Castlevania

Tingle

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore DoS, it has practically no bearing on the story and has no replay value.

PoR suffers from the same plot fate as DoS, acting as just a spinoff of Bloodlines, but it's more fun and has far more replay value.

OoE is the best of the lot. Not only is it ridiculously fun, but it also holds bearing to the actual storyline (Namely, what ever happened to that seal Alucard placed on Daddy before going to sleep).

I'd say get PoR and OoE, but if you really, REALLY care about the game's dialogue, drop PoR. There's just way too much cheeziness/laziness in the script's writing.

But IMO, those modes in POR get boring pretty quick, and are only worth one playthrough. I'd say OOE has the best replay value. (I haven't played DOS though, so I wouldn't know about that.)

But IMO, those modes in POR get boring pretty quick, and are only worth one playthrough. I'd say OOE has the best replay value. (I haven't played DOS though, so I wouldn't know about that.)

DoS only is worth for a new Soul in Hard Mode.

Other than that, just some itens in Boss Rush, and that's all.

Not really. Julius mode is a great extra mode, better than the whole of PoR (that's taking the extra modes into account).

To be fair, AoS had more extras in Hard Mode.

...What? That wasn't my point. :/

EDIT: To say more on this matter...I meant that the hard mode and boss rush aren't the only good things about DoS. Julius mode is also a great bonus.

Edited by Nightmare

...What? That wasn't my point. :/

EDIT: To say more on this matter...I meant that the hard mode and boss rush aren't the only good things about DoS. Julius mode is also a great bonus.

Yes, I got your point, but Julius Mode is in AoS, though without Yoko and Alucard.

Aaaaaaaaand AoS had better Hard Mode Bonuses.

You confuse me...I'm talking about the DoS Julius Mode, the one where you can get Yoko and Alucard and the final boss is

Somacula

. >_>

I know. But the "Julius" Mode in DoS is inferior to AoS Julius Mode, IMO.

DoS is inferior to AoS overall, there were some interesting aspects, such as use Lightning the Spotlight so Mothman can appear, using Skeleton Waiter's soul so the Yeti can appear, etc.

Yes, DoS is inferior to AoS and Julius himself is actually inferior to AoS Julius, but the mode itself is better because of the variety you get with the three characters (all of whom play more or less differently than Soma) and also, the final boss. That's just my opinion though.

Also, please please please make your point(s) clearer in your posts. 99% of the time I do NOT understand what you're talking about. >_>

Yes, DoS is inferior to AoS and Julius himself is actually inferior to AoS Julius, but the mode itself is better because of the variety you get with the three characters (all of whom play more or less differently than Soma) and also, the final boss. That's just my opinion though.

Also, please please please make your point(s) clearer in your posts. 99% of the time I do NOT understand what you're talking about. >_>

Ok, I'll try to be clearer.

DoS JulYoCard Mode adds some novelty to the game, with you being control of 3 characters at the same time, but I dunno, it got quite boring after some time. It's worth for the novelty, and I wanted Hammer to be in it :(

Better now?

Much better. :D

I understand your concern about Hammer. I wanted him playable too. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, he was apparently going to be playable but for some reason they ditched that idea.

Edited by Nightmare

Much better. :D

I understand your concern about Hammer. I wanted him playable too. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, he was apparently going to be playable but for some reason they ditched that idea.

Thank you :lol:

Bolded:What? Where you read that?

http://www.castlevania.classicgaming.games...s/dosweird.html

According to Bmecoli's script dump on GameFAQs, there is a hidden dialogue between Julius and Hammer that seems to hit that Hammer was meant to be playable. Too bad, he would've been kinda cool. The dialogue goes like this:

Julius : You. Why are you here?

Hammer: Why? I'm here for Soma! My man's in trouble, I tell ya!

Julius: But it's of no concern to you.

Hammer: Heck yeah, it is! Soma's my pal, after all. Laying his life on the line for a pal... That's what a man does.

Julius : Wrong. An ordinary human is no match for a foe like this. Being a man has nothing to do with it.

Hammer: Hey, bud, I served in the military! I know weapons a whole lot better than you! And I'd like to think I've got enough sense to retreat if it gets too crazy.

Julius : Fine, then. But if you ever fear for your life, get out immediately, understood?

Hammer: Loud and clear. You have my word.

Not just those, man. He would use a ton of military weapons. How cool would it be to tear zombies apart with, for example, an M-16?! Or for an item crash, maybe he would use a particle beam weapon!

He would use everything, he would be a bald Rambo.

The thing I didn't like about Julius mode in DoS is that it uses a Normal Level up system instead of the one from AoS. Accidental power leveling (yes, accidental) is a very real possibility, so that only makes it harder to control the difficulty of the game as opposed to being able to kill whatever you please and not accidentally becoming too high of a level because of it.