Final Fantasy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloud is one of the most unappealing main characters ever, and the rest of the characters weren't very interesting either. Vincent and Cid were fairly interesting, I guess. The thing that I liked most about the game was the atmosphere of Midgar. Too bad that doesn't last very long.

Overall, a decent game, but there are much better.

The Hero from the first Dragon Quest was infinitely better than Cloud could ever be.

I've been meaning to play the Chinese pirate version of the game. I'm always a fan of things like that--and it's actually a somewhat complete rendition of the game too. For those afraid of Chinese characters, there's an actual translation project going on for the thing. As for the actual one... I've been meaning to get around to playing the game again, but it's really not a priority.

I started playing FF7 recently to see what all the fuss was about and so far I'm not all that impressed. And seeing how it's so long it's probably gonna get worse and worse by the time I beat it. It's decent so far but really I thought both X and XII were better when I played them.

While FF7 is not a bad game, it definitely isn't the best. The graphics are unforgivably bad, the sound quality is absolute shit, and the game is really slow. The story and its other little gimmicks make up for its atrocities, however.

In my opinion (besides the voice acting) FFX is the best in the series. Great graphics, an amazing storyline, some controversial themes (change vs. tradition, young vs. old, sad loop of fate, etc). A fun battle system which is far better presented than the rest in the series... I could go on about how cool the game is is, but w/e. The rendered cutscenes are beautiful, as well.

I just feel that FF7 is a hit-or-miss game. It missed me.

I think it was one of the best and had the best developed story (ignoring the train wrecks that are the spinoffs).

This was also after playing FF4-6 so it wasn't even the first I'd played. I had even avoided it because of the hype machine at the time, and only gave it time because I liked 4 to 6. I actually found Cloud pretty human and likeable. Most characters done in the same vein are irritating because they are incredibly superficial.

Also, the real villain is Jenova, not that white haired puppet. The comments by the producers about 'Sephiroth's will' are pandering to fanboys.

I liked it a lot when I played it, but that was 8 years ago. I tried to replay it later, but the game hasn't aged very well. The 3D graphics suffered the most. I think it would have looked better had they used 2D sprites in combination with the pre-rendered backgrounds. Gameplay was still good, but as I grew older the story made me go "lol, wut?" more and more. The game doesn't really know what it wants to do. This leads to it wanting to do everything and failing. For instance, you start with the dystopian Midgar and when you leave you learn almost every other place on the planet is some backwater town. Or the Golden Saucer. Uhm, yeah... Sometimes I don't know if the game wants me to take things seriously or not.

I'm pretty sure he does, and I'm pretty sure when I first played it (back when it was released) I laughed at the poor quality of the graphics. They were bad even for back then.

Anyway, FF7 is a decent game, just not the greatest thing evar. I'm not sure which FF I like the best, either, but FFX is definitely a good game. Too bad Tidus is a horrible character. :(

I don't even know why Squaresoft/Square-Enix has an affinity for heroes that are douchebags (Cloud, Squall, Tidus, the Unholy Trinity of Douchebags). Well, some heroes were good (Terra, Cecil) but some others are pretty bad (which seems to be a..."trend" that started with the 3D games).

Yeah really, Shining Force 3 (which is on a system that people hated on for having the worst graphics (the Sega Saturn)) has about the same graphics as FF7.

Shining Force 3 is also better than FF7.

Final Fantasy VII was steps ahead of other games in terms of presentation. Nobody really complained about the graphics back then, because Final Fantasy VII looked like most high budget games. Sure, people made fun of the LEGO models used in towns and the overworld, but everyone pretty much agreed that the FMV's, pre-rendered backgrounds and battles sequences were some of the best of the year.

I don't even know why Squaresoft/Square-Enix has an affinity for heroes that are douchebags (Cloud, Squall, Tidus, the Unholy Trinity of Douchebags). Well, some heroes were good (Terra, Cecil) but some others are pretty bad (which seems to be a..."trend" that started with the 3D games).

You're forgetting fpur games with heroes that saved the world just because they could. Well, I guess the people from II and V had some personal motivations, but I and III? Oh and XI, since it's a MMORPG.

You do know it came out on the PS1?

There are so many things wrong with this statement it's not even funny. Taking limitations into account, it turns into pure laziness as to the quality of everything wrong in the game. IF the common joe can go in under the original constrictions and fix, make better, and improve the fucked up models, place voice acting in the cutscenes, and improve the stocky plot, then it's not an issue of the time or of the console. It's an issue of the developer. Now, you could argue that Square was feeling out the techonology--though, it is more likely that the shit on their boot looked great to them at the time.

Given though, what the game did right overshadowed and and eclipsed what the game did wrong, which is why so many didn't seem to notice until later. Not even as later as the next year, in some cases, if memory serves.

I'm pretty sure he does, and I'm pretty sure when I first played it (back when it was released) I laughed at the poor quality of the graphics. They were bad even for back then.

Anyway, FF7 is a decent game, just not the greatest thing evar. I'm not sure which FF I like the best, either, but FFX is definitely a good game. Too bad Tidus is a horrible character. :(

Hey at least Zidane dodged that bullet. Hes awesome

A question to people saying Cloud being whiny or a 'douchebag': What about him, or what does he do to earn the title?

Also, Terra was incredibly bland for a main character, but I would say FFVI didn't have a main character as such so that is fine too.

Edited by Posaydal

A question to people saying Cloud being whiny or a 'douchebag': What about him, or what does he do to earn the title?

For starters, Cloud spends the majority of the game claiming the actions of his dead friend as his own. That's enough to make anyone a useless twit in my book.

The worst part about Cloud is that he never really redeems himself. He's still a whiny bitch at the end. At least Squall fell in love and became an un-douchebag. Tidus was annoying, but in a different way. Most of it was to do with his annoying voice actor, though.

Edited by Lachesis

The best FF is FF8!

genius...anyway, well...FF7 is good and all, yeah I get seriously pissed at square for forcibly removing a fairly decent character -I'm really biased though because I always favor decent magic users-; it's just...sometimes really boring and long...a long game is good and all but I really hate doing everything in FF7...I just give up in most cases in doing everything for this FF; FF8, 9 and 10 are much more...likely to get more of my attention because in 7 it feels like they through in every little extra task and minigame they could to make the game more interesting and aside from -in my opinion- getting the final limits and fighting the weapons the sidequests aren't as fun to do...I personally feel a bit more involved in the story when I do the side events in the later games -which I think square figured out how to incorporate more of the story into its sub events after 7-; I get just a great deal more insight into the games characters and that makes me like the game more -another major reason I always loved the Shadow Hearts trilogy, kickass side-events, but I digress- the game does offer a fair deal of character customization with Materia but...I like the later concepts fairly better -also it is simply much easier to customize characters in 8 for example because it is easier to find all the magic types for the most part-; one thing I will say I like about FF7 is that I do like that Materia does evolve and divide...so, it's pretty easy by simply dedicating some more time to really get some powerful setups but...other FF games are a little more forgiving to a casual gamer...I think FF7 is good and all, but unless it got a true re-release -with upgraded graphics and more in-depth, character coinciding subevents- I probably won't feel like playing through it a fourth time

FF VI, IMO, the best ever created.

1. Kefka is a fucking genius. He poisoned an entire kingdom, killed anyone who got in his way, nearly killed Edward, and basically became God for two years(something Sephiroth couldn't manage, even with multiple shots at life due to Cloud being fucked up. :P

2. Dancing Mad. Probably one of Uematsu's greatest works.( one of, don't take this out of distortion.) If you haven't heard it already, here's the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MRGt_PvyT8...feature=related

3. Best story, IMO, although this point is more debatable. Trust me, I'm not looking for a debate. I just finished reading an argument in the RD section about Volug being overrated. To say the least, why can't we all just get along?

(yeah I understand that debates are formal methods of interacting with one another and expressing blah blah blah. I did Model UN in high school, don't want to go through it again.

Final Fantasy IV and VI were my favorite games for a very long time. I still like them, but they got pretty old after the first 15 times. :P I was considering getting Final Fantasy IV for the DS, but I'm not sure if it's worth it for someone like me to buy the game yet again.