Files not working

Psych

I downloaded the patch and the rom and patched them. But when I try to load it it says it's an unsupported format. The files are zipped if that helps, but when I unzip them, they no longer work. Any ideas?

By the way this is for FE 4.

Edited by psychout50

I'm not sure what you meant by the files not working after you unzip them. Can you explain that a little more? To patch, the ROM and patch file must both be unzipped.

When you refer to "loading", are you loading the emulator or a patching program?

The emulator will not load them and displays the message, Unsupported File. The patch seems to have worked, but if I unzip the programs I just get a bunch of text documents that do nothing.

Can you list all the files that you get after unzipping everything?

You should have at least a .smc file and a .ips file. If you've got those two, you'll want to patch the .ips file to the .smc file and then load the .smc file on your emulator to play it.

I have an FE 4 .ips file and .smc file and extracting it. I tried patching the .ips fil to the .smc file, but I got the Unsupported message again. Then I rezipped the 2 folders and it still didn't work.

Hmm, I'm running out of ideas.

Are you using a patching program like IPSWin to do the patching? Have you tried using auto-patching, which certain emulators like ZSNES have enabled?

In any case, I'm sure I've heard of this error before, but I can't remember what the fix for it was D:

Hmm, I'm running out of ideas.

Are you using a patching program like IPSWin to do the patching? Have you tried using auto-patching, which certain emulators like ZSNES have enabled?

In any case, I'm sure I've heard of this error before, but I can't remember what the fix for it was D:

If you need to know, no, I'm using Lunar IPS and using VirtuaNes as my emulator.

There's your problem. VirtuaNES is for NES games. FE4 is an SNES game.

Oh. I thought it was like how Wii can play Gcube games and GBA can play GameBoy.

Um but a second problem arose. I downloaded ZSNES, repatched the file, and tried to play. Still in Japanese, and Crashes at the first Screen. I think I not meant to play FE 4.

Edited by psychout50

Well, the NES is the predecessor to the SNES, so it's not surprising a NES emulator won't play SNES games : P

Anyway, this sounds like a simple header issue to me. Try downloading SNESTool and independently adding and subtracting the header. One of those two options *should* do the trick (I can never remember which one it is).

Oh. I thought it was like how Wii can play Gcube games and GBA can play GameBoy.

Um but a second problem arose. I downloaded ZSNES, repatched the file, and tried to play. Still in Japanese, and Crashes at the first Screen. I think I not meant to play FE 4.

You might want to try a different emulator like SNES 9X.

and...

You might want to try a different patcher like IPSwin.

Edited by Ayanami

You might want to try a different emulator like SNES 9X.

and...

You might want to try a different patcher like IPSwin.

The patcher doesn't matter.

The patch, the rom and the emulator, however, do.

For the record, it plays just fine on ZSNES, so it's most likely not an issue there. Vincent's solution should be sufficient.

• 2 weeks later...