Fire Emblem: World War

Aurabolt

Before I proceed, I just want everyone to know I just finished writing Chapter 9 of this story a short time ago. Also, the story can be read in its entirety at Fanfiction.net HERE if you don't want to wait for me to update on the forums.

~Aurabolt

Summary: A novelization of Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. All Support Conversations from the game will be included (yes, I said ALL). The entire cast of the Serene Adventure series appears in this story as well.

A/N: I'm gonna say this is slightly AU since a few key characters from the story live when they're not supposed to. I'll not say who they are, though. This story will be told from the point of view of both the Fire Emblem Characters and the Serene Adventure cast. Because of how I set it up they don't all come at once.

At the end of each chapter I'll have a mini dossier with info on the Serene Adventure Characters introduced. For those who don't read my profile I am also going to do a Novelization of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as well. In THAT story I'm going to cameo characters from other Fire Emblem games. The most you'll get in this one are weapons and classes from other Fire Emblem Games D

-

Prologue: The Fall of Renais

In an age long past, Evil flooded over the land. Creatures awash in the dark ride ran wild, pushing mankind to the brink of annihilation. In its despair, mankind appealed to the heavens, and from a blinding light came hope:

THE SACRED STONES

These five glorious treasures held the power to dispel evil. The hero Grado and his warriors used the Sacred Stones to combat evil's darkness. They defeated the Demon Kind and sealed his soul away within the stones. With the darkness imprisoned, peace returned to Magvel.

But this peace would not last...

-

Stillness. That was what the two Knights of Renais were feeling as they stood overlooking Renais Castle. One was known as the Sword of Renais, the other a young man who'd recently become a Cavalier. They were on watch for the invasion of the neighboring Grado Empire that was sure to come at any time. Renais' Prince Ephraim took a regiment of soldiers with him and engaged Grado deep in their own land. They and their king knew not why Grado had chosen to invade but they were going to make it perfectly clear that they would not allow the Empire to do as it pleased.

“Sir Altrius,” The younger knight said. “Do you think we'll be able to hold off Grado if they make it this far?”

“Tough to say, Franz.” the more experienced man replied with a slight nod. “I've little doubt Emperor Vigarde is aware that Prince Ephraim is not here. While true our King is more than a match for him in one on one combat well, I can't say for sure if it would be a fair fight IF they invade.”

The sound of an explosion about six feet in front of them got their attention. They scanned the foreground in time to see what looked like a wave of red and gold armored soldiers marching in their direction. “By the Stones...!” Franz exclaimed. A terrible scream alerted them to the skies, where Wyvern Riders flew overhead.

“General Serdic!” a soldier said as he ran up to them. “They came without warning. They've killed all soldiers sent to stop them. What do we do?”

“Go to the castle and warn the King.” he replied. “Franz, I want you to go with him.”

“What about you, sir?” Franz asked as he mounted his horse. At this, Altrius could only chuckle.

“I'm going to show the Grads why I'm known as the Sword of Renais!” he replied as he mounted his steed. He took up his lance—called Olympus-- and motioned for his horse to face the incoming army.

“But, sir--!” Franz exclaimed.

“What are you still doing here?!” the man shot back. “I won't be able to kill them all myself! Go warn the King!” At this, Franz and the other knight set off for the castle. Altrius returned his attention to soldiers in front of him. He spotted Emperor Vigarde and Prince Lyon at the head of the approaching army. “Even if I die trying, you are NOT going any further!” he rode down the embankment and into death's reach. He could see the look of shock and surprise on the faces of the opposing army at the sight of a lone Knight coming to oppose them.

His steed dodged several javelins and hand axes with relative ease. Once he was in range he struck down a few soldiers. As he turned for another pass, he just missed getting decapitated by a swordsman. Once he was steady again, he swiveled his lance wildly, cutting up anyone and everything. Once he built some momentum he charged towards Emperor Vigarde himself. Just before he could get in range a Wyvern Rider swooped down and barred his path. “Let's see how you do against a REAL opponent.” The man remarked from his winged steed.

“I'm in a whole different class than YOU, Moonstone.” Altrius remarked as the Wyvern Rider circled him.

“Are you, now?” the other man asked. “So am I!” He then stooped down, Lance primed to impale its target to his steed. Altrius braced himself for the terrible recoil that was sure to follow.

--

“Make way!” Franz shouted as his horse galloped through the gates of the castle. He ignored the startled looks of onlookers as he headed for the throne room. Upon entering, he reared back his steed, dismounted and knelt before King Fado and Princess Eirika.

“What news do you bring?” he asked.

“My King, Grado's army marches on Renais Castle!” Franz exclaimed. “Sir Altrius sacrificed himself to allow me time to relay this information to you.” The Renaitian king's face fell. Altrius was his younger brother and the man his Shield, Seth aspired to be.

“My King, they are already here!” a soldier said as he burst into the throne room. “They've already breached the castle. They'll be here at any moment!”

“We've lost contact with Ephraim and his forces.” Seth remarked. We can expect no aid from him or his men. You majesty, please escape with the princess while we cover the rear.”

“No.” the king replied. “Order your men to lay down their arms.” Seth opened his mouth to speak but promptly shut it. He waved away a nearby knight to carry out the order.

“Father...?” Eirika asked.

“Eirika, are you wearing the bracelet I gave you?” Fado asked his daughter.

“Yes, I have it right here.” she replied as she displayed the trinket.

“Good,” he said as he waved Seth to his side. “Take Eirika to Frelia. King Hayden is an honorable man.” He turned to face Eirika. “I trust he will keep you safe.”

“Understood.” Seth said as he turned to Franz. “Fetch my horse, and quickly! We haven't much time!”

“Yes, sir!” he replied before he quickly left the room.

“And what of Your Majesty?” the Renaitian Paladin asked, although he was sure he already knew the answer.

“I...I shall remain here.” he replied. “We have long held Grado among our dearest allies, yet now, they attack? I must know why. Am I somehow responsible for this? Have I erred in my leadership? Renais is mine to guide...How could I have failed her so?”

“Father, you can't stay!” Eirika exclaimed, knowing her father would surely die. “You mustn't! If you remain behind, then so shall I!” The sound of heavy pounding got everyone's attention. In just a few moments the Grads would enter the throne room!

“By the stones...!” Seth exclaimed.

“Go now, Seth!” King Fado said as he picked up his sword ans Shield. “Ride! Take her to safety!”

“Father!” Eirika screamed as Seth picked her up.

“Forgive me, your highness.” Seth said as he carried her out of the room. The remaining knights formed a protective wall in front of their liege. Before they could barely get in formation, the doors caved in. Into the room came Emperor Vigarde. Flanking him was his son, Prince Lyon. King Fado recognized the man to his left as a powerful swordsman by the name of Abyssion Highwind.

“Emperor Vigarde, have you gone insane!” Fado exclaimed. ”What is the meaning of this?!”

“That is not your concern.” The Emperor replied. “If you are not going to help me, prepare yourself for the next life.” To further emphasize his point, Vigarde killed two of the armored knights directly in front of him. When the remaining six stepped forward the swordsman to his left slew them all with a single sword stroke. Fado could only watch, horrified.

“No matter what happens to me you will never, NEVER have the Sacred Stone of Renais!” Fado said as he brandished his weapon. “Emperor Vigarde, prepare yourself!” Fado rushed his former friend once he was within striking range he realized his first mistake.

“A foolish move.” Vigarde said before he effortlessly parried the lunge of his opponent. As he allowed Fado to pass, he knocked him off his feet. He then walked past the downed King toward the throne to examine something. “You are not even worthy of my time. Lyon, finish him off.”

“Y-Yes, father.” Lyon replied as he opened a white covered spell book tucked under his arm. He began to mutter the incantations of the spell. Fado watched as the room suddenly became pitch black. Before he could react, he was struck by a violet lightning bolt. “Please forgive me, your majesty...” Lyon whispered as the King of Fado breathed his last.

--

“Quickly, Franz!” Seth said as they galloped out of the castle, Eirika holding on behind him.

“Sir Seth!” A voice said. The group turned to see one of Fado's advisors running towards them. “What has happened?”

“The castle has fallen.” Seth reported. “Sir Midas, where were you?”

“I heard Altrius tried to buy some time.” he explained. “By the time I got there, I could find no trace of him. We can only assume the worst. What of our King?” Eirika bowed her head at the mention of her father. Midas caught this and took it for what it meant.

“His last order was to see the Princess safely to King Hayden.” said Seth.”What of you?”

“Like Altrius and His Majesty, I will try to buy some time for you.” Midas said as he began to glow. The trio watched in amazement as Midas Transformed into a lion. “I will show our uninvited guests WHY I am one to be feared!” He let off a roar as he charged down the road in the direction they just came from. The riders retreated northwest into a narrow mountain pass. Suddenly, Seth stopped his mount.

“Franz, ride ahead and bring word of our coming to Frelia.” Seth ordered his subordinate. “A single rider has better chances of passing unseen by Grado's men. Convey to the throne all that has happened

here and petition for reinforcements.”

“Yes, sir!” Franz replied before charging down the pass.

“Princess Eirika, we must be extremely careful we are not--” Seth said before being cut off by the scream of a Wyvern. The two looked up in time to see a small group of Wyverns circling them. “By the Stones...! Princess, stay behind me!” Seth turned his horse around to face the new threats. He counted three but of them, the center rider appeared to be a leader.

“You there, with the girl.” The man said. “Do tell me: Would that be the wayward princess of Renais?” Seth made no effort to acknowledge his question. As Eirika held on to him the man caught sight of the bracelet on her wrist. “Well, this must be my lucky day! You're a dead man. The wench goes with me.”

“Come try me!” Seth spat as he unsheathed his sword. His opponent laughed as his mount lifted from the ground.

“I am Valter also called the Moonstone!” the man introduced. “You’re just a corpse who does not know he is dead!” He charged forward, looking to make his first blow a fatal one. Seth was barely able to parry the blow. As Valter turned for a second pass he struck Seth in the shoulder, nearly knocking him from his horse.

“Augh!” Seth yelled, barely managing to hang on. “No...not here!” With a sharp jerk of the reins, he rode away. He would have to treat his wound some other time.

“Such terrible wounds, and still he holds to his duty?” Valter remarked with an amused look on his face. “How entertaining. Fly away, little man. Fly away. Try to outrun death. More time to savor the hunt...and the kill.”

“Sir.” Valter turned to see O'Neil and a brigade of axe-wielding soldiers arrive.

“Kill the knight but bring me the Princess unharmed.” he said.

“Yes, sir!” O'Neil replied before he and his men followed after the retreating Renaitians.

--

Seth did not stop until he reached the end of the pass. Here, he dismounted his horse to get a better look down the pass. “I can see no more of Grado's men, Princess.” he said as he treated his wound. “If we've made it this far, we've surely earned a moment's rest. Please forgive my grabbing you so... brusquely earlier.”

“Don't be foolish, Seth.” Eirika replied dismissively. “If it weren’t for you, I would never have made it out of the castle. You are the reason I'm still alive. You have my gratitude.”

“Think nothing of it.” Seth replied. “I'm simply following the orders of my liege.”

Who ever that man was, he was clearly after me.” Eirika remarked. “It's my fault that you received

such a grave wound. Please allow me to--”

“Your highness, I can't allow an injury like this to be an obstacle.” Seth cut in, knowing how her last sentence was going to end. “We have more important matters to attend to. We must press on to Frelia and fulfill His Majesty's wishes.” This made Eirika remember that had father had stayed behind when the castle was under siege.

“I wonder how my father fares alone in the castle.” she said. “Do you think he's safe? And what of my brother on the Grado front? We've heard nothing from him for days.”

“King Fado and Prince Ephraim are both valiant and brave men.” Seth said as he remembered the few times he'd been privileged in seeing the King and Prince in combat. “I doubt even the might of the Grado Empire can hold them in check. More important to me, Your Highness, is that you look to your own safety. How sad the two of them would be if something were to happen to you. We must reach Frelia to ensure the day of your happy reunion.”

“You're right.” Eirika replied as he wiped away a few tears. “Until I'm reunited with my father and brother, I must not despair. Come, Seth. Let us go.”

“Once we cross that bridge, we will be in Frelia, near Border Mulan.” Seth said as he helped her back on his horse. “Let us proceed, Princess Eirika. Your highness, I won't lie to you. This will not be an easy ride. Please take this rapier. If something should happen to me, you must continue to Frelia alone if need be.” The Princess' heart skipped a beat as she accepted the blade. Her brother trained her in the ways of the sword but she never thought she would have to put it to practice so soon.

“There they are!” a new voice suddenly said. The pair turned to see three Grado soldiers heading their way. “Renais Dogs! Where do you think you're going?” Seth saw that all three of them used axes. Although his sword arm was injured, he was sure he could handle them himself.

“Stand back, Princess Eirika.” Seth warned as he let her off his steed. “I shall take care of--”

“It's all right, Seth.” Eirika cut in as she brandished her weapon. “ My brother has taught me something of swordplay. I will stand with you.”

“That I can't allow.” Seth replied firmly. “If something should happen to you, I will have failed His Majesty!”

“And what of you?” she shot back. “Your wound hasn't healed yet. You're going to need all the help you can get. I won't let you say no.”

“Very well, Princess.” Seth replied with a sigh. “Just promise you'll be careful.”

“Of course.” she replied as their enemies approached. One of the men, who appeared to be in charge directed the other two to attack them. Eirika parried dodged her opponent's attack before cutting his belly open. She then ran her sword through his chest to quickly end his suffering. In that moment, she knew that she had just killed someone. She looked up in time to see Seth dispose of the man who attacked him.

“All that's left is their leader...” Seth remarked as she joined him. The two then made their way over to him.

“What was that? Do you think you can take me, wretched lording?” The man taunted. “My name is O'Neil. It's time you high-and-mighty knights learned to respect a true warrior!” he ran up to Seth, Axe raised. “You will be the first to die!” Seth easily parried the blow before cutting his hand off. Eirika chose that moment to move in and run her rapier through his chest. As she removed the blade O'Neil stumbled back in surprise. “What? How...?” That was all he managed to say before he fell, dead. Only then did Eirika let out a sigh of relief.

“Princess, are you injured?” Seth asked, getting her attention.

“Oh, no...I'm fine, Seth.” she replied as she wiped the blood from her rapier.

“But you look so pale...” he remarked. He knew this was her first time in real combat and she had just killed someone. He worried more about the emotional and psychological damage she could suffer.

“This is war, isn't it?” she asked as she rejoined him. “It's not at all like the games I used to play with my brother or Lyon. I never thought...I didn’t know it would be this...savage.”

“Princess...” he trailed.

“Are words useless?” she asked. “Is strength all that matters? It's so sad. Why would the Grado Empire do this? To what end would they start a war?”

“I wish I knew.” Seth replied.

Don't worry, Seth.” she said she she looked him in the eyes. “I won't give in to sorrow. Let's get moving. I'm not broken and I won't stop until I see Renais restored. I won't stop until I'm reunited

with my father and brother.” Without another word, the pair continued into Frelia.

--

Somewhere in Grado, Prince Ephraim received the news he dreaded would come. Renais Castle has fallen. “And what of my father and sister?” he asked. “Do tell me!”

“Initial reports say Princess Eirika escaped and is heading for Frelia.” the Knight replied. “I know not of His Majesty.” The youth's face fell. Assuming the worst, possible scenario, he was crown prince of Renais. With is father gone he would assume the throne.

“I'm only going to ask you this one, Altrius.” Ephraim said as he stood. “Did you see my sister escape the castle?”

“I had to crawl our from under a mountain of Grado bodies but yes, I did.” The knight replied.

“Go to her.” Ephraim said as he looked his vassal in the eye. “I want you to aid her in my stead. Tell her I am doing well and I will see to it that Grado is punished for what it has done.”

“Sir?!” another soldier said in surprise.

“We're not going anywhere, Kyle.” Ephraim replied with a smile. “Ready the men. Tomorrow, we march for Grado Keep.”

--

Pontifex Mansel of the Theocracy of Rausten regarded the message he'd just received with sadness. “If this is true, it is only a matter of time until...no. Rausten will remain neutral. This was is between Grado and Renais and Frelia. It is our best interests to not get involved.”

“Lord uncle, I sense something sinister in the works.” Mansel regarded his niece, L'Arachel with a weak smile.

“As do I.” he replied. “But what could it be? I fear it may be connected to Grado's sudden aggression toward its greatest ally.”

“As do I.” L'Arachel replied. “I propose you send someone to investigate.”

“Are you volunteering?” Mansel asked, although he already knew the answer.

“It will be an honor!” She exclaimed with a smile. “Dozla! Talen! Evelyn! You will accompany me!”

“Yes, your majesty!” Talen replied with a nod.

“At your command.” said Dozla.

“Latona watch over us.” said Evelyn. As the four left to make preparations, a horrible thought crossed the Rausten leader's mind. He only hope his greatest fear wasn't about to become a reality.

--

End Chapter—I mean the Prologue. As you can see, I tacked a few extra scenes on. The first and last should be self-explanatory. The middle one will be revisited when Ephraim's chapter (5.x) comes. Now I will introduce the new Characters introduced this chapter.

Altrius Serdic (Knight Lord): In my stories, he's the Divine Emperor of the planet Pangaea. He's called the Divine Emperor because he his both Emperor of Pangaea and Pangaea's Eternal Champion. His trademark weapon is a Lance called Olympus. It is also the name of the Pangaea Trinity Blade.

In this story, he's King Fado's younger brother. For reasons I'll explain later, he passed his claim to the throne to Ephraim. For those who haven't played Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword (also known as Fire Emblem 7/Fire Emblem: Rekka no ken or just Fire Emblem in the US), that's what Eliwood (Roy's father) promotes to. He also has has Divina from the Serene Adventure series.

Abyssion Highwind (Arcane Swordsman): In my stories he's a Nephilim and a powerful swordsman. Prior to the events of Serene Adventure III: Starry Heavens he was a rival of said story's human protagonist. The two are allies now and recently, he became an Eternal Champion. He can summon a fire dragon named Flamberge. He wields a sword called the Chaos Breaker.

In this story, he's a general of Grado and an acquaintance of Valter's. He appears later as a 'boss' as well. It's said that if he meets his equal in battle, he will change allegiances. What does that mean? You will have to wait to find out. The name of his rank will be revealed later. His class is an original one two other original characters also have. He is able to use Dark Magic, summon Flamberge and wield the Chaos Breaker.

Midas Kyomora (Laguz): In my stories he's the king of the continent Starry Heavens (the site of my third book—Serene Adventure III: Starry Heavens) and son of the king of Kyomora. He has the ability to transform into a Lion, allowing him to fight without artificial weaponry.

In this story, he's one of Fado's advisors and is also the father of Talen and Evelyn. He stays in Renais for reasons that will be revealed much later. He also maintains his ability to shape shift. For those who didn't play Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, in both games you can get party members who can transform into various forms (like Hawk, Cat, Lion, Tiger, Dragon, etc.).

Talen Toss (Warrior-- Reaver): In my stories, he's Midas' firstborn son. During the events of Serene Adventure III: Starry Heavens he became Kyomora's Eternal Champion and took up Kyomora's Trinity Blade—an axe called Retribution.

In this story, I made him a knight of Rausten who accompanies L'Arachel. He starts as a Warrior but promotes to Reaver, a third tier class introduced in Radiant Dawn. He still has Retribution but it's not as powerful as it is in my stories.

Evelyn Toss (Cleric-- Bishop): In my stories, she's an octuplet, Talen's sister and one of Midas' four daughters. She learned how to heal people from her mother and hopes to one day be a doctor like one of her aunts.

In this story, I made her a cleric of Rausten who accompanies L'Arachel. She starts as a Warrior but promotes to Bishop.

You'll notice I didn't name a few people connected to the ones listed above. All the family ties will remain preserved here but for the sake of spoilers I am holding off naming them until they make their appearance. For example, Abyssion has a wife and two children and all of them are in this story. I just won't name them until they actually appear. The same goes for Talen's mother and Grandfather.

Chapter 1 coming soon!

-

Chapter 1: Escape!

-

“Princess Tana, Grado's forces are approaching!” A soldier reported as Frelia's princess arrived at their boarder with Renais.

“So soon?” she asked in surprise. “Ah, we've had no time!”

“Milady, we lack the arms to defend this place.” her bodyguard, Hannah remarked. “You must return to Castle Frelia.”

“I can't!” she replied. “Not yet. We haven’t found Eirika and her companions yet. Eirika is my friend and she needs my help. I won't abandon her.” She recounted the news that lone soldier of Renais came—Franz, was it?--and the news of the fall of Renais. Upon hearing Eirika was making her way to Frelia, she stole away with Hannah to meet her at the boarder.

“What would you propose we do?” Hannah asked.

“Oh, I know!” Tana replied after thinking a moment. “Go and ask Father--I mean King Hayden--for more troops.”

“Yes, Your Highness!” Hannah said as she mounted a horse. “I shall be back soon. I trust the rest of you to keep your highness safe.”

“With our lives!” A soldier replied with a quick salute. As Hannah rode away, Tana returned her attention to the plains overlooking Renais.

“Eirika, please be safe.” she whispered.

--

A few yards away from the boarder castle, a Grado spy was reporting his findings to his commanding officer. “Commander Breguet, the enemy appears to be fortifying its position in the castle." he began. "I saw a sword wielding soldier stationed at the gate and two archers on the second floor of the castle.” Breguet regarded the report with a grunt.

“They're tenacious, but they have no hope of stopping our advance.” he remarked. “Renais has already fallen. It's only a matter of time before Frelia does as well.”

“What are your orders, sir?” the man asked. Breguet simply stared at him as if he were asked what day it was.

“'Orders?'” He repeated. “You just stand here and watch. I'll crush them myself!”

“As you command, sir.” the soldier replied as Breguet started for Mulan. Frelia originally built the boarder castle as a garrison to defend against bandits. The knights of Frelia prided themselves in the fact that since its construction, the Mulan has never been occupied by a foreign army. The Grado commander brandished his lance as he approached the lone guardsman. The Frelian shook as he stood face to face with what was no doubt a powerful adversary. He swung his sword at Breguet but the sword bounced off his armor, causing no harm to its wearer. Breguet grinned as he noted the panicked look in the guard's face. He raised his lance, swiveled it and then ran it through the guard's chest. As he removed it the man fell, dead.

“That's what happens when you face my lance!” Breguet said with a laugh as his underlings broke down the gates. He and his mean slew all knights who would opposed them. As he entered a second floor room he came across a young woman who appeared to be a noble.

“St-stop right there!” she exclaimed as she meekly held a thin lance. “Call off your forces and turn back or you'll have me to deal with!” At this, Breguet's underlings threw their heads back and laughed.

“Is that so?” the Grado commander asked with an amused look on his face. “And who might you be?”

“I am Tana, Princess of Frelia.” she replied as she held her ground. “I will not permit you to abuse my country any longer.”

“Frelia's royal brat, huh?” he remarked. “How convenient...”

“Leave this castle immediately." Tana continued. “If you harm me, my father and brother will chase you to the earth's end. “

“Yes, I've heard of how King Hayden dotes on his precious little daughter.” Breguet said as an idea came to mind. “Let's see how true that is. You’ll make us a fine hostage, my dear. Seize the girl and lock her up!”

“With pleasure, sir.” a soldier said as he and another approached her. She swung her lance and cut his face.

“You bitch!” he spat as he held his wound. Before she could turn to face the other, a third soldier snuck behind her and disarmed her.

“Let me go!” she screamed as she was tied up.

“Yes...I think I might have some fun with this one!” Breguet said with a laugh as he stroked her face, at which point Tana promptly spit in his. He raised his hand to hit her but stopped himself. “Take her away!”

“You'll never get away with this!” she said as two Grado soldiers took her to the castle's holding cells.

“Sir, refugees from Renais have been spotted in the distance.” a soldier reported. “One of them appears to be the missing princess.” Breguet's face creased into a sinister grin. Capturing Frelia's princess would no doubt earn him a promotion. Capturing Renais' princess would undoubtedly make him a very wealthy man.

--

“Seth, look...” Eirika gasped as they gazed upon the garrison before them.

“I see it.” he said with a nod. “It seems like Grado's army has already reached Frelia. Princess, this place is perilous. We should bypass Mulan altogether and head straight for Frelia Castle.”

“But we can't just ignore this...” The Renaitian Princess trailed. “You were there when Renais was invaded. You saw what I saw. You saw how the people suffered at the hands of Grado's soldiers. Homes were destroyed, possessions stolen, women kidnapped. Anyone who resisted was executed without question...without hesitation...” Seth gave no response, as he knew his liege spoke truth. If not for his duty and injury he would charge over and chase away the Grado interlopers.

“Please, Seth.” she continued. “I can't allow that to happen here. I don't want to see any more people harmed by Grado's atrocities.”

“All right, Princess.” Seth finally said as he let her dismount. “I understand. Perhaps we can retake Mulan but Princess, you must act with caution. Your people need you, too.”

“Of course, Seth.” she replied with a smile. “Come on! Let's go!” The pair moved closer so they could better ascertain what they were up against. Seth counted three soldiers with axes, an archer and an armored knight guarding the gates of the castle. The knight's appearance told him he was directing the Grado soldiers here.

“Let's see what we can learn from those houses.” Seth suggested as he spotted two nearby cottages.

“I'll take the one on right.” said Eirika. “You get the left.” As she approached the house she spotted an elderly man standing outside. He appeared to be watching what was going on.

“That knight encamped at the castle was wearing the finest armor I've ever seen.” he remarked. “It looked like it could turn aside almost any blade you swing at it. I know my armor, though. I wager a good Rapier or Armor Slayer could get through it.” Eirika made it a point to remember that as she gripped the hilt of the Rapier sheathed at her side. She met up with Seth a short distance away.

“The man at the house told me my Rapier should be effective against the enemy commander.” she reported.

“And I learned that our best bet at defeating him would be to lure him away from the gates of the castle.” Seth replied. “So long as he remains there, he has adequate protection from most attacks.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Eirika asked. “Let's get to work.”

--

On a ridge overlooking the valley, three soldiers representing two nations observed the battle underway. The princess of Renais and one of its Generals were engaging the Grado soldiers who occupied the boarder castle.

“Sir Gilliam, is that Mulan?” the youngest of the three asked. “Have we reached Frelia's border already?”

“Aye, we have Franz.” Gilliam replied as he scanned the battlefield. “Her Highness Princess Tana should be inside the castle. Isn't that right, Hannah?”

“Yes, but look -- the countryside is crawling with Grado soldiers!” the female swordfighter exclaimed. “Where's the castle guard? Has Mulan fallen? Are we too late?”

“Too tough to say from here.” Gilliam replied, knowing fully well what Hannah was implying. “Princess Tana's in no danger if they want her as a bargaining tool. We men of the Eastern Watch will see her to safety.” As if on cue, a brigade of Frellian soldiers appeared beside them.

“Yes, of course.” Franz piped up. “We mustn't give up. We must move. We must retake the castle. Then, we ride forth to Princess Eirika's aid.”

“I've stronger armor then you two.” Gilliam said as they started down the embankment. “I'll take point. Watch my back.”

“Yes, sir.” Franz replied as he fell in line with Hannah.

“I've found them!” a new voice suddenly exclaimed. The three turned to see a brigade of Grado soldiers had arrived from Renais. “Stragglers from Renais! Don't let them get away!”

“I'll take care of them.” Hannah said as she drew her sword. “The rest of you, meet up with Eirika.”

“As you wish.” Gilliam replied as he, Franz and the accompanying Frelian soldiers headed over to the castle. They arrived just as Eirika and Seth reached the gates—and the Grado knight guarding it.

--

“Bah, what a worthless lot of curs I've been assigned.” Breguet remarked. “Once again, I must do everything myself!”

“Give it up while you still can.” Seth ordered. “Throw down your arms and your life will be spared.”

“Grado soldiers don't surrender!” Breguet replied before he suddenly lunged at Seth. Before the knight could react, Breguet struck the same wound injured before, reopening it. He jerked back and nearly fell from his horse from the intense pain.

“Seth!” Eirika exclaimed in horror. Before he could fall, a pair of hands steadied him. Seth turned to see Franz and several knights from Frelia had arrived.

“Is that you, Franz?” he asked in amazement. “I'm relieved to see you're still in one piece!”

“Yes...and you as well, General.” he replied as he steaded his commander. “As long as you lead is, sir, the Knights of Renais cannot lose!”

“Franz, you and I must work together to protect Princess Eirika.” Seth said as he replaced his sword with his lance. “I want you to ride with us. “

“With honor, sir!” Franz replied. “Princess Eirika, it is good to see you're well.”

“Franz, you made it through unscathed.” Eirika remarked.

Yes, Your Highness!” he remarked as she addressed him by name. “I met up with Sir Gilliam and Lady Hannah of Frelia and explained the situation in Renais. They told me that Princess Tana was in danger as well, here at Mulan. We rode as swiftly as we could.”

“Tana is here?” Eirika asked in horror. “Franz, we must hurry!”

“Understood!” he replied as he and Seth positioned their steeds between Eirika while Gilliam took point.

“Who will be first?” Breguet demanded as he pointed his lance at Eirika. “How about you?”

“With pleasure.” a second female voice said as Eirika opened her mouth to speak. In the next instant, someone jumped over Eirika and Gilliam and plunged their sword into Breguet, piercing his armor...and his heart. It took Gilliam half a second to realize it was Hannah--Tana's bodyguard.

“This...this can't be...” Breguet said as Hannah removed her sword from his body. “I...” With that, he fell to the ground, dead. With the danger now passed, they cautiously entered the castle. A sweep revealed there were no soldiers inside. They found Tana where where the Grado soldiers locked her up.

“Princess Tana...thank Latona you're safe!” Hannah said as she untied her.

"Lady Hannah and Sir Gilliam...I’m sorry.” she said as she wept. “I never meant to cause you such trouble.”

“It was no trouble.” Gilliam replied with a smile. “I live to serve, Princess.“

“Tana!” Eirika said, getting her friend's attention. “What on earth are you doing here?”

“Is that really you, Eirika?” Tana asked as she finally let go of Hannah.

“Tana, what are you doing, so far from Castle Frelia?” Eirika asked. “You could have been killed! Do you know what your father will do when he finds out?”

“I..I heard that Renais had fallen and I was so worried.” she replied as she fought back tears. “But I'm glad to see that you're safe. Wait! Where is Ephraim? Is he well?”

“I wish I knew.“ Eirika replied dejectedly. These were questions she sought to know the answers to as well.

“You haven't heard from him, either?” Tana asked. “Oh, I hope he's not been harmed. Come, we must go to Castle Frelia. My lord father may know something.” Eirika looked up in surprise before she shot Seth and Franz a look. Perhaps Ephraim went to Frelia when he learned of the fall of Renais.

“Thank you, Tana.” Eirika said as they embraced.

“Thank you for what?” Tana asked in surprise.

“Everything.” she replied. With that, the two princesses and their respective vassals headed for Frelia Castle. Eirika only hoped she would receive news as to what became of her father and brother.

--

And so part one of Chapter 1 ends here. I will split chapters if their dialog demands it. Below is info on Tana's bodyguard.

Hannah Patterson (Arcane Swordsman): In my stories, she's a female swordsman who took up training in the ways of the Ninja. In terms of power she is equal to Abyssion and two others. She can also summon a diamond-covered dragon named Saphira and wields a sword called the Pangaea Edge.

In this story, she's Tana's bodyguard. Not much is known about her past but it is rumored she has family in Grado. Her class, Arcane Swordsman is basically Swordmaster, Sage and Summoner combined. She can summon Sapphira and wields the Pangaea Edge. Abyssion and one other have this class to boot.

Ok, so Chapter 2 starts the Chapter after the next sub-chapter XD

-

Chapter 1.x: Into Harm's Way

-

Eirika and her companions have liberated the border castle. Alongside Princess Tana of Frelia, they ride to the Frelian capital.

-

As Eirika and her companions entered Frelia Castle, they all heaved a sigh of relief. Considering everything that had happened today, it was a wonder they'd reached their destination at all. Servants, soldiers and denizens of Frelia were hurrying about. While most of them went about their business, Eirika caught a few glances sent her way. It would come as no surprise Frelia's citizens knew of what happened to Renais.

“Wait here while Hannah and I give father a report of Grado's latest actions.” Tana said as they stood in the hall outside the Throne Room. The Frelian Princess took a deep breath and let herself in. As the pair walked down toward the throne, the knights that lined the room snapped to attention. They knelt before their King, or in Tana's case—father. He motioned for them to rise.

“Oh, Tana... I'm grateful to see that you're safe and home again!” King Hayden said as he threw his arms around her. “You've no idea how I worried when I heard you were under attack at Border Mulan. You are not to leave the castle again without my permission. Do you understand?”

“Don't be mad, Father.” Tana replied with a smile. "I come bearing good news. Princess Eirika survived the fall of Renais. She's waiting in the hall with two of her knights.”

“Did she, now?” King Hayden asked in amazement. “That's wonderful! Hannah, do tell me what happened at Mulan. How could this have happened?”

“The fault is mine, Your Majesty.” she replied as she stood. “When her highness snuck away from the palace, I refused to let her go unless I accompanied her. When we arrived at the boarder the Grads were already emerging from the conquered Renais. Our Frelian Knights could barely hold them off and I left to petition your majesty for reinforcements. That's when I chanced upon Sir Franz of the Renais Army and Sir Gilliam. Fearing the worst, we returned to find the Grado soldiers had taken the castle—and Tana as well.”

“As you can see, I made it unharmed.” Tana cut in. The king held up his hand, signaling for her to stop and Hannah to continue her report.

“When we arrived, we joined the Renaitian princess and her escort and routed the Grado soldiers occupying Mulan.” said Hannah. “The boarder is once again under Frelian control. Unfortunately, sixteen Frelian soldiers died during the fight and eight more were wounded. Before we departed for the palace, we gave them a proper burial and burned the bodies of the Grado soldiers. I have here a list of the soldiers who perished.” Kind Hayden regarded the document briefly before handing it to the servant standing to his left. The servant nodded before leaving the room.

“Oh, dear...this is indeed unfortunate.” The King said as he stood. He looked at the various paintings and artifacts that represented the history of Frelia. His eyes rested on the portrait picturing Frelia's most famous heroes: Vidofnir, Nidhogg and the lance and Bow named for them. They fought in the battle against the Demon King 8 centuries ago and served Frelia's first king. “Grado's actions will not go unpunished. When Innes returns from Carcino, he will lead a legion of our finest in battle against the Grado Empire.”

“Your majesty...” Hannah trailed.

“Emperor Vigarde will answer for the atrocities he has committed.” The King continued. “His army's attack on our boarder is a declaration of war against Frelia. As King, it is my duty to do everything within my power to protect my people. If you would Tana, please send Eirika in to see me.”

“Yes, of course.” she replied as she walked over to the door and peeked into the hall. “Eirika, my father will see you now.” As they came before him, King Hayden knew words were useless in describing all that they had been through in such a short time. They bowed before him before Eirika rose to speak.

“King Hayden, I am pleased to see you again...even in these sad times.” Eirika said. “My father, King Fado sends his regards.” Without saying a word, he stood and opened his arms to her. Almost involuntarily, she fell into them. He caught the faint smell of blood on her clothes.

“It does my heart good to see you safe.” Hayden said as he shed a tear. “Oh, the horrors you've had to witness...”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Eirika replied, her voice breaking. “I was able to escape the castle before Renais fell, but I'm not sure if my father...” Hayden pulled away at the mention of his dear friend. He turned from Eirika, unsure if he could enunciate what he was about to tell her.

“Yes..I have received word of your father.” he finally said. Eirika caught the sudden change in his demeanor and her heart sank. Still, she had to hear it.

“Your Highness,” she began. “Please tell me. Is my father well?” At this, everyone in the room looked in shock as the King of Frelia knelt before the Renaitian Princess.

“My liege!” Hannah exclaimed. “Please, stand!”

“Let him speak his heart!” Seth suddenly said. He could tell the news they were about to hear was what they had all feared the most.

“My friend King Fado...did not survive the fall of Renais Castle.” Hayden said as he looked Eirika in the eyes. “Reports say he was killed by Grado's Prince Lyon.”

“No, it cannot be...” Eirika trailed...in shock at what she'd just heard. “No...no...!” She turned and wept into the shoulder of the person standing next to her. It happened to be Seth. He winced as she leaned on his injured shoulder before gently rubbing her back with his other arm.

“Rest assured, Grado will be punished for its cowardly act.” Hayden continued as he stood to his full height. “This is Frelia's promise. Eirika, please stay here and rest. I cannot imagine how exhausted you must be.” She gave no response as she slowly regained her composure. For her benefit, Seth gave no effort to show his relief that she was no longer putting pressure on his wound.

“King Hayden,” Seth suddenly said. “You know of Prince Ephraim's disappearance, do you not?” Eirika whirled around upon hearing her brother's name.

“Yes, we hear the prince and his men hound Grado at every turn.” The Frelian king replied with a smile. “It's said that he's led his forces into the empire itself. Reports suggest he's crossed the border and now fights in Renvall.” Seth and Franz exchanged a look of amazement. Seth knew Franz's older brother Forde was with Prince Ephraim. This was certainly good news for him.

“My brother...he fights on?” Eirika asked in amazement. “Even now?”

“Yes.” Hayden replied. “My pegasus knights bought this information at a great price. Even though Renais has fallen, he charges into the enemy's heart. He is truly Fado's son! What a valiant youth. I wish I knew weather he remains unharmed, but I do not.” At this, Eirika knew she could not stay in Frelia as her father wanted.

“King Hayden, I thank you for your offer, but I cannot stay.” She said before adding “I intend to ride to my brother's side with reinforcements.”

“I cannot allow it.” he replied firmly. “I know how you feel but this plan is suicide. I would be betraying Fado's memory if I allowed any harm to befall you. Stay here, Rest and mourn. Leave this war to the warriors.”

“King Hayden speaks true, your highness.” Seth remarked. “It would be in your best interests to remain here.”

“I know you mean well, Your Majesty...and Seth.” Eirika interjected. “However, I have lost my father and my twin brother is in peril. My brother...he is a part of me. He was with me in our mother's womb and been there for me as long as I can remember. I cannot rest here in peace while he risks his life.”

“No...Renais has no more army.” Hayden replied firmly as he noted Seth and Frelia. “Grado's forces decimated it. If your late father and the Sword of Renais have fallen in battle, what chance would you have against Grado?”

“Eirika, please think about this!” Tana exclaimed. “If something happened to you, what would Ephraim think? He would be sad and so would I!”

“What would you do if Innes was in trouble?” Eirika asked her friend.

“I'd ride my Pegasus to his aid with great haste.” she replied with an afterthought. “I doubt he would help me in the reverse case, though.”

“At the least, please spend the night in the castle.” said Hayden as he signaled some of his servants to come forward. “Some rooms were prepared for your arrival.”

“As you wish.” Eirika replied with a bow. “On behalf of Renais, you have my thanks.” She turned and exited the throne room, flanked by Seth and Franz.

“She's still going to go look for Ephraim, isn't she father?” Tana asked.

“Yes, she is.” he replied with a hint of sadness. “I understand her need to be with her brother but to go at such a time...”

“Perhaps you would rest easy in knowing she won't be going it alone, your Majesty.” Tana and Hayden turned to see a lone knight enter the room. He walked over to the throne and knelt before the Frelian King. “With my life, I will see Eirika safely through her quest to be reunited with her brother.”

“Lord Altrius Serdic!” Tana exclaimed in shock. “We heard you were dead! How did you survive the fall of Renais?”

“I fought through dozens of Grado's best.” he replied. “As I rode away from Renais Castle I chanced upon Prince Ephraim. He asked that I accompany Princess Eirika until they are reunited. I'm sure he won't expect their reunion to be so soon.”

“Indeed.” Hayden remarked with a smile.

--

The rooms prepared for Eirika and her knights were spacious. Eirika had her own room while Seth and Franz shared a room. Hayden's personal physician treated Seth's wound. He was pleased to see the wound was healing well. Franz was fast asleep in one bed. Seth was busily cleaning the blood from his armor. Knights of Renais practiced being tidy and as part of being a knight of Renais, it was a good idea to keep their armor free of anything that could get into the ridges.

“Seth?” The Renaitian General looked up with a start as Eirika entered the room.

“What brings you, Princess?” he asked. “It's late. Shouldn't you be resting?”

“How fare you, Seth?” Eirika asked, ignoring his question. “Ever since the castle fell you have been protecting me, despite your own injuries...”

“Would that I could have served you better, my lady.” he replied. “You were not meant to see such things. Father Moulder—King Hayden's personal doctor—treated me. My wound has closed up and it does not affect my lance arm.” he picked up Franz's lance to further emphasize his point.

“Wait.” Eirika suddenly said. “Show it to me.” Before Seth could protest she began to unwrap his bandaged shoulder. “Look. The wound has closed, but it has not yet fully healed.” The two shared an awkward look before Eirika turned so he could redress the wound.

“W-What made you think of this, my lady?” Seth managed to ask.

“Your fighting is as superb as ever, Seth.” She remarked. “But when you raise your lance, I see a flicker of pain on your face, as if you were merely enduring it but it only lasts a moment. Perhaps it is all just my imagination...” His face fell. There was no question the injury hurt but for her sake, he did his best to hide the pain. It seems he'd failed in this endeavor.

“Your Highness, please put your mind at ease.” Seth said as he turned to her. “I told you, my wound has been healed by Hayden's personal doctor. There is no reason to worry--”

“I would if I could Seth.” Eirika cut in. “Please do not overextend yourself. I beg this of you. Without you, I may not be able to continue this quest.” Before Seth could respond, she turned and hurriedly left the room.

“You praise me too much, my lady...” he trailed. “I would gladly die if it means you may live.”

“Good to hear, my boy.” a new voice said. Seth looked up as a familiar figure entered the room. “Because if you're thinking what I think you're thinking, you're going to have to earn it.”

--

Eirika walked back to her room feeling flustered. She saw her vassal to make sure he was alright and she made him uncomfortable. She could only imagine what he was thinking right now. She valued the lives of the people who fought to keep her safe. She only hoped what she had done wasn't taking things too far. A sudden knock caused her to jump. “Come in.” she said. In the next moment Tana walked in and shut the door behind her.

“Eirika, you don't really intend to go through with this, do you?” she asked as she sat on the end of the bed. “I can't guess how you must feel, but its' just too dangerous. What would happen if you were captured by Grado's men?” Eirika didn't need to think about it considering what had just happened to the Frelian princess. She knew her fate would be far worse.

“Thank you for your concern Tana but I have no choice.” The Renaitian princess replied. “Don't you see, Tana? I have to go.”

“Eirika...oh, why is this happening?” Tana asked as she threw her hands up. “What's gone wrong with the world? Why would Grado invade Renais? Emperor Vigarde is a man of peace. His people adore him. You and Ephraim are friends with Prince Lyon, are you not? What could be behind this madness?

Why is this happening...” Eirika closed her eyes as she reflected on the whirlwind of events that had occurred in so short a time.

“I have no answers for you, Tana.” she finally replied. “I don't want to believe it, but the reality is that we are at war. If I do nothing, I mat lose my brother as well as my father. This is why I have to fight.

It's the only answer I have.” The two embraced as they thought of the blood that had been spilled and the blood that would spill before this war reached its conclusion.

--

The next day Eirika, Seth and Franz met with King Hayden and some of his advisors in a conference room. Also present was Tana, Hannah, Gilliam, Moulder, and a green-haired woman they did not know. Eirika noticed an empty seat between Seth and King Hayden.

“I wish Frelia could provide you with support...with soldiers but my son, Innes is on his way to meet the empire's forces.” Hayden began as everyone turned their attention to the map before them. “He is currently engaging Grado's army at our boarder with Renais. We cannot spare a single brigade. Your own retinue of knights cannot possibly face Grado alone. Are you so determined to go?” Eirika cast a look at her retainers.

“I will go along with whatever you decide.” said Seth. “My life is yours to command.”

“As is mine.” Franz said before adding. “If I may be bold, your highness, if I was in your position I would ride to the aid of my brother, Forde.” She couldn't help but smile before returning her attention to King Hayden.

“Yes,” she said before adding “With apologies.”

“As resolute as your father and uncle, eh?” He remarked with a dejected sigh. “What am I to do in the face of such foolhardy determination? Vanessa. Moulder. Gilliam.”

“Here, your highness!” Vanessa replied.

“Yes, my king?” Moulder replied.

“Yes, sire?” was Gilliam's response.

“You are to accompany Princess Eirika of Renais into Grado territory.” Hayden explained. “I expect each of you to provide aid and support for her and her brother.”

“Hmm...quite a grave responsibility you've given us.” Moulder remarked.

“No matter the obstacles, we will perform our duty.” Vanessa replied with a respectful nod.

“Our lives are yours.” Gilliam said to Eirika.

“These are some of my most trusted and stalwart vassals.” Hayden said to Eirika. “They will, no doubt prove themselves quite valuable on your journey. Remember, you are venturing behind enemy lines. You will need supplies. I will have a supply convoy readied to carry your weapons and provisions at the castle gates. It will remain at your side no matter how far afield you venture.”

“That's not all.” a new voice said. Everyone turned as a man walked into the room and sat in the empty seat. “I, too will be accompanying you, Princess.” Eirika could only look at her uncle in shock. “I'm glad to see you, too.” he opened his arms as Eirika threw her arms around him.

“King Hayden, I...thank you." Eirika said as tears of happiness streaked across her face.

“No...save your thanks for your return with your brother, Prince Ephraim.” Hayden replied with a satisfied smile.

“Yes, Your highness.” said Eirika as she returned her attention to the Frelians who would be accompanying her. “We will be leaving for Renvall in two hours. Please take this time to get what you need and say goodbye to your families.” The meeting adjourned, every rose to make their preparations.

--

“King Hayden has provided us with 5,000 Gold for supplies and provisions.” Altrius remarked as he, Franz and Seth waited with the supply convoy. “I promise you this: Grado will pay for what it has done.”

“Just how did you escape Renais, anyway?” Franz suddenly asked. “When I left you, it was as if the whole Grado Empire had come!”

“That's what I thought as well.” The Renaitian Lord replied. “I had to crawl from under a pile of dead Grads. When I emerged, I saw that Renais Castle had fallen. Not wanting to be an easy target for any lingering Grado archers, I crawled as far as I dared before I rose to my feet and ran from the battlefield...eventually ending up here.”

“That's incredible!” Franz exclaimed in amazement.

“Indeed.” Seth remarked. He couldn't put his finger on it but something was odd about his story. Either that or he was thinking too much. Considering the Sword of Renais was indeed alive and well, what more could possibly matter?

“Seth?” he looked up to see Eirika, Altrius, Franz and their Frelian allies staring at him. “What are you doing?”

“My apologies,” he replied before adding “I guess I'm just glad to see Lord Altrius is back with us. So, Franz, how are you holding up?”

“Fine, considering the circumstances.” he replied. “I may be young but I'm every bit a Knight of Renais. I'll fight to the end of protect the princess just like you, sir!”

“Good, good!” Seth replied with a satisfied smile. “That's the spirit! You know, you're looking much improved from when we first set out.”

“Do you really think so, General?” Franz asked in surprise.

“Oh, definitely.” he replied. “You seem much more sure of yourself. All doubt has left your face. By the time you reach my age, you'll be the finest spear and swordsman around.”

“Honestly...?” Franz asked in amazement. “Sir, do you really believe that?”

“I do.” Seth replied with a nod. “Just concentrate on the enemies before you and don't get too cocky.”

“Yes, sir!” Franz said with a salute. “You know I'd never let you down, sir!”

“Don't be too eager for success.” Seth warned. “Know your limits. If you're in need of help, don't hesitate to ask.”

“Y-Yes, sir!” the younger knight replied.

--

The young swordsman stared at the bandits he just slew with distaste. “Any man who would dare harm a lady is unfit to call himself a man.” he spat.

“Bless you!” the relived woman exclaimed as she hugged him. “Would you please honor me with the name of my rescuer?” The man thought for a moment before answering.

“Sure,” he replied before adding “I'm Joshua but you can call me your knight in shining armor.” The young lass swooned at his reply. After bidding her farewell, he went on his way to quickly get out of the area. He knew the Grads were searching for Renais' princess and didn't want to be caught up in whatever politics ignited this war.

“You're quite skilled.” a new voice said. Joshua turned to see that someone had witnessed his act of kindness. The woman wore the attire of a Grado soldier but she did not appear armed. “I can see that you, too do not stand for unjust acts of violence.”

“I'm listening.” Joshua said as his hand moved from his sheathed sword. The woman smiled warmly as she drew closer.

“You don't appear to be from around here.” She remarked, pointing out the obvious. “Are you a mercenary?”

“Eh...something to that effect.” he replied. “What's the job and how much are you offering?”

“Actually, I was thinking something more...long term.” she replied as she handed him a paper. When he looked at it he realized it was a commission as a soldier of the Grado army. “My name is Selena Flourspar. I'm a general of the Grado Empire. I could use a man with your unique...talents.” Joshua remembered hearing an old friend of his from a guild they were in together joined the Grado army. Last he heard, he was making quite a name for himself, too.

“Heads or Tails?” he asked her.

“Excuse me?” she replied in surprise.

“Heads or Tails?” he repeated as he took a coin from his pocket and threw it into the air.

“Heads!” she said before it hit the ground. They looked and saw that she called it right. She looked at him, unsure of what was to happen next.

“Where do I sign?” he asked, much to her relief.

--

And so Chapter 1 is now done. I decided to throw in the scene above to explain how Joshua got mixed up with the Grado Empire and at the same time explain an optional conversation from Chapter 2. That's gonna be coming up...soon. Easter Egg Hunters may have noticed I threw in two support conversations from the game. I want to make it clear that ALL support conversations will be in this story. It wouldn't be a proper novelization without them, yes?

In regards to pairings, the only pairings I've decided as definite are Franz/Amelia, Colm/Neimi and Arthur/Lute. That's about it. Reviews might influence the other pairings and so forth and so on.