• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheEnd

• Rei Rei

• Ϲharlie

• Icon of Sin

Top Posters In This Topic

The historical book? by...Davis I think the name is?

The one about the French man who basically was an ID Thief?

Ah, but I'm transcribing the musical.

But it is indeed based upon the bookS and the movies

The one by Judge Jean De Coras is probably the most interesting book, though, as he judged the case.

didn't know there was a musical to go with it...that'd be interesting to see...is it in french?

The french version was never released, as it got translated to English without premiering in French.

There are 2 versions, the 1996~1998 version and 1999~2000 version.

I prefer the latter, most prefer the former.

From the same makers as Les Miserables(the musical)

It sadly never got known that well, and except for the cast recordings and vocal selections all I have of it is...well, illegal.

the musical itself is illegal? hmm?

never saw les miserables myself, but apparently it's rather good.

No, the stuff I have of it (bootlegs)

The musical is legal, of course =/

My avatar is an extract from it, Guillaume (a character that was created for the musical) singing Act II's highlight, "I Will Make You Proud".

It's FANTASTIC, listen to it in English, then in French, Dutch, German, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Mexican, *list keeps going*

Seriously, one of the best, if not the best musical ever.

ohh...ok...i was think that it was on the ban list. (Kinda like the book ban lists that I've seen).

No wonder I didn't recognize the character from the movie...

haha, i'm not too into musicals myself. The sound of music (if you want to consider that one) is good however.

ohh...ok...i was think that it was on the ban list. (Kinda like the book ban lists that I've seen).

No wonder I didn't recognize the character from the movie...

haha, i'm not too into musicals myself. The sound of music (if you want to consider that one) is good however.

Nah, musicals don't get on the ban list easily.

Guillaume is the best addition to the story they made IMO, and a part I really want to play one day.

I'm a big musical fan, though I kind of have a top of musicals and usually only listen to those, I generally don't listen to the others after the first time. I don't like the Sound of Music myself, but it is indeed a musical.

If you're interested, there are extracts from my high school's performance of it on Youtube. I'm not in it but my brother is.

what role does he play in the story? is he another witness...or a friend of the ID thief? etc.?

(granted, i forgot names...but i remember the wife and i can't decide if she's good or bad or just smart to play all the cards...drives me batty really).

No, the stuff I have of it (bootlegs)

The musical is legal, of course =/

My avatar is an extract from it, Guillaume (a character that was created for the musical) singing Act II's highlight, "I Will Make You Proud".

It's FANTASTIC, listen to it in English, then in French, Dutch, German, Japanese, Hebrew, Korean, Mexican, *list keeps going*

Seriously, one of the best, if not the best musical ever.

This is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! (Is the anime the same story as the musical?)

what role does he play in the story? is he another witness...or a friend of the ID thief? etc.?

(granted, i forgot names...but i remember the wife and i can't decide if she's good or bad or just smart to play all the cards...drives me batty really).

Well, the 5 main principals of the musical are Martin, Arnaud the ID thief, Bertrande (Martin's wife) who falls in love with Arnaud, Guillaume who very deeply loves Bertrande and hates Martin and Arnaud (he is also the Major Antagonist, a role often given to Pierre, Martin's uncle) and Benoit, the fool who knows Arnaud's identity, but keeps it a secret because of his friendship with Bertrande. He has one of the saddest moments in the show...the saddest really.

Research proves that Bertrande always knew Arnaud was an impostor, btw.

This is the music of a people who will not be slaves again! (Is the anime the same story as the musical?)

When the beating of your heart, echoes the beating of the drums! (Mostly, but of course edited, and it has much more details that were left out of the musical)

P.S.: I love the Norse version of the song "Dog eats Dog" from Les Misérables.

Right...I remember now, yeah the research does show that, it's interesting really...the main questions are why would she do that?

She fell in love - sure, but you also have to realize, that a woman's place and power, came from her family and especially her husband...who was basically missing, until arnaud appeared.

i could get into that more, but not sure if you want to hear my history speech.

Right...I remember now, yeah the research does show that, it's interesting really...the main questions are why would she do that?

She fell in love - sure, but you also have to realize, that a woman's place and power, came from her family and especially her husband...who was basically missing, until arnaud appeared.

i could get into that more, but not sure if you want to hear my history speech.

Because Arnaud is much more loving and caring than the more agressive Martin who never truly loved her.

And actually her power came mainly from her father, rather than her husband. Or that's how I heard it.

And lastly, they needed (whole Artigat, I mean) a new Martin, Arnaud was perfect for the part. When Martin shows up on the trial, Bertrande confesses after all, doesn't she?

...well actually, her parents arranged the marriage between her and martin...to join the lands of their families, if i recall correctly.

However, when her father died...and her mother remarried to Martin's Uncle, effectively resealing the lands due to martin's disappearance...thus removing the chance for Bertrande of actually running her own house. So, she didn't actually have a place in her house without her husband because Martin couldn't claim his inheritance and she was back under her mother's control.

I thought, she played along with Arnaud's trial, trying to get him off...until they both realized that he was doomed and he didn't want her to go down with him. It was also interesting how she never was accused of having two husbands (bigamy) which would have opened a whole new can of worms.

When the beating of your heart, echoes the beating of the drums! (Mostly, but of course edited, and it has much more details that were left out of the musical)

P.S.: I love the Norse version of the song "Dog eats Dog" from Les Misérables.

There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes! (Well, that's good. If it's an anime it should do that.)

"Do you hear the people sing" is the only thing about Les Miserables I know :(

The first time I found the song I thought Les Miserables was the name of a band : P

...well actually, her parents arranged the marriage between her and martin...to join the lands of their families, if i recall correctly.

However, when her father died...and her mother remarried to Martin's Uncle, effectively resealing the lands due to martin's disappearance...thus removing the chance for Bertrande of actually running her own house. So, she didn't actually have a place in her house without her husband because Martin couldn't claim his inheritance and she was back under her mother's control.

I thought, she played along with Arnaud's trial, trying to get him off...until they both realized that he was doomed and he didn't want her to go down with him. It was also interesting how she never was accused of having two husbands (bigamy) which would have opened a whole new can of worms.

Ah, the story has been changed so often I can't always follow it that well.

She truly loved him more than Martin, and Arnaud didn't want Bertrande to suffer for him indeed.

She never married Arnaud, so she couldn't have been accused of having 2 husbands. She DID cheat on Martin, though.

There is a life about to start when tomorrow comes! (Well, that's good. If it's an anime it should do that.)

"Do you hear the people sing" is the only thing about Les Miserables I know :(

The first time I found the song I thought Les Miserables was the name of a band : P

*instrumental section* In my life, there are so many questions and answers *shot* (The subbing is at episode 23 IIRC, but it's being worked on)

It's one of the best known songs, along with I dreamed a dream (YUCK!), Bring him home and On My Own.

Lol =p

Edited by Enjolras

Ah, the story has been changed so often I can't always follow it that well.

She truly loved him more than Martin, and Arnaud didn't want Bertrande to suffer for him indeed.

She never married Arnaud, so she couldn't have been accused of having 2 husbands. She DID cheat on Martin, though.

yeah, the story changes.

Oh, def. that point cannot be argued. She def. loved him more than Martin.

Not sure if that's putting present values on the past...would need to go and look up the historical definition.

I know a one point in time, particularly in England, just having relations with another person, was considered marriage. Which was one of the reasons why the published the Banns.

Though, I'm not sure if that applies here, it's just an idea to think about...

yeah, the story changes.

Oh, def. that point cannot be argued. She def. loved him more than Martin.

Not sure if that's putting present values on the past...would need to go and look up the historical definition.

I know a one point in time, particularly in England, just having relations with another person, was considered marriage. Which was one of the reasons why the published the Banns.

Though, I'm not sure if that applies here, it's just an idea to think about...

Jean De Coras' is most accurate, though.

True. She loved Arnaud much more.

It doesn't apply in late Medieval/early Renaissance France AFAIK.

Wasn't De Coras a judge during the trial who left those documents? If so, yeah he would be the most accurate and probably the basis for a lot of the other work being done on it.

True...If I recall correctly, this was also the time when the protestant religion was gaining ground, although France was traditionally Catholic, so religion probably played a part as well...maybe. (gack, I'll need to go and actually re-read the book, if this is actually going to turn into a debate lol.

Edit: Hi Jan...

Edited by Hatari

http://en.wikipedia....i/Martin_Guerre

that should help, if you're interested...

the role of the wife, for me, is the most interesting part of the story...due to all of the factors and such that. I mean, yes he does know that he's not Martin, but besides love, why risk everything for him etc. It's just interesting...

Edited by Hatari