Final Fantasy X

HowAreYaBud

Quite obviously, all a player really has to do is watch some battles to see the large gap between shit and shiny shit. But that's not enough to keep me interested in it D:
FFX has better gameplay than FFVIII. I never said anything about graphics.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

too much romantic for me on FFX side but I guess that's what it was all about, the other ones didn't much romantic stuff like final fanasty X. tidus's weapon is by far the hardest to get at full strength next to Lulu and Kimahri was just annoying to get

Romance in FFX is pretty tacked on. FF8 had a stronger focus on romance while FF6 did everything right concerning the subject of romance.

And the Celestrial Weapons are indeed a pain to get, but the weapons themselves are extremely good. Ignoring defense without taking up a customization slot? Holy cow. Skill setups that emphasize character strengths? Definite plus.

well I also liked FFXII just because you don't have to use a specific weapon for a specific character, you can switch their weapons to any kind that's in the game. It makes you have much more of a variety of parties

Abilities diversify parties far more than weapons ever have. As far as I played of vanilla FFXII (don't have the international version which has a job system), most characters are able to use the same abilities early on.

Edited by Chainey

FFXII can get horribly generic unless you force a class on you, or use the International Version :(

FFX has better gameplay than FFVIII. I never said anything about graphics.
Nor did I. I thought I made it quite clear the battles were fixed enough from VIII to X >.> FFX isn't the best, and as such, it's shiny shit (in my humble, yet untested, opinion :X).

I still liked FFXII better just because its gameplay style besides the auto move set, it was much like .hack so I enjoyed it a lot and just like FFX in order to get the other weapons you have to get a hell of a lot stronger as well as being able to defeat all the hunts

I kind of gave up on FFX when I got XII. I just wrapped up the game without completing everything so I could start on the new one. What is needed to get the ultimate weapons in X is lame. I don't care how many times I raced, my damn chocobo will never score a 00:00:00, nor was I getting any awesome blitzball rewards... and don't get me started on counting lightning strikes.

As for the person who wanted to play XI, it's fun, but it gets too repetitious. It is best to try the trial first before committing to paying for the game. It is seriously a bunch of grinding and farming, with a bit of fun in between.

Edited by Bohemund

I kind of gave up on FFX when I got XII. I just rapped up the game without completing everything so I could start on the new one. What is needed to get the ultimate weapons in X is lame. I don't care how many times I raced, my damn chocobo will never score a 00:00:00, nor was I getting any awesome blitzball rewards... and don't get me started on counting lightning strikes.
You really, really don't need the Celestrial weapons to beat FFX. They're mostly useful for optional bosses, and even then there are alternative setups you can use in place.

FFX's insanely difficult mini-games are not what make FFX great. It's the battles, which are FUN and take some thought for a decent portion of the game until towards the end where it gets easy (which is a fault that is shared with many FF games, even FF1).

You really, really don't need the Celestrial weapons to beat FFX. They're mostly useful for optional bosses, and even then there are alternative setups you can use in place.

FFX's insanely difficult mini-games are not what make FFX great. It's the battles, which are FUN and take some thought for a decent portion of the game until towards the end where it gets easy (which is a fault that is shared with many FF games, even FF1).

Yea, I know they aren't needed, but usually when I play a FF I like to get a near 100% completion. The battles were the best part of the game, I loved being able to switch out my characters.

Out of the whole series, where I'd give it lower than a bottom four?

Yeah.

In a series where pretty much every FF game was called the best and the worst at one point, and the quality gap between them tends to be fairly small.

Yeah, FFX is an excellent game, and calling a game garbage without playing it is lame. I never played FFX-2, but I learned never to call it a garbage game because people say that its gameplay was actually rather amazing.

Edited by Chainey

In a series where pretty much every FF game was called the best and the worst at one point, and the quality gap between them tends to be fairly small.

To others, perhaps, but generally I've found a gauge of best-to-worst in the series from personal preference. In this tier, FFX is rather low. That's why people advertise opinions and for one reason or another, some take them as facts

To others, perhaps, but generally I've found a gauge of best-to-worst in the series from personal preference. In this tier, FFX is rather low. That's why people advertise opinions and for one reason or another, some take them as facts
Except I'm giving good reason as to why I believe FFX is a good game by examining a tangible factor of it that it does best.

And with a quality gap between FF games being small, even if FFX was bottom tier, it's a really good bottom tier, and really undeserving of bashing.

Personal preference =/= a game being bad. All personal preference means you don't like something.

Except I don't care. If I did, I would've brought facts to argue against you with. Why you care is whatever you feel; but don't expect me to care in likeliness.

Personal preference =/= a game being bad. All personal preference means you don't like something.

Exactly. Anyone with even the slightest gauge of common sense will know better than to expect personal opinion to define how enjoyable a game is, or anything, for that matter. To think of taking it to heart is even moreso.

Edited by Celice

Ugh...don't remind me of FF8...

FFX isn't a bad game, but it seems...bland in comparison to the others (sans 8 and a bit of 2). Only FF games I can easily call bad are FF3 and FF8. FFX is the vanilla ice cream of the series IMO.

FFXII though...I can easily summarize that game. Move around, sit and wait while battles play themselves, wait forever for bosses to die, repeat for beyond 80 hours...

Except I don't care. If I did, I would've brought facts to argue against you with. Why you care is whatever you feel; but don't expect me to care in likeliness.
People that don't care should have the common sense to not post at all. All you've shown is that you care quite a bit.
Exactly. Anyone with even the slightest gauge of common sense will know better than to expect personal opinion to define how enjoyable a game is, or anything, for that matter. To think of taking it to heart is even moreso.
If you actually felt this way, then you wouldn't call it "shiny crap" without actually playing it.

See, I love FFIII, and it's one of the best in my opinion. 8-bit goodness, jobs, and a nice soundtrack. It just flows better for my tastes :/

People that don't care should have the common sense to not post at all. All you've shown is that you care quite a bit.
Actually, I've just answered back to your posts. I care enough to show that the way you feel doesn't really trounce mine.
If you actually felt this way, then you wouldn't call it "shiny crap" without actually playing it.

No. I would, actually. Because that's how I felt. You did read that part, right? But I suppose you'll just keep on trying... :(

Edited by Celice

See, I love FFIII, and it's one of the best in my opinion. 8-bit goodness, jobs, and a nice soundtrack. It just flows better for my tastes :/

I love the job system too, that's why I liked FE5 because all the jobs were usable and it didn't exactly force specific ones on you. I didn't find FFIII's soundtrack stellar either...Maybe it was because I played the DS version.

I never thought I'd play a final fantasy I didn't care to beat outside of FFXII...Why do all Ivalice FF games suffer the curse of being so awesomely fun until the last ones where you can't be bothered to finish them anymore? I love Ivalice...

Actually, I've just answered back to your posts. I care enough to show that the way you feel doesn't really trounce mine.
Should I go into more depth as to why I think FFX factually has better battles than FFVIII? I shouldn't have to go in-depth like this, but it looks like I do.

- FFVIII is about limit break spamming. Magic is nearly useless unless you're using them with Selphie's Limit Break or casting the occasional Cure Spell, which is easily obsoleted by items.

- FFVIII rarely has battles that call for interesting strategies, especially when all you need to do is limit break everything.

- Even if you abuse the game's junction system, all it does is make the above much faster. Even without it, battles still don't take much thought, they just take longer to complete.

- Characters start out pretty much the same, and never diversify outside of limit breaks.

Here is why FFX is better in the battle department.

- Characters have different focuses in the beginning, and thus have different abilities much like FF4. Though the sphere grid allows characters to become similar, it is a far better system than the games where characters start out the same and never become different.

- A lot of the boss fights in the game have sub-mechanics that require a different approach to fight them with. Though these are never complex, it gives bosses more diversity and individual tactics for defeating them. FFVIII only has a couple bosses like this.

- Even random battles can take thought and some effort, especially if you don't have uber equipment that has every status protection available. Early game, character switching is used often because some characters are better at exploiting enemy weaknesses than others, especially flying enemies, which makes FFX one of the few games where accuracy is actually a useful stat to have.

- FFX has a ton more depth. People have irrpronouncable names for challenges they come up with, most notably no sphere grid. The game allows such strong preparation (using customization) and item strategies that it's actually possible to beat bosses with extremely low stats with the right setups. This, my friend, is good game design.

The game allows such strong preparation (using customization) and item strategies that it's actually possible to beat bosses with extremely low stats with the right setups. This, my friend, is good game design.

That's actually possible with a lot of games.

I agree with you on the rest though.

Should I go into more depth as to why I think FFX factually has better battles than FFVIII? I shouldn't have to go in-depth like this, but it looks like I do.

- FFVIII is about limit break spamming. Magic is nearly useless unless you're using them with Selphie's Limit Break or casting the occasional Cure Spell, which is easily obsoleted by items.

- FFVIII rarely has battles that call for interesting strategies, especially when all you need to do is limit break everything.

- Even if you abuse the game's junction system, all it does is make the above much faster. Even without it, battles still don't take much thought, they just take longer to complete.

- Characters start out pretty much the same, and never diversify outside of limit breaks.

Here is why FFX is better in the battle department.

- Characters have different focuses in the beginning, and thus have different abilities much like FF4. Though the sphere grid allows characters to become similar, it is a far better system than the games where characters start out the same and never become different.

- A lot of the boss fights in the game have sub-mechanics that require a different approach to fight them with. Though these are never complex, it gives bosses more diversity and individual tactics for defeating them. FFVIII only has a couple bosses like this.

- Even random battles can take thought and some effort, especially if you don't have uber equipment that has every status protection available. Early game, character switching is used often because some characters are better at exploiting enemy weaknesses than others, especially flying enemies, which makes FFX one of the few games where accuracy is actually a useful stat to have.

- FFX has a ton more depth. People have irrpronouncable names for challenges they come up with, most notably no sphere grid. The game allows such strong preparation (using customization) and item strategies that it's actually possible to beat bosses with extremely low stats with the right setups. This, my friend, is good game design.

You forgot to mention the all out broken spells, the only useful spells in the game, those being Aura and Meltdown. Or the abilities like Revive and Recover. Along with the pointless stuff like the damn Card games. The story and characters sucked too. Lets not forget the only usable summon being Doomtrain, who basically comes in and rapes the enemy mindless. One cast, you win any battle. That game absolutely SUCKED with summoning too, thanks to that stupid summon friendliness nonsense.

Those were the highlights of FFX though. A good game is one where you can do so much with it. Its why games like Starcraft rock and games like most JRPGs suck. When I say JRPG games, I mean games like Musashi and Kingdom Hearts.

You forgot to mention the all out broken spells, the only useful spells in the game, those being Aura and Meltdown.
IIRC you could just use Grandtrain for the Meltdown effect, and you could use items to give Aura's effect. Neither are as broken as Hero Drinks, though.
Along with the pointless stuff like the damn Card games.
The card game is the only reason I didn't rant about drawing spells due to the Card Mod ability, heh.
That game absolutely SUCKED with summoning too, thanks to that stupid summon friendliness nonsense.
Oh yeah. I forgot to mention the summon system in FFX as a plus too. It was the first time where Summons weren't just a more fancy version of Black Magic and even had tactical value. Edited by Chainey