Notice these songs?

Hirondelle

Midna's Desperate Hour

Via Purifico

Both are from a completley different set of games, but it is interesting to see musical similarites, like these, pop up from time to time.

What do you all think? Did one game copy the other?

Wow, very smiliar, VERY similiar, I guess they didn't copy it from that FF, remember that the composer for Final Destination for SSBB is the same one from FF (Don't know which, though).

IIRC, I think you're referring to Nobuo Uematsu. And yes, both of them seem very similar to each other. Although, this isn't the first time I recall hearing a Nintendo music and Square Enix's music being eerily similar.

Composers have certain styles, use certain instrumentation and if they end up churning out gerneric tracks it is hard to tell the difference between the tracks. See also: Motoi Sakuraba. I was able to tell all the tracks Motoi Sakuraba worked in Super Smash Brtos Brawl by the sound of the tracks (due to the instrumments).

But what I mean about gerneric tracks is most of the Star Ocean and Tales of music tracks (along with the millions of other RPGs Motoi Sakuraba has worked on) you could swap or re-use the battle tracks and it wouldn't make any differance.

Though if you want to see "hey those tracks are similar" I thought this was pretty funny:

Well, that has ruined Phoenix Wright for me.

Another case "hey those tracks are similar" is borrowed/shared baselines* like Robo's Theme and Rickroll.

*-From Trapped, an obscure Dance Song.

Most composers would notice that some arrangements sound good and some do not. This equates to basic melodies, over time, sounding similar or even the same without ever knowing of one or the others. Kind of like, after a while, in an 8x8 box, you'll see two separate people create the same graphic without realizing another existed.

True, but it still very surprising that these two songs seem eerily similar.

And yeah, I agree with you guys about the way the music are composed. Which explains why I think one of the overworld music from Golden Sun TLA and one from Tales of Abyss seem very similar (well, at least I think it's similar, regardless of whether or not you agree with me).

Also, the second half of Tales of the Abyss battle theme and the battle theme from Baten Kaitos Origins sounds almost identical. Yeah I know it was made by the same composer but still...

Edited by 21_21