Canned Laughter

Lux Aeterna

Do they make the show better?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Well do they?

• Yes
    • Depends on the situation
    • No

Canned laughter only manages to annoy me. If it's funny, I'll laugh. Hearing rehearsed laughter isn't going to make me laugh.

I dunno, in Speech our professor told us that it has something to do with influencing ratings.

Edited by Crystal Shards

I dunno, in Speech our professor told us that it has something to do with influencing ratings.

I can see how something like that could, but the canned laughter doesn't really come across as something that would do that (Well, at least after seeign all the responses that were given here, far more say it's annoying then not) =/

Yep, shows with laugh tracks are perceived as funnier.

Personally I think it's irritating.

Sometimes in comedies it completes the satirical mood of the moment. If you were watching a comedy routine that was silent, it would sound kind of awkward.

It's like a promt for the audience: "You should laugh now. It's funny. No really, that was funny. Laugh."

Also, in most routines, the pauses during canned laughter allow the audience to soak in what just happened and enjoy the humor without missing the next part of the routine.

Like, watch a Monty Python episode, and then imagine how different it would be if there were no canned laughter.

Kinda loses the humorous effect, doesn't it?

Edited by Naglfarslayer

I heard laughter is contaigius(i seem to be loosing my spelling.)

I heard laughter is contaigius(i seem to be loosing my spelling.)

Contagious and losing, for future reference. :)

And it is. One day, I did an experiment that no one knew I was trying. I just suddenly started laughing (this was in elementary school recess) fakely, but it sounded real enough. One minute later, everyone else was laughing.