What the hell?

Yeah, like I said in the subtitle, call me stupid but have I seriously missed something going on that I wasn't active for?

Would someone mind explaining to me why THIS fountainbymarcelduchamp.jpg, always pops up when I type his previous and well-known name?

I'm honestly not trying to start drama, I just wanna know what the fuck the deal is. ._.;

Edited by WyvernSageLord

This particular object is a piece of "art" by the famous artist, Marcel Duchamp (google images and you'll find the urinal in question, among other works). He is credited for coming up with the idea of "readymade objects" where an ordinary object, even something like a urinal, becomes artistic when put in a gallery setting. The experience of being in a gallery forces the viewer to appreciate the item's aesthetic qualities rather than it's mundane qualities. That's the theory, anyway; personally, I felt it was more like he was taking the piss and making a satire of it; pointing out how the gallery scene can glorify the trite and inflate the importance of the inconsequential. Anything can become art if you can convince someone that it's artistic.

Edited by Blackbird

So I'm art if I walk in to a gallery and tell people how good I look?

Yes. If you can make a convincing enough argument that you're a piece of art in an art gallery, then you can become art, according to Duchamp. Heck, some people might even think you were doing performance art if your acting was affected enough.

Guys, Jyo did this right after a certain thread I made in this very forum. That should be a big hint as to WTF is going on right there.

I won't give you the middle, but the end is I was trolling spammers.

I think a mushroom cloud is artistic.

Anyone at ground zero being burned to death by it would disagree completely, but it's all in your perspective.

I really like the ones with the white rings spreading away from them :D

(Probably the absolute worst kind right?)

I think a mushroom cloud is artistic.

Anyone at ground zero being burned to death by it would disagree completely, but it's all in your perspective.

I really like the ones with the white rings spreading away from them :D

(Probably the absolute worst kind right?)

Now that I think about it I completely agree with you they do look really cool (from a safe distance of course)