any tips for a first time driver?

Thunder Mage Ilyana

Oh, and use your signals. Can't tell you how many accidents I've nearly been in because of other people not using their fucking signals. Related: avoid Connecticut license plates.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't take any classes and aside from my brother I'm the most responsible driver I know.

Me? A responsible driver?

Also, get good at backing up. Backing into parking spaces and pulling out is a lot safer than pulling in and backing out. This goes for driveways as well. Of course, the ideal situation is to find two parking spaces across from each other which are empty, so you can pull in through the back of one and park with your nose out, and then pull out again when you leave. Basically, never back up unless you have to, that's when most careless accidents happen.

Also, for smoother driving, keep your hands lower on the steering wheel. The old advice of 10 and 2 (keeping your left hand at 10 o'clock on the steering wheel and right at 2 o'clock) is highly outdated, mostly because modern airbags will break your fingers if you keep them there. Putting your hands at 9 and 3, or slightly below, helps develop the habit of pulling the wheel in the direction you want to go, rather than pushing it (IE, you want to go left, use your left hand to pull the wheel down counterclockwise rather than your right to push it up). This in general results in smoother driving, and can also reduce fatigue in your arms for longer trips.

Edited by California Mountain Snake

Oh, and use your signals. Can't tell you how many accidents I've nearly been in because of other people not using their fucking signals. Related: avoid Connecticut license plates.

>:[

does anyone have any tips on how to turn in a roundabout? what i do is slow down before the yield sign, look at my left and accelerate to 10 mph (speed limits for roundabouts near my house are 15 mph) then step off the gas pedal as i turn left then start to accelerate as i make my exit. am i doing this right?

San Antonio has a few roundabouts, although we go to the right instead of to the left. Generally I slow/stop (depending on if any cars are coming) at the entrance, and then accelerate to the speed limit. Then I take pressure off the accelerator and just push down a little bit if I feel myself slowing down, until I come to the exit and just glide right in at the same speed. That way you don't have to worry about people behind you not noticing if you slow down a bit due to coasting while on the roundabout.

Edited by Crepe Knight

Don't hit anyone. This is excellent advice.

I second this. Plus, I never took driver school at all and I drive just fine

To get to know the exact size of your car, try using a stationary object that won't damage your car (like a plastic garbage can) and very slowly move towards it until you bump into it. Your car's dimensions are smaller then you think.

Also, don't turn on the radio too loud. You can get a much better feeling of your immediate surroundings if you can hear car horns and engine noises.

Buckle up. You have a better chance of surviving some dumbass in a metal juggernaut (this may or may not be yourself) when you're buckled up.

Also, don't turn on the radio too loud. You can get a much better feeling of your immediate surroundings if you can hear car horns and engine noises.

No, the reason you don't turn on the radio too loud is that it pisses off everyone nearby.

>:[

Do not make one-line posts, unless it adds something new or interesting to a discussion. Likewise, do not just quote another member and simply write "I agree", "quoted for truth", "no", etc. In these cases, make sure to at least explain why you agree or disagree.

Pretty self-explanatory. :3

No, the reason you don't turn on the radio too loud is that it pisses off everyone nearby.

But that's why I turn mine all the way up and roll down the windows (well the latter is also to avoid destroying what is left of my ear drums)

always go at least 5 over the speed limit it is the law of the road unless your young(15-16) and you have your mom in the front seat, but still still speed or people will kill you
At most? I think some cops don't mind if you go 9 over the limit. At least, one of my driving instructors told me that.
Isn't listening to the radio illegal until you get your full license anyway? At least, in MD?

So what I've found is that you shouldn't keep your eyes on one thing for more than 4 or 5 seconds. Checking your mirrors, speedometer and other gauges regularly and just in general being aware of your surroundings is important. Always use your turn signals, especially on the highway.

As for wondering how close you are to the curb, that's what your right mirror's for. Adjust it as you need to. And an SUV isn't as big as you think, it's just higher off the ground. I found it easier driving my parent's mini-van when I first started because I got to see more around me. Every car takes some getting used to, it's all up to the driver.

At most? I think some cops don't mind if you go 9 over the limit. At least, one of my driving instructors told me that.

Unfortunately it's situational, my dad has been tagged for going 37 in a 30 zone.

Don't wreck.

EDIT: I wouldn't go over 5mph over the limit if I were you.

EDIT2: Also also, for roundabouts, really the only thing you need to worry about is cutting people off. I lived in Europe for a long time and the main thing is to go right after the last car before a break so the people behind you aren't cursing your name. Then just make sure your wheels don't squeal; that means you're going too fast.

Edited by Crystal Shards

Don't worry about it. Once you're behind the wheel a few times, it'll feel natural. Just remember that millions of extremely incompetent drivers have received their licenses before you, and most of them are still alive. Driving is easier than it looks. Just don't fall asleep. If you're on a long trip and think you're going to fall asleep, drink a lot of water or tea, and it'll make you have to piss. Nobody likes falling asleep to a full bladder.

Don't worry about it. Once you're behind the wheel a few times, it'll feel natural. Just remember that millions of extremely incompetent drivers have received their licenses before you, and most of them are still alive. Driving is easier than it looks. Just don't fall asleep. If you're on a long trip and think you're going to fall asleep, drink a lot of water or tea, and it'll make you have to piss. Nobody likes falling asleep to a full bladder.

Um, if you feel like falling asleep, you should pull over at the next safest place and get out for a while. Don't play the "turn the air conditioner up" and all those other games. You don't need to be on the road if you aren't fully alert.

Edited by Crystal Shards

is there another way to check your blind spots besides having to turn around and look over your shoulders?

Some people claim you can set your mirrors a certain way but I seriously doubt it. Looking over your shoulders isn't that bad. It's awkward at first but you get used to it.

is there another way to check your blind spots besides having to turn around and look over your shoulders?

You don't have to look very far back to see your blind spot. The blind spot is in the rear right passenger window. All you have to do is give a glance out that window and you're golden.

I know I don't have some idiot kid completely ignoring the context of my post (and the bolding of my quote to that effect) to repeat some word-vomit from the rules, rules I more or less wrote before this site even existed. I must be imagining things.

Anyway, something I noticed:

Also, for smoother driving, keep your hands lower on the steering wheel. The old advice of 10 and 2 (keeping your left hand at 10 o'clock on the steering wheel and right at 2 o'clock) is highly outdated, mostly because modern airbags will break your fingers if you keep them there. Putting your hands at 9 and 3, or slightly below, helps develop the habit of pulling the wheel in the direction you want to go, rather than pushing it (IE, you want to go left, use your left hand to pull the wheel down counterclockwise rather than your right to push it up). This in general results in smoother driving, and can also reduce fatigue in your arms for longer trips.

This is completely nuking things out. Most wheels I've used are designed for 10-2 - my wheel has nubs on it - and keeping things lower just increases the chances that 1) your hands will slip, especially if 2) you have to quickly react to something fast (ie, someone cutting you off or someone locking up in front of you). I learned 10-2 back in '96, but I think it still is the best way to do it overall. You shouldn't be positioning your hands based on something you're going to do less than half the time (hard turns).

Oh, that's another thing: that thing they teach you in driving school about a 2 second gap between you and the car in front of you? Adhere to it. Don't be those assholes that like to ride the tailpipe, or you're going to end up in their trunk. Remember that in every state, someone rear-ending someone else is *always* the back person's fault.

EDIT:

You don't have to look very far back to see your blind spot. The blind spot is in the rear right passenger window. All you have to do is give a glance out that window and you're golden.

Don't forget the side mirrors; I'd use them before looking over my shoulder (which naturally makes my hands jerk the wheel if I'm not very careful). Don't rely on them, but if they're properly adjusted, they're useful, especially with today's smaller cars. With my first car (a '77 Bonneville), not so much. XD

Edited by Superbus