New Math

Donatello

If people thought I was being sarcastic when I posted this topic, I wasn't. [sARCASM] Really, I have nothing else to do rather than troll on a internet forum and make up false tier lists on FE6.

Kintenbo, I'm looking at you

Just joking, I found this video pretty funny.

well..I learned new math apparently but no one ever used the term "re-grouping" when I went to school...so maybe it was the old math?? -dunno- *the whole base 8 thing was pretty funny at the end lol*

Edited by Shantotto

heh lol. Quite a funny and completely cumbersome and counter-intutive way to do math. I like the old math way.

The base 8 thing was funny, i could do that easily enough but without the complex crazy method the person used.

Thinking of that, it reminds me of the time i decided to take 1337 (yes lol) and convert it to a bunch of different base systems....

Binary = 1010011100
Ternary = 1211112
Quaternary = 110321
Quinary = 20322
Senary = 10105
Septenary = 3620
Octal = 2471
Nonary = 1745
Decimal = 1337 (duh we already know this.)
Undecimal = 1006
Duodecimal = 935
Hexadecimal (base 16) = 549
Vigesimal (base 20) = 36H
Septemvigesimal (base 27) = 1MD
Duotrigesimal (base 32) = 19P

Ah yes, math. So very fun. :D

Math was my most hated subject in middle and high school. Funny, it wasn't until I got into the higher math courses that I actually started to like math. Now, I want to become a pharmacologist or nurse practitioner. Maybe, all of my elementary and middle school teachers were just inferior to my Precalculus teacher. She was the first one to truly convince me that math isn't as hard as it always seems.

To SmartRutter7:

Really, 1337, of all things?

jk

Edited by Donatello

This is really the same as the previous method. You're still carrying ones from the tens and hundreds digits, you're just approaching from a different angle.

The new method is better. It allows you to better visualize what you're doing, thus making it easier to said problems in the head. It just seems confusing because the song goes through the method rather quickly.

Math was my most hated subject in middle and high school. Funny, it wasn't until I got into the higher math courses that I actually started to like math. Now, I want to become a pharmacologist or nurse practitioner. Maybe, all of my elementary and middle school teachers were just inferior to my Precalculus teacher. She was the first one to truly convince me that math isn't as hard as it always seems.

To SmartRutter7:

Really, 1337, of all things?

jk

Yeah lol. I was bored when i did it. :P

This is really the same as the previous method. You're still carrying ones from the tens and hundreds digits, you're just approaching from a different angle.

The new method is better. It allows you to better visualize what you're doing, thus making it easier to said problems in the head. It just seems confusing because the song goes through the method rather quickly.

i got an even easier method. Use a calculator. :D

Either way, i prefer the old method. It's simple enough and works. I myself can also do those in my head with the old method pretty easily.

Yeah lol. I was bored when i did it

Well, that's more original than calculating how many grains of rice the inventor of chess got.

I was a very boring English class, okay?

BTW I usually do simple things such as 342-173 = ? like 27 + 142 = 169 in my head.

Edited by Tamara

Well, that's more original than calculating how many grains of rice the inventor of chess got.

I was a very boring English class, okay?

BTW I usually do simple things such as 342-173 = ? like 27 + 142 = 169 in my head.

I think I should change this topic to " Useless things you think about while sitting in a boring classroom."