FE4 ranked run videos

Vykan12

FE4 AAAA rank run

You’ll have to make a nico video account to watch them. Get the instructions here or if that doesn’t work, google is your friend.

I’m just putting this here for easy reference. I might add my thoughts about the run after I watch it.

Also, if you find any cool FE videos on nico, tell me so I can link it in this post.

After watching the first 2 chapters, I wasn't really that impressed. There was just too much exp farming and RNG abuse for my liking. The latter would've been ok if it weren't for the fact that the runner had to make Ardan suicide in the arena constantly to get the results he wanted. The sped up music is entertaining at first but gets tedious to listen to later.

Anyway, Mekkah hacked me a version of FE4 where everyone has elite, which should make the exp rank much easier. I'm thinking of doing a ranked run myself, probably TASed so that cursor movement and RNG abuse is more bearable to watch. An intense amount of planning would be needed though.

You d00ds seem to be experts on pairings, so what would be the optimal ones for each character?

After watching the first 2 chapters, I wasn't really that impressed. There was just too much exp farming and RNG abuse for my liking.

Hence why ranks are often discarded.

You d00ds seem to be experts on pairings, so what would be the optimal ones for each character?

I'm under the impression that...

Lex x Ayra

Levin x Tiltyu

Claude x Fury

Beowulf x Lachesis

Midir x Aideen

Holyn x Briggid

Sylvia x Herself

Are the best pairings, but Mekkah's likely to correct that list.

Lex x Ayra

Levin x Tiltyu

Claude x Fury

Beowulf x Lachesis

Midir x Aideen

Holyn x Briggid

Sylvia x Herself

Claude x Edin would be better due to Rana having the Rescue Staff at the start of Chapter 6.

Also Lachesis x Noish is better, IMO.

I need reasons for those pairings being the best.

Also, according to Mekkah, Holyn!Ayra is better than Lex!Ayra since their children will inherit elite regardless.

Also, according to Mekkah, Holyn!Ayra is better than Lex!Ayra since their children will inherit elite regardless.

Right, right. Innate Elite, forgot.

Claude x Edin would be better due to Rana having the Rescue Staff at the start of Chapter 6.

Holsety!Arthur>>Rescue staff.

Anyway, innate elite might blow a few things out of proportion, so I'm just going to keep my trap shut.

Innate Elite means there's not much reason to pair Lex. Can't pass his axes down anyway and while his blood is decent, I can mostly only see it mattering for a few rare situations and he doesn't have Pursuit. Not a problem for Ayra regardless, but for other ladies it might be. With everyone having Elite, you may as well go with Noish. I don't recommend Ayra x Holyn simply because Holyn is so good with Brigid, but if you've decided not to go that way then he's an excellent choice for her I suppose.

The aforementioned pairing list is about as close to what I consider "ideal" pairings as the game can really have. Innate Elite doesn't change much besides making them all even better.

Okay, let’s see if I can figure this out.

Holyn x Ayra

Best average stats.

Holyn!Lakche bases: 31 hp, 10 str, 14 skl, 14 spd, 7 def, 0 res, 8 lck

Holyn!Lackche growths: 135 hp, 45 str, 115 skl, 45 spd, 35 def, 7 res, 30 lck

Holyn!Skasha bases: 31 hp, 10 str, 14 skl, 13 spd, 8 def, 0 res, 7 lck

Holyn!Skasha growths: 155 hp, 45 str, 125 skl, 45 spd, 40 def, 7 res, 30 lck

Lex!Lakche bases: 30 hp, 10 str, 13 skl, 13 spd, 7 def, 0 res, 8 lck

Lex!Lakche growths: 125 hp, 50 str, 70 skl, 40 spd, 60 def, 7 res, 30 lck

Lex!Skasha bases: 31 hp, 10 str, 13 skl, 13 spd, 8 def, 0 res, 9 lck

Lex!Skasha growths: 135 hp, 55 str, 65 skl, 35 spd, 60 def, 7 res, 30 lck

As for skill set, awareness, luna > ambush (the rest is the same).

To be honest, I think Dew would probably make the best father. Sun strike > luna since improving durability > improving overkill offence. Their stats won’t really suffer either.

Dew!Lakche bases: 28 hp, 10 str, 14 skl, 14 spd, 7 def, 0 res, 9 lck

Dew!Lackche growths: 95 hp, 50 str, 80 skl, 50 spd, 40 def, 10 res, 40 lck

Dew!Skasha bases: 27 hp, 9 str, 13 skl, 14 spd, 7 def, 0 res, 11 lck

Dew!Skasha growths: 95 hp, 55 str, 85 skl, 55 spd, 50 def, 12 res, 50 lck

The main hits are in the hp and skl growths, but they also have a higher def and AS/avo growth to compensate.

*Looks for a reason as to why the pairing sucks*

Love growth: 0+2

I guess that would do it >_>

Levin x Tiltyu

Broken Arthur, obviously.

Claude x Fury

Going by love growths:

Claude’s alternate options:

Ayra- taken

Tiltyu- taken

Sylvia- won’t pair with anyone so we can get Laylea

Aideen- no pursuit

Brigid- no pursuit

Fury’s alternate options:

Levin- taken

On the other hand, Claude!Fee kinda sucks.

Claude!Fee bases: 27 hp, 8 str, 9 skl, 15 spd, 7 def, 9 res, 9 lck

Claude!Fee growths: 85 hp, 25 str, 30 mag, 30 skl, 45 spd, 40 def, 35 res, 45 lck

I’m not sure who the other pairing is, but this is making me think it’s Sety. If that’s the case, Claude!Sety is probably the best one due to having the highest mag base (23), though he’ll only inherit pursuit. I guess that’s all he needs considering he’s probably the most broken magic user in all of fire emblem.

Beowulf x Lachesis

Pursuit/charge/continue/critical is a pretty awesome skill combination. The only other character that gives Delmud that is Midayle, though he offers inferior growths, particularly in hp (-20) and str (-10). Same case for Nanna too, pretty much.

Midir x Aideen

Again, going by support speed:

Midir’s alternate choices:

Tiltyu- taken

Briggid- ?

Aideen’s alternate choices:

Levin- taken

Azel- ?

Jamka- no pursuit

Claude- taken

Beowulf- taken

For stats, Midir!Lester doesn’t look too special. Jamka gives him +30 hp, +20 str and +30 luck at the cost of 10 spd and some other minor stuff. In fact, I think Midir is Lester’s worst pairing, Azel and Ardan excluded. As a result, it might be worth giving Jamka the pursuit ring.

As for Lana, that pairing also seems a bit average. Lex would give her 25 hp and 25 def at the cost of 10 spd, though the pairing is slower and she won’t get pursuit. Azel is her best option, but that also means screwing over Lester.

I’m not quite as sure about this pairing as the others, tbh.

Holyn x Briggid

Holyn can’t pair with 2 characters, so we have a problem. I don’t really care much about this pairing anyways since Faval is locked to bows and Patty is useless in combat. Fin!Briggid seems like the best option to me since then Patty gets prayer, which can be used for major arena abuse. It’s also a scary fast pairing (180+10).

Sylvia x Herself

We want Laylea since she fights better than Leen (all of them?) and sports charisma.

There’s still a lot of characters that were left off.

Alec

Noish

Ardan

Fin

Azel

Dew

Jamka

I don’t care if they (well most of them) suck, I need to gain 85% of all possible level-ups to match the exp rank requirement, so basically everyone’s getting trained.

Continue is a class skill of Sages so Sety will have Pursuit and Continue.

Claude!Fee should be using magic swords and then after promote she's the best Dark Mage hunter since many of them can't be reached by most of your units and status staves suck.

Edited by Sirius

I'm not counting what innate skills gen 2 characters have since they'll get them regardless of their parents.

For Claude!Fee, she only starts with 3 mag and finishes up with 18. I guess if I gave her a light sword loaded with 50+ kills she'll be okay.

Edited by Vykan12

It's not a speedrun. It's just a ranked run that makes the most absurd rank (exp) much easier to achieve. An actual speedrun would fail non-tactic ranks horribly.

I'm not counting what innate skills gen 2 characters have since they'll get them regardless of their parents.

For Claude!Fee, she only starts with 3 mag and finishes up with 18. I guess if I gave her a light sword loaded with 50+ kills she'll be okay.

Give her a magic ring. 20 ATK that targets RES (most enemies having 0 or 1) ain't too bad when she's doubling everything.

That would be the second biggest planning issue in the run: ring (and other droppable item) allotment.

Let’s see what item locations brings up. First the non-boss stuff:

Prologue

Silver sword: Sigurd (talk to Alvis)

Speed ring: village

Chapter 1

Hero axe: Lex (lake event)

Return staff: Ethlin (talk to Aideen)

Warp staff: Aideen (talk to Dew)

Chapter 2

Light sword: Ethlin (talk to Dierdre)

Thief sword: Lachesis (talk to Dew)

Armor cutter: village

Hero lance: Fin (talk with Cuan)

Knight ring: Lachesis (paladin event)

Pursuit ring: Ardan (event)

Bargain ring: village

Chapter 3

Wind sword: Dew (Blaggi Tower event)

Earth sword: Lachesis (talk to Eltoshan)

Hero sword: Ayra (talk to Lex or Holyn)

Wing clipper: village

Gaeborg: Cuan (talk to Ethlin)

Ichival: Briggid (talk to Aideen)

Rest staff: village

Chapter 4

Hero bow: Midayle or Jamka (talk with Aideen)

Defender: Village (visit with Sylvia)

Hero bow: Midayle or Jamka (talk with Aideen)

Holsety: Levin (Silesia event)

Rescue staff: Aideen (talk with Azel) / Aideen (talk with Claude in chapter 5)

Chapter 5

Tearfing: Sigurd (talk with Vylon)

Chapter 6

Resire: Julia (talk with Celice)

Relive staff: Lana (talk with Julia)

Skill ring: village

Chapter 7

Barrier sword: Village (visit with Laylea)

Hero sword: Celice (talk to Patty)

Balmunk: Shanan (talk to Patty)

Chapter 8

Power ring: village

Thief ring: village

Chapter 9

Berserk: Sharlow (Hannibal event) [?]

Barrier ring: village

Chapter 10

Tearfing: Celice (talk to Palmark)

Magic ring: village

Life ring: Celice (event)

One of life ring or leg ring (kill Ishstar or Julius)

Doesn’t seem to be much there worth missing. The wind sword is a bit far for Dew to reach, same for Ardan getting the pursuit ring. I probably won’t get Sharlow so that rules out the berserk staff.

I still have to figure out who to give the village items to, as well as which bosses actually drop things (item locations doesn’t distinguish). Do listed enemies drop items or must they be stolen?

Eg/ chapter 9 reserve staff obtain from enemy.

It's better to minimize trades since such actions cost money, particularly if we're trying to move something like the knight ring around. Wastes time too, and looks sloppy.

I do just want to hop in and say that Mekkah once said that Lakche doesn't have overkill offense naturally, which would debunk Dew x Ayra to some extent.

Elite would fix that somewhat...which is where shit gets confusing.

Oh, and...

We want Laylea since she fights better than Leen (all of them?) and sports charisma.

Did that not come out right? Sylvia x Herself was supposed to be my way of saying "leave Sylvia unpaired".

Edited by Norton Sez What?

*Looks for a reason as to why the pairing sucks*

One of Dew's skills is overwritten by Elite. I forget which one but it shares the address or something, unless Mekkah was able to find the address that gives both.

Of course that wouldn't matter to the children, as they'd still pick it up from Ayra.

And Holyn!Patty isn't exactly useless. She has to whore the Hero Sword for a while, but she becomes as respectable a fighter as a thief is ever going to be, and it gives her a nice HP buffer (granted, she usually has >100% regardless, but 135% > 105%). I don't see any particularly good reason NOT to do Brigid x Holyn unless you can come up with a better use for Holyn. And I don't really think he's Ayra's ideal under any circumstances unless you're giving the Balmung to Lakche (which is just stupid).

Edited by Renall

I would have to overwrite Dew's Bargain with Elite, but I gave him an Elite Ring in his starting inventory instead (it's not like it can be abused much other than giving the guy an extra 20k when he takes it off, so vykan just has to not do so). I also forgot to give Ethlin Elite, but that has not much consequences other than making it take longer to staffspam her to 30 before she leaves.

There's no excuse for not getting Pursuit Ring with Ardan. He doesn't have a thing to do all chapter, so just Warp him to Heirhein when you conquer it, or let him walk there through the chapter's course. It's far, but he has all the time in the world.

I approve of Fin x Brigid. Pursuit/Elite/Prayer Patty can basically beat whatever arena you want, might even be able to get some field action if you know how to trigger Prayer.

For Fee, while Claude makes it easier to staff abuse both due to higher staff levels, Fee's str is really gonna suck. Hero Lance and Power Ring can go a long way here, of course, and you might want to use Fury full time in gen 1 so no real time for someone like Noish...eh, I'd personally be tempted to pair her with Levin and be done with it, but that means Tiltyu has to go with Azel or something.

Tiltyu/Azel with innate Elite isn't terrible. Arthur will make up for his lack of Holsety by leveling at a fairly decent clip and should get his horse in time for it to matter, then he becomes Azel 2.0 and is alright. Tinny will be trainable, though not as nicely as with Minor Holsety. They'll have Pursuit at least.

I apologize if this has already been mentioned (I haven't read the entire topic), but are there any plans to abuse the Rescue glitch? If so, then definitely pair up Claude and Eden. You'll lose time in Chapter 4 and parts of Chapter 5, but having the glitch at your disposal for all of the second generation would save HUGE chunks of time.

Also, I remember a 5 A rank set of ZSNES movies on ChinaFE. Are those two links for different runs? If so, you might want to look into watching the ChinaFE stuff as well. I'd link to it, but I'm fairly sure it contains the ROM as well. :/

If you're interested in a set of pure speed .smvs to help with something, let me know.