Runic alphabet in FE

VincentASM

Just something I noticed recently. While I was messing around with FE8, I was staring randomly when I noticed the curious symbols in the menu screen:

rune1.png

I always assumed they were random runes, but then I wondered if they had more meaning - a bit like the galldr in FE9/10. It was then that I noticed the most obvious runes:

rune1a.PNG

If you use your imagination a little and count the number of runes, the highlighted runes spell out "Fire Emblem". Now, this isn't actually the first time I've seen "Fire Emblem" spelled out in rune - I can't actually remember where I've seen it, but I get the impression it was at the back of a GBA FE guidebook or some book anyway.

Just in case I was jumping to conclusions, I looked up some runic alphabets (such as Elder Futhark and Anglo-Saxon runes) and most of the runes do appear to spell out "Fire Emblem", although it seems Intelligent Systems uses some variation that I don't know of or they altered some of the runes randomly (eg. I can't seem to find the correct symbol for R).

Unfortunately, the second-most obvious runes don't seem to spell out anything interesting. I'm not completely sure what it says, but it looks like "Simong" or something (and I was thinking it might be "Seima" as in "Seima no Kouseki").

While I'm here, some people probably also know that runes are used somewhere else in FE as well, more specifically in FE9/10. The names of the two races of Tellius, Beorc and Laguz, are both names of runes - Beorc means Birch and Laguz means Lake. Ironically, Mannaz (which became Zunanma in the English version) means Man.