Soren

Micaiah > Soren.

Red Fox, I'd put a bit more work into that comedy routine, if I were you. :lol:

Ah, you didn't get? This is one those jokes that's funny because of how true it is. It's like when comedians just talk about how things the way they are, only they make it funny.

That's what I like to do, but sometimes simply telling the truth isn't enough. I'll take your suggestion and work harder.

On a serious note, I was serious. Soren isn't terrible, he's just not that good. And, personally, I don't like him either.

@Oujay: Soren's HP caps at 50.

@Sasori: You only get the option to choose between knives and staves in PoR.

As for magic being crappy in this game, I think PoR's was worse mainly due to that there isn't anything between the D ranked tomes (Elwind/thunder/fire) and the A ranked tomes (Tornado/Thoron/Bologanone), apart from those long-ranged ones. Besides, the enemies in this game actually have decent resistances, when compared with enemies in PoR.

In fact, the only crappy magic tomes in RD seem to be the non-Thani light-based tomes. Which is why I don't rate Micaiah very high at all.

BEXP anyone? Soren is basically the best candidate for it, capping three stats at -/10. Not to mention his defense deficit is less of a problem because he's with a group that can actually protect him when necessary.

Thus, he statistically murders Micaiah. Her utility as a healer for the DB during part 3 and thani-bombing during part 1 does give her quite an edge though. I still think Soren is better but she's very, very close.

In fact, the only crappy magic tomes in RD seem to be the non-Thani light-based tomes.

Thunder magic is much worse than Light. It's heavier and has horrible accuracy.

Edited by Kupo

Then... wouldn't Dark be worse? I mean, freaking Fenrir has 20 WT. Jesus Christ. With 9 ATK and 60 HIT to boot. Sure, only one Dark tome, but damn. Balberith rapes though.

But for BEXP, you can say that about anyone. You could say that about freaking MEG.

Why waste it there when you can actually spend some BEXP in better units such as Oscar or Boyd. Besides, saying he's the best mage for it is like saying one would be the best Armor Knight for BEXP.

Sure, they're there, but they suck anyway- what's the use.

The BEXP point is well-made for Normal Mode, but Normal Mode only, where there's actually enough BEXP to make Soren a good unit. Level him to -/10, BEXP him to -/20 (or earlier), crown him at the beginning of 3-4, and you have a unit that will more or less rape everything until Endgame (where his SPD fails him). With staves, too, no less.

Oscar and Boyd as a rebuttal to that is nonsense. Oscar's window for BEXP abuse is very small, and mostly used to squeeze an extra point of STR out for himin tier 2. Boyd's BEXP abuse potential does not even exist until like 5 levels before the level ceiling in tier 3, because his growths are very good, and his bases are such that he doesn't cap easily.

The only unit that's better in Part 3 for BEXP abuse is Nephenee, and if we're talking Normal Mode she already had her turn at the trough in Part 2.

Fuck Soren.

One of the most overrated characters in the series in gameplay, personality, and even looks. I put him in the top 5 most overrated FE units.

"Oooo I am the son of Ashnard and the grandson of Dheginsea, I am so badass!"

Soren never said anything to that effect... ever. As far as anyone knows, Soren never even found out about his ancestry.

His mother certainly didn't tell him. All she ever said to him was "What is your name?" and "I'm sorry I called out to you like that; I was confused." And given Soren's reaction to seeing her (or rather, his lack thereof), it's safe to say that he didn't recognize her as she recognized him.

Edited by Paper Jam

Then... wouldn't Dark be worse? I mean, freaking Fenrir has 20 WT. Jesus Christ. With 9 ATK and 60 HIT to boot. Sure, only one Dark tome, but damn. Balberith rapes though.

Except, Thunder consistently sucks (Thunder, Elthunder and Arcthunder... all of them are worse than their Fire/Wind/Light counterparts). I just tend to ignore Dark, but you do have a point.

But for BEXP, you can say that about anyone. You could say that about freaking MEG.

No, you couldn't. Meg never caps three stats (that's usually when units are considered BEXP-able) until 20/20/14, which she will never reach.

Why waste it there when you can actually spend some BEXP in better units such as Oscar or Boyd. Besides, saying he's the best mage for it is like saying one would be the best Armor Knight for BEXP.

I didn't say he's the best mage for it; he's actually the best character for it. Capping those 3 stats so early means you can BEXP him the rest of the way, as Interceptor said. You don't even need to go all the way - he'll cap SPD within 3-4 levels of BEXP, and then you can crown him. As I said, neither Oscar nor Boyd (nor any other character I can think of right now) caps three stats so early, which is what makes Soren great.

The BEXP point is well-made for Normal Mode, but Normal Mode only, where there's actually enough BEXP to make Soren a good unit. Level him to -/10, BEXP him to -/20 (or earlier), crown him at the beginning of 3-4, and you have a unit that will more or less rape everything until Endgame (where his SPD fails him). With staves, too, no less.

Yes, I was referring to Normal mode. That's exactly what I just did in my PT.

The only unit that's better in Part 3 for BEXP abuse is Nephenee, and if we're talking Normal Mode she already had her turn at the trough in Part 2.

I don't think it's reasonable that she'll gain 11 levels in Part 2, although you can BEXP her one level earlier (at 11, when she caps two stats). But you might as well wait one more level so that she caps three stats. Thus, she'll probably be BEXPing at around the same time as Soren.

Edited by Kupo

I don't think it's reasonable that she'll gain 11 levels in Part 2, although you can BEXP her one level earlier (at 11, when she caps two stats). But you might as well wait one more level so that she caps three stats. Thus, she'll probably be BEXPing at around the same time as Soren.

There is no real point in a strict adherence to some "three stats" doctrine. The fact of the matter is, there is a strong connection between 1) the stats with the highest growths, and 2) stats that are likely to cap first. The meaning of that is, BEXP'ed levels will help you to more quickly hit the prime level for BEXP'ing. In Nephenee's case, the stats that she is mostly likely to gain on a level-up are far and away SPD and SKL. You're cooking with fire as soon as those two cap. RES won't be far behind, and then it's a nice spread of HP/LCK/STR/DEF all the way to tier 3.

As for whether it's reasonable for her to gain a bunch of levels in Part 2, that depends on your definition of "reasonable". Realistically, if you feed her killing blows in 2-1 and 2-2, get maximum BEXP in 2-3, and dump most of that BEXP into her at the start of 2-E, she's going to land in Part 3 at or near Sentinel. She'll be second-fiddle only to Haar, because of his mobility. Yes, I just said that she'll be better than Ike.

Since the Part 2 BEXP vanishes until 3-9 from the perspective of the CRKs and 3-11 form the perspective of the GMs, there is a huge cost to not using it on someone who teleports to 3-2. I consider the BEXP dump to be reasonable for that reason.

In fact, the only crappy magic tomes in RD seem to be the non-Thani light-based tomes.

Thunder magic is much worse than Light. It's heavier and has horrible accuracy.

I've never noticed it since, when I play, Soren seems to have consistenly high accuracy (90%+) using thunder tomes.

Ilyana on the other hand, is a different matter altogether...

Dark consistently sucks too. Besides, only people who can use it that are playable are Pelleas, with a MAG stat 23 (Less than Sanaki lol) of and Sephiran, who doesn't appear until 4-E 5.

Plus, Pelleas can only use Thunder for another Tome and can't even use staves until promotion, and Sephiran can only use Light magic- which we know, anything not named Thani should be sold.

Dark consistently sucks too. Besides, only people who can use it that are playable are Pelleas, with a MAG stat 23 (Less than Sanaki lol) of and Sephiran

Remember though, that he is at 2nd tier when you first get him (his 3rd tier magic cap is a respectable 39, which is slightly less than Sanaki's 40).

and Sephiran can only use Light magic

But you just said that Sephiran could use dark magic... :blink:

Edited by NinjaMonkey

I like Soren, he is always my Wind Sage. Ilyana turned out better then him

I gave both of them the same treatment. I BEXP Abused them both from level 20/9 to 20/21. They both turned out great :) (Yes, I know PE means nothing)

Edited by Bryan