I hate WinRAR

Psych

I guess this would go here...

I was trying to download Monsho no Nazo or however you spell it and I had to download WinRAR. Now every file I download for my other Fire Emblem

games are WinRAR and don't work. I thought deleting WinRAR would help but that just made it worse. Any ideas?

I don't completely understand, but are you trying to stop WinRAR from associating your files?

If you're using Windows, open up a folder, find Tools at the very top and select Folder Options. Then find the filetypes associated with WinRAR and delete their entry.

If that doesn't work, you *might* need to uninstall WinRAR via your control panel, if you haven't already.

I used it once to open a single file, and now it accessed them all and now they don't to patch a file, run on an emulator, or anything.

The sad part is my folders don't have the tool option at the top and I can't figure out how to delete something via my control panel.

Hmm, I still don't really understand anything ^^;;;

I mean, it doesn't sound like anything that I'd expect from using WinRAR.

Can you do a few Print Screens of your problematic errors and upload them for me to see?

Edited by VincentASM

Hmm, let's see what I can figure out.

• Images 1 seems to be you using LunarIPS. I can't seem anything going wrong there, since you're not doing much in the image.
  • Image 2, I notice something odd. You have two files that are both 2,720 KB in size - I'm betting they're both the FE4 ROM still in their archive. FE4 should be around 4000 KB (4 MB) when extracted, so it looks like you still need to extract it.
  • Image 3, I don't know what you're doing there. I know you're trying to do something to LunarIPS...
  • Image 4, it looks like you're trying to open the patch by double-clicking it. You don't do that, you use LunarIPS.
  • Image 5, more or less the same comment for Image 1.

The conclusion I've come to is that somehow you've mistakenly gotten WinRAR and LunarIPS mixed up, or you're using them incorrectly (you don't use WinRAR on LunarIPS or the other way round).

WinRAR is a program that extracts ZIP, RAR files and etc. You use it to extract files if they're stored in a ZIP or RAR file, like your two files in Image 2.

LunarIPS is a program that patches files. To use, all you need to do is open it, choose the file you want to patch (this file must be extracted, see my note on WinRAR) and then choose the file to patch it with (eg. the IPS file from Image 4).

Apologies if you knew all that already, since you managed to get FE4 to patch. However I can't think of much else that you could be going wrong with ^^;;;

Edited by VincentASM

That sounds more like a user error. Hate yourself.

This. PEBKAC.

You are trying to open a file with a ZIP folder... That doesn't work. LunarIPS.exe must be extracted from the ZIP archive before it can be executed. Assuming you used the default install of WinRAR: Right click LunarIPS.zip -> Extract Here.

Or just get 7zip, and remove WinRAR from your computer completely. They're the exact same thing, except 7zip is a lot easier to use.

Right click on the file you wish to extract -> 7zip -> Extract Here.

Much easier than WinRAR, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...