Set Weapon Levels

Hash Jar

What do you think of this idea? I'm contemplating it for a FE7 hack I might do now or later.

There are only 4 weapon levels; D, C, B, A.

Everyone has a set weapon level from the beginning depending on how many weapons they can use promoted. A is worth 6 Points, B is worth 4 Points, C is worth 3 Points, and D is worth 2 Points. They can only have a max of 12 points for 3 weapons and 9 points for 2 weapons. Any class with only one weapon set gets the +15 Critical skill. Unpromoted units just get one level lower in each weapon. For example:

A Paladin that can use three weapon sets would have; A (6) Weapon1, B (4) Weapon2, D (2) Weapon3 or A (6) Weapon1, C (3) Weapon2, C (3) Weapon3 or B (4) Weapon1, B (4) Weapon2, B (4) Weapon3.

A General that can use two weapon sets would have; A (6) Weapon1, C (3) Weapon2 or B (4) Weapon1, B (4) Weapon2.

Everyone who uses one weapon set just gets A and the +15 Critical boost or some other special thing. Any generic enemy would just get the full B set up. Any thoughts or ideas?

Edited by Rafael

I'm trying to make a really diverse weapon set for each set. Like what FE4 had to offer for swords. Weapons that boost stats and such like the Defender and Barrier swords. I'm also adding the Poleax and Greatlance.

Wouldn't a max of 10 points be fairer for two weapon levels? It hardly seems fair that 3 weapon levels can go for A, B, D but 2 weapon levels can only get A, C.

Actually, I wouldn't even make a fixed weapon level set for people to have. Utilise these new 'fixed' stats; give some people great weapon levels but worse stats to make up for it (e.g. Marcus and other prepromotes), while new recruits have a lower weapon level but better stats (e.g. Rebecca).

Still, your hack, your choices.

The thing is in my current hack everyone starts out promoted because the hack is short... for a later hack maybe but for now it's like that. If I were to change it I wouldn't have any bad characters anyway as I try to shy away from that. Even prepromotes would be good.

About it being "unfair." That's just the plus you get for getting three weapon sets. Your option would leave me with just A, B which would be unchanging and boring. Plus D weapon set isn't that good at all, but it would give WTA when needed. My weapon set right now looks C > B but B + D > C. It's because of the addition of Greatlances and Poleaxs which have a beast Steel.

Edited by Rafael