Ah, the hilarity of Saturdays

Aurabolt

Here's a series of emails between me and the admin yesterday. Note how calm he is vs. me, who is extremely irate. To understand the e-mail, start from the bottom and work your way up. For obvious reasons I removed my IP addresses.

Everything works now.

Give me the guy's address so I can kick his ass, will ya?

I have to admit: I was convinced I was the only guy in Boston who uses Serenes Forest, let alone likes the Fire Emblem series XD

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 22:58:47 -0400

Subject: Re: Ok what did I do?

To: XXX@hotmail.com

Okay, I found the problem. Apparently you live in the same general area as Destiny Hero. This could be anywhere between a 50-100 mile radius, so. I narrowed the region I banned a little more, so it should no longer affect you. Sorry about that.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM, Joshua Moore <xxx@gmail.com> wrote:

Are you able to view the forums when you're not logged in?

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Brendan Thomas <XXX@hotmail.com> wrote:

Still no dice. I've tried Firefox, IE, Opera, Google Chrome and even Netscape. I tried using my DSi and my Wii and I wasn't able to get in, either. Wierd >.>;

I usually can get into sites I've been IP banned from via my Wii, DSi or DS Lite Browser normally. I must tip my hat to you if I was unable to XD

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 18:16:47 -0400

Try accessing the site now. Also try using different browsers, and a different computer in the same house. Your IP isn't banned, so I don't know why it would deny you access. Likewise, your account isn't banned either.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Brendan Thomas <XXX@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sorry about that, try this:

XXX.XXX.X.XX

You may need to combine it with the number I gave you before. Oh and no, I don't give out my SSN over the internet. I actually use Hide My IP and other such programs (for my computer's been hacked in the past). I should've made myself more clear before >.>;

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 15:01:49 -0400

That IP isn't really your IP for the internet. That's your local area network (LAN) IP, and I need your wide area network (WAN) IP. The only thing that IP tells me is that you've got a router, and your computer is the 107th slot, unless of course it's a school network. And your WAN IP is public information - saying you treat it like your social security number is wierd and impossible, unless you give out your social security number to every forum you've ever posted on.

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Brendan Thomas <XXX@hotmail.com> wrote:

My IP's XXX.XXX.X.XXX and please, I treat my IP the same as my Social Security Number.

This is the message I get: [#2000] You are not allowed to visit this forum.

I've IP banned people from my own forums (which has most of the same coding as yours) and have had a similar case. Considering I was IP banned from 2 websites in 45 mintues my initial "reaction"...is to be expected.

Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 21:21:40 -0400

From the sound of it, your IP is dynamic, and you've been assigned an IP that is close to a well known troll among the forums you go to. If this is the case, tell me what IP you're using, and I might be able to accomodate you, or tell you how to change it. However, first I need to know what message you're getting that gives you the impression that you've been banned.

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Brendan Thomas <XXX@hotmail.com> wrote:

This is the 3rd website whose forums I've been banned form in the last hour without warning or explanation. This is Aurabolt, by the way. The who doesn't matter or the duration but I am inclined to know what I did for it. I've been reviewing the last 12 posts I made on the forums as well as my sig and as far as I know this is unexpected.

If this is permanent (and I'll assume that's what it is if there is no reply) I'd like to request the little I've contributed to the website REMOVED or the author's name changed/removed. I don't like having my name attached to something I did for a site I was banned from. I do believe this request is within reason.

Edited by Jyosua

I have to admit, things like this are what I do NOT miss about administration. XD

Indeed. This isn't the first time I've gotten an email saying WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I WAS BANNED FOR NO REASON XD

@Aurabolt, I noticed you now tried to remove your email, but you forgot to remove it from the instances where I quoted you, so I fixed it for you.

Thanks, Joshua =D

That happened to me once on FESS. It lasted about five minutes before I ran into the chat shouting "WHOEVER IP BANNED SOMEONE IN MY AREA FIX IT PLEASE" while I pawed at the screen.

I've noticed about 60% of accidental IP bans involve bots who use IPs with very subtle differences from actual members in the area. On one site, the webmaster IP banned HIMSELF because he had to IP ban two people who lived within half a mile of his place. With help from another staff member he was able to undo the IP ban.

Well, this is why administrators need to understand basic networking. What's your ISP? Does your ISP block by location (like most) or is it a totally dynamic IP (like AOL)? If you're taking out a /24 block, how many people could be affected? Do you even know what a /24 is? It's things like this that prevent accidents from happening, but even then they happen from time to time.

Well, this is why administrators need to understand basic networking. What's your ISP? Does your ISP block by location (like most) or is it a totally dynamic IP (like AOL)? If you're taking out a /24 block, how many people could be affected? Do you even know what a /24 is? It's things like this that prevent accidents from happening, but even then they happen from time to time.

For those less technologically inclined, a /24 block basically means, when you take an IP address, for instance, the fictitional 255.255.255.255, if you were to ban a 255.255.255.0/24 block, you'd be banning everyone with an IP starting in "255.255.255", e.g. 255.255.255.0, 255.255.255.1, etc...

I can provide a better explanation for what the 24 stands for, if anyone wants to hear it.

Funny that accidental IP bans are mentioned. On another forum I went to, I had an accidental ban happen to me. I can't remember the specific but I think it happened two years ago, sometime after another member was banned himself. Luckily the accidental ban didn't last very long.

For those less technologically inclined, a /24 block basically means, when you take an IP address, for instance, the fictitional 255.255.255.255, if you were to ban a 255.255.255.0/24 block, you'd be banning everyone with an IP starting in "255.255.255", e.g. 255.255.255.0, 255.255.255.1, etc...

I can provide a better explanation for what the 24 stands for, if anyone wants to hear it.

Actually, I'll save you the work and put it on the others:

Google up CIDR ranges if it's important to you.