Personal experiance should mean something

luigi bros

I've seen so many times when someone says "I like this unit because the're always good for me. Then he/she gets attacked with "personal experiance means nothing. I say it does mean something. I'm so sick of seeing this reaction. What is so wrong with saying that? If it's a debate I understand. In ranks it makes some sense but not much. If it's an opinion there is nothing wrong with it. I am so against the saying "Personal experiance means nothing.". It means something! It can encourage people to use a unit by seeing people are satisfied with the unit. I say it by know means means nothing.

I'm sure I'm going to be hated and be opposed but my opinion stays. I'm seriously going to be opposed for this.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well its cause personal experience=got lucky and not everyone can be lucky with a character, and since well people debate FE you have to use facts and not any luck factors.

Edited by Jason W.

Would you mind pointing out a few instances of this happening? I can't recall too many people getting bashed for saying "I like X because s/he turns out powerful for me".

ie- You use Roshea/Caeda and he gets more speed/Str than the average when you use him? Thats fine. It doesn't make the character better, but there is nothing wrong with it.

Edited by Robert

Would you mind pointing out a few instances of this happening? I can't recall too many people getting bashed for saying "I like X because s/he turns out powerful for me".

Lilina.

hay guys i got boa to +6 on every single level up, bringing him close to most of his caps...as a paldin

boa for top tier

I don't think that's the sort of thing Luigi had in mind. =\

hay guys i got boa to +6 on every single level up, bringing him close to most of his caps...as a paldin

boa for top tier

I've seen so many times when someone says "I like this unit because the're always good for me. Then he/she gets attacked with "personal experiance means nothing. I say it does mean something. I'm so sick of seeing this reaction. What is so wrong with saying that? If it's a debate I understand. In ranks it makes some sense but not much. If it's an opinion there is nothing wrong with it. I am so against the saying "Personal experiance means nothing.". It means something! It can encourage people to use a unit by seeing people are satisfied with the unit. I say it by know means means nothing.

I'm sure I'm going to be hated and be opposed but my opinion stays. I'm seriously going to be opposed for this.

"I like this unit because the're always good for me."

Actually I've only seen people such response when people say:

"This unit is great because they're always good for me."

The main problem with personal experience is that it can go in almost ANY FUCKING WAY IMAGINABLE. You can say Ross is fucking awesome because for you he's always getting SPD and never having any doubling issues but then at any time, someone can say Ross sucks because he went 20 levels without getting SPD and it's just as valid. So who's right when using that logic? You can't debunk that other person's claim because it is just as valid as yours so in the end, it's an endless loop or a stupid popularity contest and what good is that?

The only thing Personal Experience in FE is good for is recording videos of ludicrous RNG mishaps.

It can encourage people to use a unit by seeing people are satisfied with the unit. I say it by know means means nothing.

That's spreading false information. If Lyre capped every stat possible, that's good for me. However, saying that Lyre is an amazing unit and she always turns out good for me should not be used as encouragement for a person new to Fire Emblem. It will only mislead them.

Actually I've only seen people such response when people say:

"This unit is great because they're always good for me."

The main problem with personal experience is that it can go in almost ANY FUCKING WAY IMAGINABLE. You can say Ross is fucking awesome because for you he's always getting SPD and never having any doubling issues but then at any time, someone can say Ross sucks because he went 20 levels without getting SPD and it's just as valid. So who's right when using that logic? You can't debunk that other person's claim because it is just as valid as yours so in the end, it's an endless loop or a stupid popularity contest and what good is that?

The only thing Personal Experience in FE is good for is recording videos of ludicrous RNG mishaps.

You forgot actually playing the game.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15779

I voiced my opinion here. It also had minor referance to what I mean. I can't find any specific examples right now.

It can encourage people to use a unit by seeing people are satisfied with the unit. I say it by know means means nothing.

That's spreading false information. If Lyre capped every stat possible, that's good for me. However, saying that Lyre is an amazing unit and she always turns out good for me should not be used as encouragement for a person new to Fire Emblem. It will only mislead them.

But if like 5 people say "This unit is always great for me! He's really good!" someone may want to give them a try. Personal experiance CAN have some meaning.

Me, I'm all for using whoever you want. Naturally, I shouldn't go about using my experience to force characters on others and for debate purposes. Still, it doesn't stop me from using folks like Nino, Est, and other folk.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15779

I voiced my opinion here. It also had minor referance to what I mean. I can't find any specific examples right now.

The topic says best, not favorite.

Ignore the fact that I took it as "favorite".

But if like 5 people say "This unit is always great for me! He's really good!" someone may want to give them a try. Personal experiance CAN have some meaning.

What, like Lilina?

Luigi bros, you abuse, which is why you think that these units that debaters find terrible are awesome. To a person who plays normally and doesn't abuse, they are not awesome. That's what they're saying.

Use whoever you want and play however you want. Do not spread false information.

Edited by Ninji

I understand that. But even without abuse eventually the unit will be good. Maybe not awesome but if a unit CAN become good eventually they will. Sometimes just later than others.

But a unit might not be worth it.

Take Est. She does turn out alright in FEDS. However, she also joins way too late to be of any use whatsoever. If you were to abuse the arena, she would seem pretty good. Otherwise, she is terrible.

Saying that Est is an amazing unit because her 20/20 stats are awesome is not a fair statement to make about Est.

As for extremist people who overdo personal experience, just take a stroll by Kainmaster's Youtube account. That guy over does it like a madman. When he's showing good Lughs in order to prove he sucks, something is not right.

Me, I'm all for using whoever you want. Naturally, I shouldn't go about using my experience to force characters on others and for debate purposes. Still, it doesn't stop me from using folks like Nino, Est, and other folk.

It's not supposed to, it's only supposed to tell you how good they are relative to the other. Why is this so hard to get?

I understand that. But even without abuse eventually the unit will be good. Maybe not awesome but if a unit CAN become good eventually they will. Sometimes just later than others.

That can apply to many other units so you have to take into account how useful they are when they start, how useful they are throughout the game and how much effort you have to put into using them. It seems like you're just hellbent on getting others to stop calling a character bad because you like them.

With Est who has horrible avalibility and start, yes. But with Lilina for example who joins in Chapter 8/25 which is over a third of the game it's resonable. If Lilina came when Sophia does then she'll be pretty bad. There are times when it's true like in Est's case but other times like Linde's where it isn't. I'm not determined to get them to stop being called bad. I just want it acknowledged that they CAN be good.

Edited by luigi bros

From the H5 tier list topic:

Characters are either compared though averages, BOTH getting RNG screwed, or BOTH getting RNG blessed

Personal experience means nothing. Just because Roshe gets 20 speed and Barts having 12 strength at 20/20 doesn't mean that you've somehow bested the system and can claim the whole tier list crumbles due to the random nature of level ups. If you absolutely must bring the RNG into level ups, compare both characters as getting poor stats or both as getting great stats, and compare who ends up better in the end.

With Est who has horrible avalibility and start, yes. But with Lilina for example who joins in Chapter 8/25 which is over a third of the game it's resonable. If Lilina came when Sophia does then she'll be pretty bad. There are times when it's true like in Est's case but other times like Linde's where it isn't. I'm not determined to get them to stop being called bad. I just want it acknowledged that they CAN be good.

The main issue with Lilina is that the fanboys won't shut up about comparing her to Lugh. If you actually analyzed the game instead of just remembering the high damage numbers and doubling from your arena abused Lilinas, you'd see why she's more trouble than she's worth.

Again I see it. I'll admit that Lugh can be better. Lugh is much better at dodging and taking a hit. Lilina is better in a power way.

There's probably more to it than that, such as positive/negative utility, etc.