Prayer skill and the arena

Tables

I recently put Sylvia in the arena (why not? I have savestates), and she somehow managed to win (first attempt) when fighting level 3, Lovin - whom she dealt 3 damage to with a 66% hit rate (out of 41 HP) and died in 2 hits to a 70% hit rate. After the battle I noticed Sylvia had prayer, which would increase her avoid by 80% if it does what it appears to do. So my question is, really: How does prayer work in the arena - is it a permanent boost for the battle, a boost for 1 round of combat, or no boost at all?

Here is a savestate of the battle - It's on the english translation patch so you'll need that to run it. (probably)

It only works for that fight. In the next fight it can activate again but it won't still be active since they will go back to max HP. If you enter the arena with 10 or less HP it doesn't work.

Anyone with Prayer has no excuse not to beat the entire arena.

1) Try to win normally. If you don't, you end up at 1hp, and take note what damage your opponent does

2) Heal your unit so that some amount of hits brings them into a strong Prayer range (the lower your hp, the better obviously)

3) Profit.