I'd really like a Zelda replica, the one I really liked is very expensive I think 95 bucks or something like that

Ocarinaoftime.jpg

4 is fine. I have a blast with mine. I've got the Song of Time down, but I sometimes mess up the Serenade of Water.

4 is fine. I have a blast with mine. I've got the Song of Time down, but I sometimes mess up the Serenade of Water.

Yeah I like Serenade of Water too. It would be cool to play it on a Ocarine.

Have you figured out how to play Zelda's Lullaby with four holes?

Seriously, though, they may look ungainly, but I'd take the three octave ocarina over any of the others any day. Not because it looks good, but because it has such a wide range (and composers like to work with instruments that have wide ranges. :) )

• 2 weeks later...
Have you figured out how to play Zelda's Lullaby with four holes?

Seriously, though, they may look ungainly, but I'd take the three octave ocarina over any of the others any day. Not because it looks good, but because it has such a wide range (and composers like to work with instruments that have wide ranges. :) )

Actually, the 4-hole ocarina can make 26 different notes.

Oh, bump.

Actually, the 4-hole ocarina can make 26 different notes.

Oh, bump.

Oh, can it? Hm...

That's approximately three octaves and two extra notes, if my calculations are correct. Unless you're counting quarter tones as well?

Oh, can it? Hm...

That's approximately three octaves and two extra notes, if my calculations are correct. Unless you're counting quarter tones as well?

English, por favor.

There are 4 different sized holes, and you can cover up any amount of them, including all or none, then you can have the bottom hole open or closed. I worked out the math a couple nights ago when I was really bored.

English, por favor.

There are 4 different sized holes, and you can cover up any amount of them, including all or none, then you can have the bottom hole open or closed. I worked out the math a couple nights ago when I was really bored.

octave is the series of notes that consists of a scale. as the name suggests, there are 8 notes in an octave, and for every eight notes the frequency doubles or halves, depending on which direction you go.

but then there are the flat/sharp notes, which is what Edgard is talking about, i believe. i wouldn't know anything about ocarinas, can they play sharp and flat notes?

octave is the series of notes that consists of a scale. as the name suggests, there are 8 notes in an octave, and for every eight notes the frequency doubles or halves, depending on which direction you go.

but then there are the flat/sharp notes, which is what Edgard is talking about, i believe. i wouldn't know anything about ocarinas, can they play sharp and flat notes?

Those words just went into my head and flew right out the other side.

i looked up stuff, and realized that i was wrong in what quarter tones were.

ho-hum! i need to catch up to the musical stuffs! XD

Music vocab:

High

Low

Hole

Cover it

Open it

Octave, and those other things, just people trying to make music sound complicated.

I would recommend anyone with or without a background in music to pick up the ocarina after seeing this guy play:

-

-

And both are, believe it or not, pretty complex songs to play! It's pretty amazing that you can play all those notes with a small instrument like the ocarina.

p.s.

Violins rock.

Edited by nacho

i looked up stuff, and realized that i was wrong in what quarter tones were.

ho-hum! i need to catch up to the musical stuffs! XD

I wouldn't expect too many people to know what a quarter tone is, though, as it's really a very recent development in music and it appears in all manner of pieces that are hardly performed since they're very, very, very difficult to put together and since their hard work rarely ever goes appreciated by the audience that listens to it since it tends to sound very strange. But they're cool, since they add a kind of edge to the pieces that use them incredibly well.

Music vocab:

High

Low

Hole

Cover it

Open it

Octave, and those other things, just people trying to make music sound complicated.

Well, those kinds of terms are used by professional musicians all the time. I'm not going to be too harsh on you since this isn't a standard orchestral instrument we're talking about here (and also the fact that you're doing it just for the hell of it), but if this was any other instrument I'd wring your ****ing neck wonder why you were still doing it.

I wouldn't expect too many people to know what a quarter tone is, though, as it's really a very recent development in music and it appears in all manner of pieces that are hardly performed since they're very, very, very difficult to put together and since their hard work rarely ever goes appreciated by the audience that listens to it since it tends to sound very strange. But they're cool, since they add a kind of edge to the pieces that use them incredibly well.

Well, those kinds of terms are used by professional musicians all the time. I'm not going to be too harsh on you since this isn't a standard orchestral instrument we're talking about here (and also the fact that you're doing it just for the hell of it), but if this was any other instrument I'd wring your ****ing neck wonder why you were still doing it.

Oi! that makes me interested in them even more!

i'll definitely look into some songs that use quarter tones. do you have any good suggestions?

Oi! that makes me interested in them even more!

i'll definitely look into some songs that use quarter tones. do you have any good suggestions?

Oh, dear. This is gonna be pretty tricky, because you kind of have to work your way up to quarter tones if you want to like it a whole lot, since this kind of music is the kind of thing you really need to acquire a taste for.

If you feel like jumping into it, though, a good place to start would probably be the 3 Quarter-Tone Pieces by an American composer by the name of Charles Ives that's for two pianos, one of them tuned a quarter-tone sharp.

. Keep in mind this is the most accessible this gets.

i've heard a bit of both Largo and Allegro, and i must say that was simply awesome! i love the way the pianos sound together. it sounds wrong, but awesome, at the same time. it sounds so unique! gah! can't describe it. kinda has like this slightly strange feel to it, which i love.

especially allegro.

I understand why most people wouldn't enjoy it though. way to far from the ordinary to please most people.

now if only my computer wasn't so dratted slow. i'm waiting for chorale to download now.

:)

i've heard a bit of both Largo and Allegro, and i must say that was simply awesome! i love the way the pianos sound together. it sounds wrong, but awesome, at the same time. it sounds so unique! gah! can't describe it. kinda has like this slightly strange feel to it, which i love.

especially allegro.

I understand why most people wouldn't enjoy it though. way to far from the ordinary to please most people.

now if only my computer wasn't so dratted slow. i'm waiting for chorale to download now.

:)

Yeah, when composers use quarter tones well the results are often really amazingly well-done.

And yeah, most people wouldnt enjoy it, considering what some other people use them for...

woah!

that was SO out of the ordinary! no wonder most people don't talk about quarter tones that much...

:o

it's still pretty cool though. quarter tones shouldn't be as overlooked as they are, methinks.