Briggid X Lex?

Big Klingy

Regarding the pairing section of the FE4 guidebook. Most of them were the pretty standard ones I often see suggested, but then I see Briggid X Lex as a recommendation.

I've never heared of that pairing before, and I'm wondering if it's any good. Could someone provide me with info.

And if anyone has a translation of that segment of the book, it'd be much appreciated.

well, I've only played FE4 once myself; granted I didn't do this pairing myself but let's take a look at what it'd give us

Briggid, sniper with major Ulir, well she's not bad herself but her true weakness is she has no skills to pass (Pursuit being a class skill for archers and snipers in this FE)

her children are Patty and Faval; Patty's a thief and Faval's a sniper, now, since we'd be pairing these units to get them obviously, Patty wouldn't have any skills other than her thief's Steal and Faval will always have both Pursuit (class skill) and also his mother's Ichival since he inherits her holy blood and items. So, Faval's pretty hard to screw up as none of his bases greatly improve or are gimped from any particular pairing, but we should try to help Patty a bit, ya? Well, Lex would pass his minor Neir which does help her and her brother's defense, and his skills are usually welcome to anyone as he has Elite and Ambush to pass on. Well, Elite would help Patty lv faster and her growths wouldn't be poor but Ambush really isn't doing her any major favors since in this FE it can only trigger when your HP is less than half. Patty is still too frail regardless of the defense growth boost at first so Ambush isn't really making a major difference for her as her str will still take a while to become anything good. Faval can become a little more tanky with that defense in a way but his defense cap isn't high enough (22) to warrant the extra growth as without it he'd still reach it or get very close without much difficulty. Ambush doesn't mean much to this guy who has a ton of HP and plenty of luck to dodge things, plus with Ichival boosting his strength and speed, he should be killing anything he attacks will little effort and so that goes to waste. Elite is also far better off on units that might actually need the exp to be more useful. Patty has her uses but money will rarely be that big of an issue in the 2nd Gen if at all due to the arena and also having the thief sword around or w/e. If you really want Patty to fight, then she really needs an offense boost and something better than C swords, Holyn's a very nice choice particularly since his Holy Blood will at least boost her sword rank and she might pull of Luna now and then and actually kill something!

Now, I'm not saying BriggidxLex is bad, any motherxLex really doesn't end up bad cause extra defense is nice but Briggid's children really shouldn't be taking hits at all in the first place and that's why it loses out to others; also Lex's growths outside str and defense aren't that spectacular, and Patty will always be meh in thse stats regardless, but just remember that Elite is still very awesome and worth giving to at least one set of children so you don't have to trade the elite ring around quite as much and Briggid could do worse than Lex (in Patty's case anyway, Faval is next to impossible to screw up so it's all up to you)

and Cyas gave the short version above

well, I've only played FE4 once myself; granted I didn't do this pairing myself but let's take a look at what it'd give us

Briggid, sniper with major Ulir, well she's not bad herself but her true weakness is she has no skills to pass (Pursuit being a class skill for archers and snipers in this FE)

her children are Patty and Faval; Patty's a thief and Faval's a sniper, now, since we'd be pairing these units to get them obviously, Patty wouldn't have any skills other than her thief's Steal and Faval will always have both Pursuit (class skill) and also his mother's Ichival since he inherits her holy blood and items. So, Faval's pretty hard to screw up as none of his bases greatly improve or are gimped from any particular pairing, but we should try to help Patty a bit, ya? Well, Lex would pass his minor Neir which does help her and her brother's defense, and his skills are usually welcome to anyone as he has Elite and Ambush to pass on. Well, Elite would help Patty lv faster and her growths wouldn't be poor but Ambush really isn't doing her any major favors since in this FE it can only trigger when your HP is less than half. Patty is still too frail regardless of the defense growth boost at first so Ambush isn't really making a major difference for her as her str will still take a while to become anything good. Faval can become a little more tanky with that defense in a way but his defense cap isn't high enough (22) to warrant the extra growth as without it he'd still reach it or get very close without much difficulty. Ambush doesn't mean much to this guy who has a ton of HP and plenty of luck to dodge things, plus with Ichival boosting his strength and speed, he should be killing anything he attacks will little effort and so that goes to waste. Elite is also far better off on units that might actually need the exp to be more useful. Patty has her uses but money will rarely be that big of an issue in the 2nd Gen if at all due to the arena and also having the thief sword around or w/e. If you really want Patty to fight, then she really needs an offense boost and something better than C swords, Holyn's a very nice choice particularly since his Holy Blood will at least boost her sword rank and she might pull of Luna now and then and actually kill something!

Now, I'm not saying BriggidxLex is bad, any motherxLex really doesn't end up bad cause extra defense is nice but Briggid's children really shouldn't be taking hits at all in the first place and that's why it loses out to others; also Lex's growths outside str and defense aren't that spectacular, and Patty will always be meh in thse stats regardless, but just remember that Elite is still very awesome and worth giving to at least one set of children so you don't have to trade the elite ring around quite as much and Briggid could do worse than Lex (in Patty's case anyway, Faval is next to impossible to screw up so it's all up to you)

and Cyas gave the short version above

Thanks for the info, but I wasn't really asking for advice, I just want to know why the book recommended it. (since most of the other pairing suggestions in the book are at least decent)

The key to Lex x Brigid isn't just that Elite makes Patty twice as fast to promote (which turns her from atrocious to good at fighting), but also Ambush. You'll notice that Patty starts with a Sleep Sword in the second generation. Ambush + Sleep Sword is a guaranteed arena win as long as you replay often enough. Every time you lose the arena, you end up at 1hp, and you can just keep on trying to sleep the opponent (Ambush always makes you go first in the arena at low hp).

To Faval, it doesn't do much, but as was said Faval can't really be helped or screwed over by any pairing.

Ambush + Sleep Sword is a guaranteed arena win

The Sleep Sword alone is a garanteed arena win, already.

Back to topic... an unusual suggestion, since most people reserve Lex to Ayra - IIRC, even Kaga himself preferred it. I guess Elite helps both kids, who also enjoy high defense; However, this pairing has the same shortcomings as Jamka x Bridget: low skill and no straight inheritance.

I can't translate it without a scan.

The swordie kids never have low skill, if you meant that. They just cap it later.

Not if you are outsped and OHKOed, which happens to Patty/Leen sometimes. Or even if you just miss and die, and then you end up at 1hp. Or don't end up sleeping in time. Basically you need Ambush for infinite retries.

The swordie kids never have low skill, if you meant that. They just cap it later.

Briggid X Lex?

Not if you are outsped and OHKOed, which happens to Patty/Leen sometimes. Or even if you just miss and die, and then you end up at 1hp. Or don't end up sleeping in time. Basically you need Ambush for infinite retries.

You can always load and manipulate the RNG (lolbattlesaves). Unless they're getting OHKOed by an enemy with 100% hit and higher AS (not exactly a common scenario), they're able to win any arena fight if they have the sleep sword with them. It may be easier with Ambush... just like it'll be easier with higher STR, Luna or anything else that boosts their performance in battle.

I'd be more worried on top of the fact that the sleep sword is damned expensive. Like so much, she spends whatever winnings she has repairing it all the times she would, due to how weak she is versus the arena enemies. Lucky she's a thief so she can steal on the field, but so much for giving it to other people...