What do you define as "smart"

DeSu

anti kiba

someone with common sense.

someone who knows when not not say certain things.

someone who knows when to just stop

someone who thinks for themself and doesnt let others control their actions.

anti kiba

That's actually more what people would consider Maturity...

Being "smart" to me is a combination of capability to memorize, calculate, think critically, think quickly, understand, etc. You can make up for a deficit in one area with a surplus in another.

Being "smart" to me is a combination of capability to memorize, calculate, think critically, think quickly, understand, etc. You can make up for a deficit in one area with a surplus in another.

Im probably horribly wrong but I dont believe you can be smart without being mature. Just my 2 cents that I rarely ever throw out there.

Well, I dont think you can be smart to the very best of your limits without being mature. Since there can be a very smart, yet snot nosed bratty person (and im sure there are) but if they're self absorbed and immature, then they probably arent reaching their true potential in being "smart"

Edited by Len

anti kiba

I agree with the common sense one. I believe it's one of the biggest indicators of a smart person. Unfortunately, this seems to be the main thing missing in America these days. I swear, it seems like everyday I see or hear about some adult doing things that are BOUND to screw them over, but them not realizing it. Worse part is that I see kids being raised today are already on that path.

Im probably horribly wrong but I dont believe you can be smart without being mature. Just my 2 cents that I rarely ever throw out there.

Well, I dont think you can be smart to the very best of your limits without being mature. Since there can be a very smart, yet snot nosed bratty person (and im sure there are) but if they're self absorbed and immature, then they probably arent reaching their true potential in being "smart"

Not at all. I was once a kid who read LotR at 7, and could memorize passages from it. I could understand pretty much any math you told me. I could talk about what happened to cause World War 1, or someshit. I knew a lot of things. I UNDERSTOOD a lot of things.

Was I mature? No. Hell no. Maturity is affected by intelligence, but it is also based on experience in life, among other things.

Smart = Not stupid.

In most cases at least.

No, not stupid is not stupid, that can be average, genius, or anything in between. Not being black does not make you white, not being fat does not make you skinny.

As for me, my opinion is pretty much the same as Revan, but my expectations are a bit higher. Someone can be booksmart to a profound extent, but if they lack in areas outside of that I consider them stupid, and the same can be said for the opposite.

Balls.

And the ability to realize that even the smartest people don't know everything.

Being "smart" only matters when other people think you're smart. Maybe if you sit there quietly in the back of the room people will think you're some idiot savant or something, but there's no way better way than to get out there than to ask a question, or debate with the professor.

[/Nick Naylor]

Edited by Black Knight

Agreed on both counts. I'm debating in my head whether knowledge would be considered part of "smarts," though. Would you consider someone smart if they did well in all the areas you described, but had lived a life isolated from humanity and knew close to nothing?

I'm leaning towards yes right now...

Also like Revan said, I'd have to disagree with this too. I spend a fair amount of time with brilliant, immature people 5+ days a week.
Balls.

And the ability to realize that even the smartest people don't know everything.

Mmm, I'm disagreeing with this too. It's probably worth a little more than being smart, but it's nawt da same thang.

EDIT: Fucking trolled. I need to see that movie.

Edited by YokaiKnight

Hm. Well, I see 'smart','intellegence' and 'wisdom' as three different thing.

Someone who is smart knows how to do things.

Someone who is intelligent knows a lot of things.

And someone who is wise knows how to act in certain circumstances.

That's the way I see it.

anti kiba

I would add:

someone who is at least knowledgeable about one subject.

someone who has no difficulty grasping new material.

I would consider myself smart, but I am no genius.

-People who tries really hard to succeed

-People learning from other people's mistakes

-People know from right to wrong

That's my definition of "smart" people.

This is by far the most important thing on your list, although according to John Locke, human observation and experience is really the key to enlightenment.

" A smart man learns from his mistakes. However, a truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others.(or something like that.)

Being smart is being able to learn and adapt. Everyone makes mistakes before they know they are wrong. But someone who is smart remembers their mistakes and fixes them. Plus they are smart enough to learn from others' mistakes. Like watching a friend touch a hot stove and knowing not to do it yourself (I know plenty of people who would do it anyway).

anti kiba

Very well said.