Fire Emblem StarCraft mod

Wist

Some of the members who frequented the IRC channel at around the beginning of this year learned that I was experimenting with the construction of a mock Fire Emblem game in StarCraft. Originally I had intended for it to be completed by January 1st, then later April 20 (the date on which the first Fire Emblem game was released in Japan). Ultimately... I discontinued the project. It was tedious, I was having to create awkward work-arounds for poor design decisions made early on, and my interest waned into nothingness.

After recently playing around with another random, senseless project that most probably no-one will ever play and making a few videos of it, I decided to dig up the aforementioned Fire Emblem mod and record a video of it showing what I had managed to accomplish. Maybe I just don't want to feel like the effort was 100% wasted. It was supposed to play like a one versus one (player versus player over LAN or Battle.net, no AI) Fire Emblem game except the manner in which units move across the map was adapted from that of Valkyria Chronicles, both because grids are frustrating to work with in StarCraft and I thought it would be more fun to play. There are functioning triangles (sword > axe > spear, wind > thunder > fire, and infantry > magic > mounted), and there are different hit rates (which aren't displayed but they're static and I have them saved in a buried Notepad document). The mod is more complete that it probably looks; all I had left to do was finish the last few battle animations, enable the resumption of normal play on the map after each battle, add custom voice clips, make the dancers and clerics function as they should, and perform some debugging (the attack system is unreliable, especially for magic), but that could potentially have taken another twenty or thirty hours to complete and I've never felt the inclination to resume the project.

Maybe a few members here will find the demonstration video somewhat interesting, it is at least related to Fire Emblem. Should anyone who chooses to watch it have a sufficiently fast enough connection speed, I suggest watching it in high quality so that the notes I make through StarCraft's chat system while playing can be read.

Edit (2009.10.12):

The sound is off sync, but it's not as bad as it is in some of my recordings....

Edited by Wist

That's impressive work you done there Wist. (I think using Warcraft 3 editor would probably let you do a bit more, than the starcraft editor, considering if you have the game and if you do want to import your project to Warcraft 3.)

WarCraft 3's editor is much less restrictive, but in my inanity I find enjoyment in creating obscure workarounds for StarCraft to accomplish whatever ridiculous tasks I set out to achieve. I'm also too cavalier to consider touching a WarCraft game, but perhaps I'll have fun with StarCraft 2's editor next year.

WarCraft 3's editor is much less restrictive, but in my inanity I find enjoyment in creating obscure workarounds for StarCraft to accomplish whatever ridiculous tasks I set out to achieve. I'm also too cavalier to consider touching a WarCraft game, but perhaps I'll have fun with StarCraft 2's editor next year.

You plan on doing something like this with Starcraft 2's editor?

Also, the gameplay reminds me of Reblestar: Tactical Command.

Edited by General Spoon