Questions about fe5

Narga_Rocks

Are there any translations out there that more fully translate the menus? I mean, it's great that the translation to which this site has a link seems to translate all the speeches and a couple of menus, but I'd much rather all the different menus were translated. Like the battle preparation menus and the unit screens and things like that. And all the battle options.

Also, can you send stuff to supply during a chapter? Or is the only way to clear out a unit's inventory (before chapter 8 or after) to drop stuff (losing it) or find a supply house on the map (if there is one) and deposit items there? I suppose probably not and I'm stuck with using only whatever empty spaces I have when starting a chapter for taking stuff from enemies (unless there is a supply house during the chapter that I can reach before needing more space).

Also, can you send stuff to supply during a chapter? Or is the only way to clear out a unit's inventory (before chapter 8 or after) to drop stuff (losing it) or find a supply house on the map (if there is one) and deposit items there?

The only other way besides that is to pick up an item from say... a village while having your inventory full. You'll be asked to send something to the supply.

Managing space is tricky if you're heavy on capturing and taking items... makes you wish Merlinus with movement was in this game instead of FE7.

Edited by Vergil

Also, can you send stuff to supply during a chapter? Or is the only way to clear out a unit's inventory (before chapter 8 or after) to drop stuff (losing it) or find a supply house on the map (if there is one) and deposit items there?

The only other way besides that is to pick up an item from say... a village while having your inventory full. You'll be asked to send something to the supply.

Managing space is tricky if you're heavy on capturing and taking items... makes you wish Merlinus with movement was in this game instead of FE7.

Thank you.

So, a village or a chest will let you send it to the supply if your inventory is full? More importantly, since I can't read anything since many of the menus aren't translated, is there a way to screw it up and drop the item instead of sending it to the supply?

And yeah, I'd love a moving supply. At least I finally get a preparations screen now that I'm at chapter 8.

Until you fill the space of the supply house, whatever you drop will go there instantly, even if it isn't logical (like chapter 5's chests, considering you're escaping from a castle).

I assume you mean only when I have a full inventory and get something from a village/chest, rather than when I simply go into a character's items and tell him/her to drop something.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I assume you mean only when I have a full inventory and get something from a village/chest, rather than when I simply go into a character's items and tell him/her to drop something.

If by the inventory you mean the 128 items possible you can have in the supply house, yes.

It's pretty difficult to actually fill it out completely. I know I love capturing a lot but I never filled it out, espcially since you can have useless units hold 7 of your items for you.

Edited by Dio

So, a village or a chest will let you send it to the supply if your inventory is full? More importantly, since I can't read anything since many of the menus aren't translated, is there a way to screw it up and drop the item instead of sending it to the supply?

In the prep screen? Yeah. I'll make some screenshots with detail on what the options in the prep screen mean.

Until you fill the space of the supply house, whatever you drop will go there instantly, even if it isn't logical (like chapter 5's chests, considering you're escaping from a castle).

Yes.

In the prep screen? Yeah. I'll make some screenshots with detail on what the options in the prep screen mean.

I more meant when I go to a village and my unit has 7 items, is there a way to accidentally drop an item rather than send it to the supply.

Yes.

Thank you.

And yeah, if I run into issues with the 128 slots I can have units I'll never use carry stuff.

I more meant when I go to a village and my unit has 7 items, is there a way to accidentally drop an item rather than send it to the supply.

No.

Here's the item menus if you need 'em:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ly6f0m.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z56oba.jpg

Hand Axes stop existing later. If you want your Axe users to have ranged attack, you'll want to get as many as possible.

Edited by Vergil

No.

Here's the item menus if you need 'em:

http://i45.tinypic.com/2ly6f0m.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/1z56oba.jpg

Thanks again.

Hand Axes stop existing later. If you want your Axe users to have ranged attack, you'll want to get as many as possible.

Okay. Do enemies stop using them too? Although I guess even if they don't stop using them it's still better to not have to capture too many enemies.

(Funny arena story:

My character had 80% hit and missed 4 out of 7. Enemy had ~56% hit and missed 5 out of 6. It's only funny because I won.)

Also, PC of 0 means no crits ever on the second attack, right?

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Okay. Do enemies stop using them too? Although I guess even if they don't stop using them it's still better to not have to capture too many enemies.

You get them from the enemies (and armory in C8). Though after that post I was told that there are a few Hand Axes in C20 and C21x. The C20 ones are from the last batch of Reinforcements and chances are that by then, you'll have prevented them.

Yes, 0 PCC means no crit ever on the 2nd attack (assuming it's Pursuit and not Duel).

Edited by Vergil

You get them from the enemies (and armory in C8). Though after that post I was told that there are a few Hand Axes in C20 and C21x. The C20 ones are from the last batch of Reinforcements and chances are that by then, you'll have prevented them.

Mind you, I only checked reinforcements. Let me see with Nightmare or something for starting troops.

EDIT: All Axe Armors and Mercs in 21x have one.

Edited by Dio

Are there any translations out there that more fully translate the menus? I mean, it's great that the translation to which this site has a link seems to translate all the speeches and a couple of menus, but I'd much rather all the different menus were translated. Like the battle preparation menus and the unit screens and things like that. And all the battle options.

No.

The guy who made the patch disappeared too, so someone else would need to translate the menus.

I think you end up dropping an item IF your supply is already full. But that probably won't happen too often considering that characters you're not using can easily carry the stuff that you're not using (save them for later).

Can anyone explain why Tania didn't get poisoned in chapter 8x? I'm pretty sure she was attacked and successfully hit (causing damage) by poison weapons twice in the chapter and she didn't get poisoned. (I'm on chapter 13 now for the curious. Felgus and Karin failed statistics and are way over in multiple stats.)

Can anyone explain why Tania didn't get poisoned in chapter 8x? I'm pretty sure she was attacked and successfully hit (causing damage) by poison weapons twice in the chapter and she didn't get poisoned. (I'm on chapter 13 now for the curious. Felgus and Karin failed statistics and are way over in multiple stats.)

That's a question for the ages. I couldn't tell ya.

Then again, I do recall people saying that no status staffer would dare try to target Cyrus (Cyas, whatever). It could be something about the class itself (that being staff maining classes) just being resistant to status effects. I could see how something like that could slip under the radar, because A. If a healer is attacked, it is a rare occurance, along with the existence of poison weapons, B. Staffers are usually the last priority of status staffers, and finally C. Who would think to test this out in the first place?

It's weird and unlikely, but if Cyrus has magical can't be status'd powers for apparently no reason...

That's a question for the ages. I couldn't tell ya.

Then again, I do recall people saying that no status staffer would dare try to target Cyrus (Cyas, whatever). It could be something about the class itself (that being staff maining classes) just being resistant to status effects. I could see how something like that could slip under the radar, because A. If a healer is attacked, it is a rare occurance, along with the existence of poison weapons, B. Staffers are usually the last priority of status staffers, and finally C. Who would think to test this out in the first place?

Because the cursor is locked so you can't target the bastard and if you can target him, the RNG is fixed so you can't kill him (or status) like C11 Kempf and C5 Ledrick and Berdo (Berdo can be captured though :D)

Anyway, stat may play a role in reducing the chances of your units getting a status effect. I've yet to see a regular enemy not fall asleep when I use the Sleep Sword and I usually make use of the 30 you can obtain from C16 Sol.

Anyway, further proof of status effects from weapons not working:

Pahn didn't get Berserked.

Edited by Vergil

I'm basically just confused that it happened twice on the same character and every other unit I've had that got hit and took damage from a weapon that can poison did get poisoned. I mean, she's just a Bow Fighter with no skills or special items. It makes me wonder if she just can't be poisoned.

The other weird thing is in chapter 12.

Mareeta standing on the village from which she appears and Leaf sometimes didn't get targeted. It's weird. The guy is inconsistent. Sometimes playing the map if I just kept units with <8 mag (like Othin, a few times) away from the enemies (at least 3 squares outside of the maximum range of any enemy) they weren't put to sleep. Other times they were really far from any enemy and were still put to sleep. Then I used pure waters to make sure that only Leaf and Mareeta had < 8 mag. And then Leaf was never put to sleep until turn 4 at the earliest. The sleep user just sat there the other times. If I moved Mareeta off the village and sent her towards the boss, he'd put her to sleep as early as turn 2 (first opportunity). If I left her on the village, he only put her to sleep once on turn 3, otherwise he left her alone until turn 4 or later.

Mareeta standing on the village from which she appears and Leaf sometimes didn't get targeted. It's weird. The guy is inconsistent. Sometimes playing the map if I just kept units with <8 mag (like Othin, a few times) away from the enemies (at least 3 squares outside of the maximum range of any enemy) they weren't put to sleep. Other times they were really far from any enemy and were still put to sleep. Then I used pure waters to make sure that only Leaf and Mareeta had < 8 mag. And then Leaf was never put to sleep until turn 4 at the earliest. The sleep user just sat there the other times. If I moved Mareeta off the village and sent her towards the boss, he'd put her to sleep as early as turn 2 (first opportunity). If I left her on the village, he only put her to sleep once on turn 3, otherwise he left her alone until turn 4 or later.

If Seram has a pattern, then I have no clue what it is. I've seen him sit idly in his turn sometimes too. He usually targets the big dangerous units that lack Magic (guys like Othin) but he never seemed to have a fixed target.

In any case, it's best to just let Mareeta try to get to him ASAP and capture him. If you're lucky, his Sleep staff hopefully won't break by then.

If Seram has a pattern, then I have no clue what it is. I've seen him sit idly in his turn sometimes too. He usually targets the big dangerous units that lack Magic (guys like Othin) but he never seemed to have a fixed target.

In any case, it's best to just let Mareeta try to get to him ASAP and capture him. If you're lucky, his Sleep staff hopefully won't break by then.

I just went with abuse, basically. Save states + rewind. Also made sure everyone but Leaf and Mareeta had at least 8 magic at all times. Left Mareeta on her little village and had Karin go over there as fast as possible. Only thing is that I had her in 11 or 11x or both, not sure which, either way she started the chapter on foot so it took until turn 4. No idea why the guy doesn't mess with Leaf until turn 4, but by turn 4 EP he was captured and couldn't do anything. Turn 2 he so far hasn't ever put Mareeta to sleep if she's on her village, so it was just turn 3 where I abused to make him not sleep her. It was strange since I moved one unit forward and he put Mareeta to sleep, so next time I did a little retreat and he left her alone. Karin is ridiculously str blessed somehow (honest, most of it isn't resets) so I had her drop down off her peg and she had just enough str to capture him with a crit + hit (or hit + crit) using a kill sword (at half str due to capturing). One rewind and an Asvel (or someone) attack later (on some brigand on the other side of the map) and he was captured (she got hit, though). Didn't even have to force the nearby enemies to miss since they missed the first time so she lived (they would have KOd). Also, was it just me or do the brigands never attack the villages until turn 3 EP? Also they seemed to completely ignore the village on which Mareeta starts the time she was put to sleep. They captured her, but didn't destroy the village even the following turn.

(If I finish the game without getting too annoyed, I may eventually try an honest playthrough. I didn't do a truly honest playthrough of RD until my 3rd playthrough, nor have I yet done one for fe4 and the only honest playthrough of fe9 was probably when I played fixed mode (it was NM).)

Seram should hopefully have at least one use of his Sleep Staff left because you're gonna need it if you end up taking Route A later. Also, watch out for your Pure Water stock because those stuff aren't cheap and they're exceptionally valuable in FE5 since they boost both magic AND resistance (since both the stats are the same now).

Karin being Strength blessed? By any chance, was she holding any scrolls during her level ups? Particularly the Hezul and Neir scrolls? Scrolls boost growth rates of different stats so it might not have been pure RNG luck that made Karin strong.

And no, I never saw the brigands attacking Mareeta's village either although that's because she never fell asleep and killed all or most of the bandits in that side of the map. I think the only village that I did see being attacked was the one with the Silence Staff.

imo Ch 10 was one of the annoyingest chapters in the game so the rest of the game might not be so frustrating for you. I think it's because of the save states that the enemies have some sort of pattern. I always reset when I fail so Seram's targets were quite random and I couldn't manipulate them in any way. Just letting you know.

Seram should hopefully have at least one use of his Sleep Staff left because you're gonna need it if you end up taking Route A later. Also, watch out for your Pure Water stock because those stuff aren't cheap and they're exceptionally valuable in FE5 since they boost both magic AND resistance (since both the stats are the same now).

Yeah, I was conserving them until this chapter. It's just, I really wanted that sleep staff to have uses remaining. I have 2 left, I think, along with all 5 uses of the M Up staff. Hopefully that plus whatever I get later is enough.

Karin being Strength blessed? By any chance, was she holding any scrolls during her level ups? Particularly the Hezul and Neir scrolls? Scrolls boost growth rates of different stats so it might not have been pure RNG luck that made Karin strong.

She's got 16 str instead of like 9 at level 18. Even Baldo + Neir + Hezul for all of her levels wouldn't pull that off, and she had some scroll use but not that much and was a decent level when Neir appeared anyway. Felgus capped str at 20/1 and he barely saw any scrolls. Maybe 4 or 5 levels worth. He's 6 above average. I don't even think I ever reset for any of his levels, either.

imo Ch 10 was one of the annoyingest chapters in the game so the rest of the game might not be so frustrating for you. I think it's because of the save states that the enemies have some sort of pattern. I always reset when I fail so Seram's targets were quite random and I couldn't manipulate them in any way. Just letting you know.

Ch 10 was the one with Olwen and Fred as enemies for a few turns, right? What I found annoying there was trying to capture the southwest thief since he had a lockpick. The villages weren't a huge problem after a couple of tries.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Are there any classes that can't go beyond B (or some other level less than A) in any weapons/staves before promotion?

AFAIK all classes can reach A rank before promotion, assuming they could even use that weapon/tome/staff in the first place.

FE5 AI is just weird. Considering the way enemy stats work, I wouldn't be surprised if that's random too. But I've never heard of a unit not getting status'd if hit by a status weapon.

Oh, and next time you want Salem's sleep staff in one piece, just Warp over Fin or someone else capable of instantly capturing him. Or warp Lifis and steal the thing.

Edited by Mekkah

FE5 AI is just weird. Considering the way enemy stats work, I wouldn't be surprised if that's random too. But I've never heard of a unit not getting status'd if hit by a status weapon.

Oh, and next time you want Salem's sleep staff in one piece, just Warp over Fin or someone else capable of instantly capturing him. Or warp Lifis and steal the thing.

Probably the capturing thing. Sleep has 8 wt and while I'm getting lucky with the build of some units (Karin, Mareeta, Felgus), I'm getting unlucky with others (Lifis is at base build, for one thing). 10% from Neir can't do much so it's mostly blessing and cursing that I'm getting.

Also, Karin is getting way blessed in str and mag. Makes me wish she was like fe4 Pegs. Give her staves and let her use swords while airborne and she'd be way cool. Even without staves she'd be cool.