Have you ever wondered...

Liz

if the game creators are actually good at playing their games?

after all, just because they make the games doesn't mean they are automatically great though it does help

OMB, I always think about that! :o

Especially when playing difficult/confusing games. Like God Hand (just difficult, not the least bit confusing). And some others.

I dunno, I don't think a whole lot of them are good at their own games. It just depends on what kind of person they are, I guess (i.e. if they have quick reflexes and/or experience and whatnot). Or if they spent enough time with their games to know their way around it. blah blah blah etc.

I don't see game creators winning tourneys ie Smash, SF and other competitive games
David Sirlin was the one that made the balance changes to HD Remix to compress the tiers. Guess what he was doing before that?

As for game developers in general, playtesters exist for a reason.

Edited by FE3 Player

Ever watch a ROMhacker demo their own hacks? You'll have the gist of what it's like.

lolyah.

I watched the creator of Super Metroid Redesign play it. (He started commentating, and at some points played, in the Super Metroid Redesign let's play) And he said he went to a thing (I forget what) and one of the designers of some Metroid games told him that if it's easy for you then you should make it 1000 times easier because it'd be much harder for someone else.

Anyways, puzzle games would probably be extremely easy for game designers because they'd already know all the solutions.

I don't know about commercial games, but people like ROMhackers who have to playtest their own games are usually pretty good at them. Pretty much has to do with how much time the developers spend testing themselves, instead of getting other people to do it for them. :P