any tips for a first time driver?

Thunder Mage Ilyana

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Hm. Is it illegal in Nevada? Cause if not... :awesome:

It's your funeral. :awesome:

No, driving with my folks in the car and trying to concentrate at the same time, that could be the end of me. They're just too much.

Don't assume I have music blasting in my ears or anything. I can still hear just fine because I always leave it at a low volume level. About 45-50% works great. I just find a song that makes me calm down and gives me a melody to follow. It's either that or watch the veins in my wrists bulge while sweat runs down my neck, and I slowly lose my mind, trying to focus... all the while two incompatible caretakers are trying to verbally skewer each other.

I know what you're all getting at though, and I'll be extra careful. Tch, at least I'm not TEXTing of all things. What's up with that anyway?

on my first behind the wheel i practiced at an empty parking lot and when i pushed on the gas pedal i only pushed it down about this much (|--|) and the car started to accelerate at about 20mph. anybody out there with any tips on steering, speed control, and curbs (i cant tell how far i am from hitting the curb to my right.)?

*giggles*

Ah, the joys of driving for the first time.

I love driving. It's one of the best thrills I get in my otherwise boring life.

A problem I had when I first started out was starting/accelerating too abruptly. The only way I got better was to recognize that it's not right for my passengers to lurch backward whenever I hit the pedal. Rest your foot on the accelerator, and push down very slowly. One of my worries was that my car would be in the way for drivers behind me when the traffic light turns green, but it's really about starting smoothly and accelerating once the car is in motion.

Speed control is another issue that takes a little time to figure out. I have a tendency to speed. Knowing this, I would always look at my speedometer too often (3 times every second is an exaggeration, but yeah). Now I trust my instincts and set a speed I'm comfortable with, gauge how fast other cars are driving, and follow them. I think that's the easiest way to drive at a good speed, especially on the highway.

Right turns. I love turning! I think turning curbs is mostly speed control and partly just knowing that the curb is farther away from you than you think. Speed...I brake well before I make the turn, and approach the curb slowly. Once I turn the steering wheel, I accelerate. I always keep the lines on the road in mind to make sure I'm not too far on the right side of the lane or the left.

I hope this helps!

Edited by nacho

on my first behind the wheel i practiced at an empty parking lot and when i pushed on the gas pedal i only pushed it down about this much (|--|) and the car started to accelerate at about 20mph. anybody out there with any tips on steering, speed control, and curbs (i cant tell how far i am from hitting the curb to my right.)?

*giggles*

Ah, the joys of driving for the first time.

I love driving. It's one of the best thrills I get in my otherwise boring life.

A problem I had when I first started out was starting/accelerating too abruptly. The only way I got better was to recognize that it's not right for my passengers to lurch backward whenever I hit the pedal. Rest your foot on the accelerator, and push down very slowly. One of my worries was that my car would be in the way for drivers behind me when the traffic light turns green, but it's really about starting smoothly and accelerating once the car is in motion.

Speed control is another issue that takes a little time to figure out. I have a tendency to speed. Knowing this, I would always look at my speedometer too often (3 times every second is an exaggeration, but yeah). Now I trust my instincts and set a speed I'm comfortable with, gauge how fast other cars are driving, and follow them. I think that's the easiest way to drive at a good speed, especially on the highway.

Right turns. I love turning! I think turning curbs is mostly speed control and partly just knowing that the curb is farther away from you than you think. Speed...I brake well before I make the turn, and approach the curb slowly. Once I turn the steering wheel, I accelerate. I always keep the lines on the road in mind to make sure I'm not too far on the right side of the lane or the left.

I hope this helps!

wow! thanks for the tips! it's been about a month since i started driving and i only drove about 9 times already and i'm getting the hang of it. i've been driving in the residence area the whole time and i'm driving like the others on the road (not the aggressive drivers/drunks/speeders) i drive at about 2-5 under the speed limit. now i'm practicing parallel parking and i did well on my first try but i keep messing up every now and then.

Oooh, parallel parking is tough. Yay, I'm glad you're driving around though! I would try going on the highway, even if you don't feel like you're ready. Of course, you'll have a license-holder sitting right beside you, but you should really try it!

wow! thanks for the tips! it's been about a month since i started driving and i only drove about 9 times already and i'm getting the hang of it. i've been driving in the residence area the whole time and i'm driving like the others on the road (not the aggressive drivers/drunks/speeders) i drive at about 2-5 under the speed limit. now i'm practicing parallel parking and i did well on my first try but i keep messing up every now and then.

I just got my license about two months ago, and I think I can safely say I'm the only person on this earth who actually despises driving. I'm not bad at it, I just hate how boring it is. And it is hard to stay on constant alert when you're driving for more than an hour.

Anyway, yeah, I just try to keep my speed within 5 of the speed limit. Usually no one will get mad (cops or other drivers) if you are going 5 under or over.

And I thought it was hilarious that on my parking test, I parallel and backward parked perfectly, but I missed the straight forward parking by a few inches. Of all the stupid things to lose a point on...

Edited by Ragnell

Just flip out at your fucking parents, then. That's more efficient. And the "it's your funeral" can work on them too :awesome:

Already tried that. five minutes later, right back to square one. Here's some of the quotes from me...

"Would you guys please shut up?! You're going to get us killed!"

"Guys! Pertinent information ONLY please!"

"Oh my God, you guys are driving me nuts!"

Did you get the last one? The funny thing is, no matter how hysterical these family rides gets, they always give me a 90-100 on driving, even though I'm stressed to the point of bulging veins and sweating. Probably because we didn't crash amidst the chaos. I hate having to be in "do or die" mode just to drive a damn car though. That's just pathetic. :facepalm: