Arden

OrangeCrush980

Can anyone give a real reason why he's so bad?

Alec

2 Level

32 HP

9 STR

0 MAG

9 SKL

10 SPD

4 LCK

7 DEF

0 MDEF

Pursuit, Awareness

Arde

3 Level

36 HP

13 STR

0 MAG

5 SKL

4 SPD

3 LCK

13 DEF

0 MDEF

Ambush

Most notably, Arden had a lead of 4 STR (!) and a whooping 6 DEF. Alec has a fairly irrelevant +6 SPD lead, +1 LCK and +4 SKL. Arden wins HP with +3 as well. MAG and MDEF are tied at 0.

Now, the would-be veteran player will immideatly notice Alec's Pursuit skill. However, let's make a simple comparison.

They both fight an enemy, a Mountain Thief. The Mountain Thief has 35 HP, 5 STR 7 SPD and 5 DEF. Other stats are 0 or irrelevant. He's holding an axe, so his AS is probably in the negatives, allowing Alec to double with little issue.

Alec holds a sword to not cripple his evade, right? Well, let's see.

Iron Sword gives Alec an ATK of 15. Arden gets an ATK of 19 (!!!).

Effectively, Alec has an ATK of 10 against the bandit, Arden an ATK of 14.

Alec attacks, and doubles. Mt. Thief has 15 HP left. Alec has 20 HP left.

Enemy turn, Mt. Thief attacks. Alec has a measly 8 HP left, but barely manages to kill the Bandit.

Amazing. Now let's look at Arden, same bandit, same equipment.

Arden hits Mt. Thief for 14 damage, mt. Thief counters, bringing Arden down to 30 HP.

Enemy round. Mt. Thief attacks Arden, bringing him down to 24 HP, Arden counters, Bandit has but 7 HP left.

Arden easily finishes the Mt. Thief off.

Now, while Alec indeed only took two rounds to kill the Mt. Thief, at the time of finishing him, he was in peril himself. Arden could probably take down TWO Mt. Thieves at a time without being at a major risk of dying, simply due to his Ambush skill. This would allow him to kill both of them and still remain at 10+ HP. Let's take a look, calling the Mt. Thieves X and Y.

Round 1, Arden hits X bringing him down to 21 HP. Arden is brought down to 30 HP.

X and Y hits Arden. He now has 18 HP, one of them has 7 HP, the other 21.

Round 2. Arden hits Y, bringing him down to 7 HP, Arden himself having 12 left.

Enemy round! Will Arden die? Nope, because his Ambush skill kicks in, allowing him to kill both of them without a scratch, and with enough HP to survive another hit!

I like Arden better than Alec, I usually make some slow characters fast or decent speed(I.E Wallace, Dorcas & Garcia).

He's not so bad, just give him one spd rinng and skil ring, if he gets a lover there's a secret event where he gets awarded 5+ skill.

Mobility would be one answer.

I like Arden better than Alec, I usually make some slow characters fast or decent speed(I.E Wallace, Dorcas & Garcia).

He's not so bad, just give him one spd rinng and skil ring, if he gets a lover there's a secret event where he gets awarded 5+ skill.

This wins the "most microscopic advantage" award.

Edited by Sirius

Except Alec can actually reach the Mountain Thief before everyone else in your team rapes it.

Ardan can't.

Also, try an enemy that isn't pathetically weak.

Edited by Ninji

Arden is bad because:

1.Has one skill before promotion and two after. That skill, Ambush is useful but there's better. Great Shield's max activation rate is 30% and it's unlikely he'll reach Level 30 but if it activates at that time he'll have decent Defense.

2.No Pursuit which is the best skill in the game and it's hard to kill without it

3.Horrible move on a large map game

4.Very simalar to Lex but doesn't Neir Blood, Elite, or the Hero Axe

5.No Holy Blood

6.Pathetic Skill, Speed, Luck, and Resistance growths

Arden is good because:

1.He's avalible from the start

2.He has the best starting Defense of the Chapter 1 characters

3.He uses Swords, the best weapon type in FE4

4.He can be trained against the Axe Fighters because of the Weapon Triangle Advantage

5.He get's the Pursuit Ring.

The bad is far worse than the good is good.

Movement hurts him the most. Add that to the fact that he cannot double, and walla! Not much leveling, no promotion.

He is still a cool character.

I know that we agree. I just feel like stressing your points.

1.He's avalible from the start

But he can't reach any enemies during the Prolouge because 90% of your units are mounted. The only unmounted one other than Ardan is Azel.

2.He has the best starting Defense of the Chapter 1 characters

But his damage output is the worst.

3.He uses Swords, the best weapon type in FE4

Swords are really only good because they are lightweight, which doesn't matter because Ardan will never double anything.

4.He can be trained against the Axe Fighters because of the Weapon Triangle Advantage

Which he can't reach.

5.He get's the Pursuit Ring.

Really shouldn't be counted for him, but whatever.

I like Arden more than Alec, his personality is absolutely hilarious, his portrait is amusing, he's the only armor you have 1st gen. That being said he is an absolute pain to use, except to guard castles, lol.

You can give him the leg ring (something I did), which solves his movement problems...but he still has a lot of trouble killing things. He doesn't do well in the arena either, so you have to take the time to level him up during the chapters. Unfortunately even as a general, he isn't so great. Alec is pretty terrible as well, but at least earlygame he is quite useful.

How sad with generals in this game able to equip 4 weapons and having the big shield skill, that both of them are pretty bad.

But he can't reach any enemies during the Prolouge because 90% of your units are mounted. The only unmounted one other

than Ardan is Azel.

But his damage output is the worst.

Swords are really only good because they are lightweight, which doesn't matter because Ardan will never double anything.

Which he can't reach.

Really shouldn't be counted for him, but whatever.

If he reaches them he can be decent. I don't know for sure because I just have him guard the castle.

That's definately true.

But avoid also matters. If a unit can't dodge that's bad. But he does have Defense incase he does get hit.

Again if he does.

If Arden dies, no Pursuit Ring. It doesn't really matter but that's one of the few good things he has. I just mentioned that because he needed something good.

Arden. He's THE most pathetic unpromoted, not overpowered unit I have ever seen, probably. People like Arden are pretty much the guys who have the bases of Gilliam of FE8 and Jeigan-like growths. Greatshield pales in comparison to something like Prayer, which almost guarantees a miss every time if you're lucky enough. I don't like him, I never have, and never will. Think FE6 Bartre, but half his stats.

Arden. He's THE most pathetic unpromoted, not overpowered unit I have ever seen, probably. People like Arden are pretty much the guys who have the bases of Gilliam of FE8 and Jeigan-like growths. Greatshield pales in comparison to something like Prayer, which almost guarantees a miss every time if you're lucky enough. I don't like him, I never have, and never will. Think FE6 Bartre, but half his stats.

What.

No, what?

If you're trying to hop on the Arden hate bandwagon, you're doing it wrong.

What.

No, what?

If you're trying to hop on the Arden hate bandwagon, you're doing it wrong.

Oh, my. Did i say that? Whoops.

Alright, well, not exactly Jeigan, because Jeigan grows NOTHING at all. But you know what I mean. I've gotten him to level 17 in hopes of training him (first walkthrough by the way), and that was counting for him taking on ALL of the axemen in the beginning, giving him the slim sword, AND keeping the pursuit ring with him, along with letting him keep the pursuit ring he gets. Result? His only good thing was that he was a slow tank, which regularly, I like. I think I compare him to Hannibal in second generation.

What? 90% HP, 50% Strength, 40% Defense is Jeigan-like?